IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

1 hour ago, iacas said:
GettyImages-1308356544.jpg

With COVID-19 restrictions lifted, the city is seeing huge crowds and mass arrests.

Hmmmmmm.

I am just hoping those spring breakers do not bring it back home with them and start new spikes, and hopefully do not kill someone’s loved one.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, StuM said:

I am just hoping those spring breakers do not bring it back home with them and start new spikes, and hopefully do not kill someone’s loved one.

... again. 

00virus-springbreak-promo-videoSixteenBy

People got sick — and some died — after attending crowded parties and theme parks in Florida as the coronavirus spread.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

55 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

... again. 

00virus-springbreak-promo-videoSixteenBy

People got sick — and some died — after attending crowded parties and theme parks in Florida as the coronavirus spread.

History does not repeat itself, but it often rhymes.  Attributed to Mark Twain.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Interesting-We have not heard from @David in FL  the last few days.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

11 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I don't think David is the type to party and revel with the Spring Break kids in Miami.  But who knows?  I will check the obits.

Playing golf and shooting pool.  Pool tournament this past weekend in my local room.  Played ok, but pretty much out of my league.  Finished T22 out of 64 which was actually good for me.  

Not a big deal with respect to the closures in Miami.  Ft Lauderdale is only 25 miles away and happy to have a few more.  Bike week was last week in Daytona and was a “roaring” success by all reports.

My only complaint is that it’s gonna be in the 90’s this week and our member/member starts Friday.  That’s way too damn hot this early in the year!  😑

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

"OMG all those Super Bowl celebrations will spread COVID!" 

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2021/03/03/tampas-super-bowl-was-not-a-coronavirus-super-spreader-officials-say/

Now it's "Look at all those people having fun, STOP THEM!" 

Spring breakers are a low risk group, they'll be fine. 

Also, open the schools!

COVID-19-SM-1200px-v2.jpg

CDC provides credible COVID-19 health information to the U.S.

Based on the data available, in-person learning in schools has not been associated with substantial community transmission. Although national COVID-19 case incidence rates among children and adolescents have risen over time, this trend parallels trends observed among adults.17 Increases in case incidence among school-aged children and school reopenings do not appear to pre-date increases in community transmission.17,32-34

- Mark

29 minutes ago, David in FL said:

My only complaint is that it’s gonna be in the 90’s this week and our member/member starts Friday.  That’s way too damn hot this early in the year!  😑

It was perfect when I was down there a few weeks ago. It actually could have been a bit warmer for my tastes.

As for COVID, it will be made available to our employees and families in early April. I guess I am still not sold...

- Shane

1 hour ago, Braivo said:

This is like saying Mary Mallon was low risk for Typhoid. They’re low risk for serious complications, not low risk for contracting the disease. They can still be carriers.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, Braivo said:

Also, open the schools!

Spring breakers may (mostly) be fine, but they certainly can transmit the virus to waitresses and bartenders who're taking care of them in Florida, and they certainly can bring the virus home to their loved ones, friends, university instructors, and others they may need to be around.  Of course they're just college students, they don't always think about the long-term effects of their selfishness or foolishness.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Spring breakers may (mostly) be fine, but they certainly can transmit the virus to waitresses and bartenders who're taking care of them in Florida, and they certainly can bring the virus home to their loved ones, friends, university instructors, and others they may need to be around.  Of course they're just college students, they don't always think about the long-term effects of their selfishness or foolishness.

Several universities and colleges cancelled both fall and spring breaks because of this. 

The only graph that matters in my opinion - hospitalizations. The only reason we closed things down was to avoid overwhelming the hospital system. We flattened the curve into submission and are nowhere near threatening capacity. With the vulnerable population largely vaccinated, we are unlikely to get anywhere close again. Forcing closures should be a last resort to avoid overwhelming our medial system. That is not the case, so no such measures should be in place. 

hospital-admissions.jpg

- Mark

2 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

It was perfect when I was down there a few weeks ago. It actually could have been a bit warmer for my tastes.

As for COVID, it will be made available to our employees and families in early April. I guess I am still not sold...

Courses are in really good shape right now though!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

23 minutes ago, Braivo said:

With the vulnerable population largely vaccinated, we are unlikely to get anywhere close again.

I'd suggest you're jumping the gun a bit, as you've consistently chosen to do.  13% of the total population is fully vaccinated, 42% of those over 65.  Those numbers are headed in the right direction, and faster all the time, so in a few more weeks I'd be inclined to agree with you, but not yet.  Unlike the spring breakers, who I expect to act like idiots, I hope our public officials act like adults.  

One thing I've noted with the graphs and trends over the past year, a trend usually continues for a few weeks after any action is taken that might change it.  We could open absolutely everything right now, and still see cases and deaths and hospital occupancy continue to decline for a couple of weeks.  The graph you presented indicates that the decline in admissions is slowing.  That in itself could be an indication that admissions are likely to level out and then increase in the next few weeks.  This could be just the same as happened in August and September in the same chart, the decline slowing, levelling out, and eventually admissions rising steeply.  Continued caution is appropriate.  Not complete closures and lockdown, but caution.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'd suggest you're jumping the gun a bit, as you've consistently chosen to do.  13% of the total population is fully vaccinated, 42% of those over 65.  Those numbers are headed in the right direction, and faster all the time, so in a few more weeks I'd be inclined to agree with you, but not yet.  Unlike the spring breakers, who I expect to act like idiots, I hope our public officials act like adults.  

One thing I've noted with the graphs and trends over the past year, a trend usually continues for a few weeks after any action is taken that might change it.  We could open absolutely everything right now, and still see cases and deaths and hospital occupancy continue to decline for a couple of weeks.  The graph you presented indicates that the decline in admissions is slowing.  That in itself could be an indication that admissions are likely to level out and then increase in the next few weeks.  This could be just the same as happened in August and September in the same chart, the decline slowing, levelling out, and eventually admissions rising steeply.  Continued caution is appropriate.  Not complete closures and lockdown, but caution.  

Along with what @DaveP043says the other thing to keep in mind are the chances for mutations (or "variants" as they like to call them). The more open things are now - like the spring breakers - the better the chance that we'll end up with a mutation that might render our current vaccines less useful. The sooner we stop the spread the better our chances of containing this thing and preventing that from occurring.

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, Braivo said:

The only graph that matters in my opinion - hospitalizations. The only reason we closed things down was to avoid overwhelming the hospital system. We flattened the curve into submission and are nowhere near threatening capacity. With the vulnerable population largely vaccinated, we are unlikely to get anywhere close again. Forcing closures should be a last resort to avoid overwhelming our medial system. That is not the case, so no such measures should be in place. 

hospital-admissions.jpg

@Braivo, in addition to what @DaveP043 says about your bullshit understanding of the facts (of course he isn't as direct about it), and then @Zippo about the spreading of variants that have unknown potential… the "hospitalizations" graph isn't all there is to it.

There are deaths to consider. There are the long-term effects of COVID-19, which we don't know, to consider. There are several other things you're seemingly willfully ignoring to paint as rosy of a false picture here as you can.

I didn't fear getting COVID-19 myself very much, but had I gotten it, I wouldn't have been able to work for 2+ weeks and would be out a few thousand dollars. I wouldn't want to consider that I could have passed it on to some kid, who passed it on to their grandmother, who then got sick or died.

Also, vaccines are only 95% effective at stopping severe infections/death, they're not a shield that stops someone from getting COVID-19.

Science, man. Stop being this guy:

No Way Reaction GIF by Andrew Deitsch Podcast

You're totally Leon Letting this thing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets