260 posts / 9536 viewsLast Reply

11 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Brendon T just hit a drive at a 151 mph ball speed. How the hell does he compete on tour let alone win?

That seems like a low number for most Tour guys..probably was a mis-hit of some sort.

1 hour ago, ShawnSum said:

That seems like a low number for most Tour guys..probably was a mis-hit of some sort.

No, I think he doesn't seem to hit faster than lower buck sixties ever. Driving distance and SG off tee is not impressive at all. Interestingly GIR SG not that great either (overall). But seems to get hot with FIRs and GIRs on weeks he does well. Guess some players are streaky.

It's just that he is been hovering on first page of leaderboards much more lately than I recall last few years. Interesting case in the era of bomb and gouge IMO. Good on him.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, ShawnSum said:

Like @GolfLug said, prolly not. I saw him hit one 156 ball speed a few holes later. It's the game he's able to play. 

11 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Guess some players are streaky.

It's just that he is been hovering on first page of leaderboards much more lately than I recall last few years. Interesting case in the era of bomb and gouge IMO. Good on him.  

When you have to hit 7 iron or longer into all of the greens but your opponents are hitting flip wedges, full wedges, or knockdown short irons, you are bound to be streaky in results.

2 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I saw him hit one 156 ball speed a few holes later. It's the game he's able to play. 

Exactly. There always has to be the short hitters based on the bell curve. The fact that he can still contend is impressive.

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

When you have to hit 7 iron or longer into all of the greens but your opponents are hitting flip wedges, full wedges, or knockdown short irons, you are bound to be streaky in results.

Exactly. There always has to be the short hitters based on the bell curve. The fact that he can still contend is impressive.

The bell curve does not apply to the extreme end of the data, and PGA touring pros are definitely at the extreme end of the data in driving distance.

Just now, turtleback said:

The bell curve does not apply to the extreme end of the data, and PGA touring pros are definitely at the extreme end of the data in driving distance.

I'm not talking about for all golf. I am talking within PGA touring pros, there is still a bell curve. For every Bryson there has to be the guy that doesn't have the distance.

I'm noticing that everybody is hitting their drivers a lot lower on 13 than the rest of the holes - which I'm guessing has something to do with the one tall tree overhanging the line off the right.  Cool to watch.

16 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Every chunk of data has its own private bell curve.

12 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I'm noticing that everybody is hitting their drivers a lot lower on 13 than the rest of the holes - which I'm guessing has something to do with the one tall tree overhanging the line off the right.  Cool to watch.

I would just open up a 1i and carry it all....😏

Haotong Li with a great first nine despite a par on the par-5.  I mostly remember him as the guy who shot a 63 in a major the day after it would no longer tie the record for lowest round in a major.  

Haotong Li in the clubhouse with a 65.  Other than a par on the par-5 fourth hole, he has nothing worse than a 4 on any hole today.  

Jason Day successfully completed the "no fives" challenge yesterday. 

Subscribed to ESPN+ to watch. It's weird using my Disney+ login. Yeah, I know, same company, it's just weird.

41 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Haotong Li in the clubhouse with a 65.  Other than a par on the par-5 fourth hole, he has nothing worse than a 4 on any hole today. 

Hope he enjoys his moment in the sun. Koepka will have him already chased down within a couple hours. Have a feeling Brooks is going to put his foot on the gas today.

Edited by ChrisP

That looked like a pretty brutal mid-read for Tiger at 1. 

1 minute ago, jamo said:

That looked like a pretty brutal mid-read for Tiger at 1. 

Didn't even sniff it.

Why is he constantly rubbing his nose?? Is he sick????

Just now, colin007 said:

Why is he constantly rubbing his nose?? Is he sick????

Cocaine.