IGNORED

Tee Shot Comes to Rest in a Divot Hole in the Fairway

KoHo
Note: This thread is 1419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

TEE SHOT LANDS IN DIVOT  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How many times a year does your tee shot come to rest in a divot in the fairway?

• Less than 1 time a year
    • 1 or 2 times a year
    • More than 3 times a year

I'd say it probably happens once per year. I don't find it to be a reoccurring problem because it seems like most courses that I play now either don't have enough people hitting it in the fairway (myself very much included) or don't have anything resembling a consistent landing area for people's drives due to varying distances off the tee.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play a lot of golf and divot holes have never been much of an issue. I answered 1-2 times a year, but I really can't remember the last one I was in. At the course where I play I would say just general bad lies happen much more often. We play it down most of the time and I get a bare lie in the fairway probably once every other round, especially in late winter and early spring. You play it as it lies, it makes you a better player in the end.

As far as all the whiners out there that complain about how unfair the rules are, Its the same people that probably complain about anything that doesn't go their way. Get over it, life is tough, wear a cup.

• Like 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I know it's not legal but if I land in a divot and the divot has been filled in with sand i will hit it from there. If the divot left was not filled in by an inconsiderate previous player I move it out.  I'm not playing tournament golf just for enjoyment.

2 hours ago, Keysbear152 said:

I know it's not legal but if I land in a divot and the divot has been filled in with sand i will hit it from there. If the divot left was not filled in by an inconsiderate previous player I move it out.  I'm not playing tournament golf just for enjoyment.

I would encourage you to just play it out of the divot. It may not be tournament golf, but it's still golf.

- Shane

I just treat it as bad luck and play it as it lies. Take one less club and make sure to make a steeper swing.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

I observe the local lift and clean rule except between June 20 and September 22 when I have to hit out of the divot. My divot landers have typically occurred prior to or after summer. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Mentioned this in an earlier post... not a fairway, but I ended up in a divot hole in green side rough three weeks ago.

Just remembered I took a picture:

1432C8E2-8E3E-47A1-A7B4-EA62A43F5D6E.jpeg

It’s literally the only one that I could see on the side of the green. I find myself in the strangest spots often on the course.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

Mentioned this in an earlier post... not a fairway, but I ended up in a divot hole in green side rough three weeks ago.

That's more like a crater!

- Shane

4 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's a shit lie is what it was :-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Huh?

Maybe that picture doesn't do it service, but it look like discoloration to me. A flesh wound.

25 minutes ago, billchao said:

Just remembered I took a picture:

1432C8E2-8E3E-47A1-A7B4-EA62A43F5D6E.jpeg

It’s literally the only one that I could see on the side of the green. I find myself in the strangest spots often on the course.

Let me guess..you flopped it to 3’?

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Let me guess..you flopped it to 3’?

Totally. If by flopped, you mean squibbed, and 3' you mean 20'.

Bill

My Swing Thread

32 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Maybe that picture doesn't do it service, but it look like discoloration to me.

That’s what I thought at first, but if you zoom in it’s a pretty deep gouge, looks almost as deep as the ball, and really narrow too. Actually wondering how someone took that narrow of a divot with a golf club...maybe grass growing in around the divot makes it that way. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

That’s what I thought at first, but if you zoom in it’s a pretty deep gouge, looks almost as deep as the ball, and really narrow too. Actually wondering how someone took that narrow of a divot with a golf club...maybe grass growing in around the divot makes it that way. 

I take divots like this plenty....and I have no idea how I do it. I find it funny when I have to go pick up the stupid thing that is the size and shape of a chopstick (I kid, but they really can be thin).

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

6 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I take divots like this plenty....and I have no idea how I do it. I find it funny when I have to go pick up the stupid thing that is the size and shape of a chopstick (I kid, but they really can be thin).

Your lie angle is probably not right.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Your lie angle is probably not right.

This is something I didn't know. Sometimes I take nice "perfect" divots too though. I am assuming that would just be me manipulating it back to a correct angle at delivery. Any idea if it is more likely too upright or flat? I have never been fit, am on the shorter side, and have standard length clubs.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I said more than 3.   But, thats just because of one hole at my home course.    It's a short par 4, 299 yards.   But, there is a large fescue mound and sand for about 50 yds in front of the green.    So every single person all day long hits to the exact same spot.  end of the fairway about 200-215 out.   leaving an 85-100 wedge in.   and, most amateur golfers take pretty big divots with wedges.   my ball ends up in i divot on that hole a few times per year.   

sometimes I move it, sometimes I don't.   depends on the game I'm playing in. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 1419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!