IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I don’t disagree, but he is more of an expert in this than we are.

What if he’s right and we should have looser restrictions right now? What if kids should be in school?

Plenty of experts are behind the flatten the curve movement too so you'll always have a minority of experts who have an alternate and possibly valid opinion.

My brothers live in Australia where they have only 50 or so deaths since the first comfirmed case in late january. Their schools and creches are still open so as not to have parents landing their kids on grandparents etc. It seems to be working for them, however I personally think warmer climates dont suffer nearly as bad.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

FWIW “Hmmmmm” is what I say to things that feel pretty outrageous. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

FWIW “Hmmmmm” is what I say to things that feel pretty outrageous. 🙂

Noted, I would have assumed it was "hmmmm interesting" while rubbing your chin 😂

Just now, iacas said:

I don’t disagree, but he is more of an expert in this than we are.

What if he’s right and we should have looser restrictions right now? What if kids should be in school?

I know.  Competing experts with opposing views.

I see my town with almost empty streets, a lot of things shut down, because of this tiny enemy.  And it's not like I can go into my hospital and see the effects of the disease like doctors in other cities are seeing--yet.  So I wonder if the preventive measures are working as we hope they should, so far--at least here.  I know there will be a lot of Monday-morning quarterbacking when this has run its course.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Looks like the curve for WA is starting to flatten according to latest data. Schools were closed for the year already, though. Our May 4 opening looks hopeful!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I just went on to the worldwide cases overview, I was shocked to see the US has over 400000 cases, I knew they were getting hit hard but that blew my mind, China only had 80000 cases with a population of a billion plus, their draconian measures might be an idea for the US 

3 hours ago, Nail said:

When this all kicked off in China I never really thought it would get so widespread, now my Mrs is in hospital for the last 3 days and has tested positive for this dreaded virus, my two kids and I have to self isolate for 14 days, I had to drop her to the hospital door and leave, she is showing some signs of improvement but won't be getting home yet. She is only 35.

Thinking of you and your family. Glad she is showing signs of improvement.

- Shane

4 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Thinking of you and your family. Glad she is showing signs of improvement.

Thanks pal

1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

I know.  Our numbers are slowly climbing every couple of days; we're still 18 cases for my 2-county area.  NYT shows we have case doubling of 9 days for one of my counties, 26 for another.  We're postponing some (not all) medical procedures to prevent spread.  I don't know if we're doing a great job and we're benefiting from the experience of other larger populations, or if it would be lower and slower here even if we were doing less.

I think Fauci made a statement about 2 weeks ago to the effect of "I hope people will say that we over-reacted when this is over."

If you divide cases by population you see a better picture.  Calif's strict measures seem to be helping (population 40 million, one of the early states to be hit, high density cities, poverty, a large homeless population).  Cases and deaths per million are a little lower than Missouri's.

Edited by No Mulligans

4 hours ago, Nail said:

When this all kicked off in China I never really thought it would get so widespread, now my Mrs is in hospital for the last 3 days and has tested positive for this dreaded virus, my two kids and I have to self isolate for 14 days, I had to drop her to the hospital door and leave, she is showing some signs of improvement but won't be getting home yet. She is only 35.

Hoping for the best.   Godspeed.  

At Henry Ford Health System, 734 employees have tested positive for COVID-19 since tracking began on March 12. Around 1,500 Beaumont workers, including 500 nurses, are off the job with coronavirus symptoms. At Michigan Medicine, the health system affiliated with the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, reports around 110 employees are sick with coronavirus.  (copied from Detroit Freepress).

It's hitting Detroit hard.  Can you imagine having 1,500 works off of the job!  Makes you wonder how things are getting done.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I am hearing sirens all day. This sucks. And I am in an area that has one of the lowest number of cases.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 4/5/2020 at 7:22 AM, iacas said:

@Yukari, you're reading it wrong. If someone's chances of getting a pathogen are greatly reduced, that's a form of "protection" against the pathogen.

It doesn't have to be 100% effective to qualify as "protection." You can wear eye protection, but that doesn't guarantee nothing will damage your eyes.

20200309awUPMC10-1586052248.jpg

UPMC is developing an immunity test that could allow those with antibodies against COVID-19 to safely return to a normal routine.  

See: (as I've said it is the rate of transmission being reduced)

2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I am hearing sirens all day. This sucks. And I am in an area that has one of the lowest number of cases.

That's not boding well.  We just had the highest death in 24 hours anywhere from this.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

I know there will be a lot of Monday-morning quarterbacking when this has run its course.

I’d rather do “too much” than “too little” but I’d rather do the right amount. Just no way to know what that is.

3 hours ago, Nail said:

I just went on to the worldwide cases overview, I was shocked to see the US has over 400000 cases, I knew they were getting hit hard but that blew my mind, China only had 80000 cases with a population of a billion plus, their draconian measures might be an idea for the US 

You can’t trust any of the numbers out of China.

50 minutes ago, Yukari said:

See: (as I've said it is the rate of transmission being reduced)

None of what you posted refutes what I had said.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, Nail said:

First off, I hope your wife gets better soon.

China has lied about this from the jump, and I read an article the other day that stated that the crematoriums in the Wuhan area have been running non-stop, day and night, which means a lot more have died than they are willing to admit.  North Korea reports zero cases, probably because if you cough or sneeze in public (or one of your neighbors hears you cough or sneeze in your home) you get whisked off to a gulag and machine-gunned to death.  "Look world... no COVID-19 cases... just a lot of acute lead poisoning."  Iran has also reported a remarkably low death toll, given that satellite photos show them digging trenches in a cemetery a hundred or so yards long.

It will really be interesting to see what all shakes out from this on a global stage over the next year or so.

Edited by bwdial

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

9 hours ago, bwdial said:

First off, I hope your wife gets better soon.

China has lied about this from the jump, and I read an article the other day that stated that the crematoriums in the Wuhan area have been running non-stop, day and night, which means a lot more have died than they are willing to admit.  North Korea reports zero cases, probably because if you cough or sneeze in public (or one of your neighbors hears you cough or sneeze in your home) you get whisked off to a gulag and machine-gunned to death.  "Look world... no COVID-19 cases... just a lot of acute lead poisoning."  Iran has also reported a remarkably low death toll, given that satellite photos show them digging trenches in a cemetery a hundred or so yards long.

It will really be interesting to see what all shakes out from this on a global stage over the next year or so.

I agree 100% about North Korea, Iran and China. You wouldn’t believe a word out of any of the governments of those countries

I don't believe we'll ever know all of the numbers even here in the US.   Sure we may know the deaths but we'll never know who was affected but showed no signs of the virus.   The scary part, these people could/can spread Covid-19 just as easily as people with symptoms.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

5 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I don't believe we'll ever know all of the numbers even here in the US.   Sure we may know the deaths but we'll never know who was affected but showed no signs of the virus.   The scary part, these people could/can spread Covid-19 just as easily as people with symptoms.  

My wife and I are pretty certain that we had it in January.  We both had symptoms that we couldn't shake, including the tightness in the chest and congestion, but coughs refused to produce any phlegm.  It sounded like a wet cough, but it was dry and hacking.  She got checked for the flu, but was negative.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

6 minutes ago, bwdial said:

My wife and I are pretty certain that we had it in January.  We both had symptoms that we couldn't shake, including the tightness in the chest and congestion, but coughs refused to produce any phlegm.  It sounded like a wet cough, but it was dry and hacking.  She got checked for the flu, but was negative.

I have been hearing that A LOT, and my family is no exception.

I have an unrelated doctor appointment today. This should be interesting...

- Shane