Jump to content
FlyingAce

Trouble Getting Tee Times

77 posts / 3127 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I can't believe courses support the 15 minute tee time interval, unless they are forced to do it.  Their tendency is to cram more people in rather than fewer... it's about filling the course and maximizing revenue.  Not that I'm complaining...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I can't believe courses support the 15 minute tee time interval, unless they are forced to do it.  Their tendency is to cram more people in rather than fewer... it's about filling the course and maximizing revenue.  Not that I'm complaining...

Window dressing, my friend.  "We are doing our part.  Here is how."
I think it is a cold calculation.  Which would cost more money in the long run? - losing revenue from fewer golfers or facing the wrath of an angry public?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

A bit off topic but I believe the extended tee times both separate groups but also limit the number of carts on the course.  15 minute splits  puts a maximum of 16 carts on the course per hour and a total of 64 maximum in 4 hours.  Many of our local courses only have about 60 carts so to keep carts available to the groups later in the day, they limit how many go out.

As to all the games that are being played at @FlyingAce's private club, I might seek out similarly affected members and go as a group to the head pro. Present a series of reasonable changes you would like to see instituted.  Give the pro a chance to make things right.  If he ignores your reasonable requests, it might be time to find a new club.

That is solved by some of the local course here by allowing only 2 carts per tee time.  Basically, first come first serve for the carts for a tee time.  

It doesn't bother me as I prefer walking anyway, but I've seen some people who were not happy that they did not get a cart for their tee time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Some of the places I play require pre-payment. That would solve the issue.

Not if you are a paying member

16 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Setting tee times has unfortunately become necessary around here and nobody takes tee times for a single.

Frustratingly, I actually worked Memorial Day so that I could play with a friend of mine yesterday. Dude sends me a message at 1 a.m. Tuesday that he won't be able to make it.

I really miss the days of being able to just show up at my old home courses any old time and know I was going to get on one of them.

 

Had a good one today: Checked Dales and Hills tee times at 2 pm (cant make less than 2 hours out online) and it was all clear on Dales. Went to the course at 350 expecting to get on easy on Dales. Pro shop guy tells me they are all booked until after 6! Luckily there was a guy in the shop that said he had a 4:10 for 3 and I was welcome to join. I played 9 with them (all they booked), made the turn, and caught a 3some on 9 of Hills. I played 20 holes (10 on each course) and had a blast meeting 6 new friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

A bit off topic but I believe the extended tee times both separate groups but also limit the number of carts on the course.  15 minute splits  puts a maximum of 16 carts on the course per hour and a total of 64 maximum in 4 hours.  Many of our local courses only have about 60 carts so to keep carts available to the groups later in the day, they limit how many go out.

As to all the games that are being played at @FlyingAce's private club, I might seek out similarly affected members and go as a group to the head pro. Present a series of reasonable changes you would like to see instituted.  Give the pro a chance to make things right.  If he ignores your reasonable requests, it might be time to find a new club.

I am not the only one who has been watching the tee sheet and notice who keeps getting tee times. There is definitely favoritism at my club for a bunch of members. I asked the headpro and he said tee times are scheduled by a lottery system so everyone has a fair chance of getting/missing tee times. And if they always get a tee time, then they are just lucky. Yeah right...

This has been a problem for many years and it is likely not going to change because the headpro is not going anywhere. It wasn’t as obvious when we had regular 7-min tee times but very obvious now with limited availability. 

I just turned in my 30-day notice to end my membership and have joined another club that only has 40 members with wide open courses! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

I just turned in my 30-day notice to end my membership and have joined another club that only has 40 members with wide open courses! 

Good for you. I was going to say from everything you’ve described about your course, it’s poorly run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’m out of town watching the grandson while my daughter/son in law work from home. I get out to the range/9 hole par 3 when I can. As a single player right now I haven’t even attempted to get a tee time at a regulation course. If I was back home I’m sure I could pull it off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, billchao said:

Good for you. I was going to say from everything you’ve described about your course, it’s poorly run.

Golf is supposed to be fun and relaxing, but it has been very stressful for me to secure tee times. So my husband decided to join another club so I don’t stress him out too by complaining every day! 

29 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

I’m out of town watching the grandson while my daughter/son in law work from home. I get out to the range/9 hole par 3 when I can. As a single player right now I haven’t even attempted to get a tee time at a regulation course. If I was back home I’m sure I could pull it off

Do you prefer to play alone or do you mean a regulation course wouldn’t even fit you in with a 3some to play? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

Golf is supposed to be fun and relaxing, but it has been very stressful for me to secure tee times. So my husband decided to join another club so I don’t stress him out too by complaining every day! 

I don't think I would be a member at a club that requires "luck" to get on the course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, FlyingAce said:

I am not the only one who has been watching the tee sheet and notice who keeps getting tee times. There is definitely favoritism at my club for a bunch of members. I asked the headpro and he said tee times are scheduled by a lottery system so everyone has a fair chance of getting/missing tee times. And if they always get a tee time, then they are just lucky. Yeah right...

This has been a problem for many years and it is likely not going to change because the headpro is not going anywhere. It wasn’t as obvious when we had regular 7-min tee times but very obvious now with limited availability. 

I just turned in my 30-day notice to end my membership and have joined another club that only has 40 members with wide open courses! 

It sounds like a secret handshake men's club. Er, secret elbow bump men's club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FlyingAce said:

Golf is supposed to be fun and relaxing, but it has been very stressful for me to secure tee times. So my husband decided to join another club so I don’t stress him out too by complaining every day! 

Do you prefer to play alone or do you mean a regulation course wouldn’t even fit you in with a 3some to play? 

   At this point the two courses I’d play are pretty wishy washy about working a single in. I’m good with it now. The course has one par four and I can hit driver on the range. $10 bucks a round. 

Edited by chilepepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

Golf is supposed to be fun and relaxing, but it has been very stressful for me to secure tee times. So my husband decided to join another club so I don’t stress him out too by complaining every day! 

Do you prefer to play alone or do you mean a regulation course wouldn’t even fit you in with a 3some to play? 

Have you spoken with the club about the issue? I assume every other member is dealing with this too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

Golf is supposed to be fun and relaxing

What? I didn’t get the memo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/27/2020 at 11:05 AM, FlyingAce said:

@NM Golf are you still around? How is it at Arroyo?

Arroyo is really busy we fill up with tee times very quickly. We are taking tee times 7 days in advance, if you don't call within the first few hours the morning times are gone.

We are going every 12 minutes. We were doing 15 minutes but switched a few weeks ago. Need a time? I can get you one if you tell me early enough.

Edited by NM Golf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Arroyo is really busy we fill up with tee times very quick. We are taking tee times 7 days in advance, if you don't call within the first few hours the morning times are gone.

You have to call?  Or can you do it online?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You have to call?  Or can you do it online?

You have to call or be there in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Arroyo is really busy we fill up with tee times very quickly. We are taking tee times 7 days in advance, if you don't call within the first few hours the morning times are gone.

We are going every 12 minutes. We were doing 15 minutes but switched a few weeks ago. Need a time? I can get you one if you tell me early enough.

Is there a mandate for X minutes? I heard the governor called our GM about members congregating and next thing we know it is 15 minutes...

Thanks for your offer! We are going to Paako for the rest of the season. We played there last weekend and had the whole course to ourselves until hole 16. Nice to be quiet and peaceful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

A bit off topic but I believe the extended tee times both separate groups but also limit the number of carts on the course.  15 minute splits  puts a maximum of 16 carts on the course per hour and a total of 64 maximum in 4 hours.  Many of our local courses only have about 60 carts so to keep carts available to the groups later in the day, they limit how many go out.

As to all the games that are being played at @FlyingAce's private club, I might seek out similarly affected members and go as a group to the head pro. Present a series of reasonable changes you would like to see instituted.  Give the pro a chance to make things right.  If he ignores your reasonable requests, it might be time to find a new club.

Nope. That's not OT at all. In fact, it's right on topic! Reminded me that a local course who is on my e-mail list sent me an e-mail saying that they were reworking their tee sheet due to a limited number of carts. They have 70 which, according to their math, allowed them to put 140 golfers on the course at one time! Simple math will tell you that is not possible. But, one rider per cart does put limits on them! 

BTW, played another of my favorite courses in the area on Tuesday. They had the plexiglass dividers installed in the carts which, supposedly, makes it OK for 2 to ride together. I didn't have to since we were a threesome. However, that damned plexiglass panel flapping around in the breeze, and flexing this way and that on curves and turns, and repeatedly tattooing the hell out of my right elbow, did NOT add to my enjoyment of the round! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...