IGNORED

Ian Poulter’s Take on Distance Debate

phillyk
Note: This thread is 1258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

120943184_1634672030046926_7044124271808

Debate time - Why does the golf ball travel so far? Is there an easy fix? Let me know your thoughts...

Interesting idea to potentially introduce a minimum driver loft. Haven’t heard that one before. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, phillyk said:
120943184_1634672030046926_7044124271808

Debate time - Why does the golf ball travel so far? Is there an easy fix? Let me know your thoughts...

Interesting idea to potentially introduce a minimum driver loft. Haven’t heard that one before. 

Asinine. All of it. Let it be. Golf isn’t considered one of the hardest sports in the world just because it’s hard to hit it far. If you have to hit it 320yds to compete at the highest level of the sport then so be it. I wonder how many of these whiney distance people are the same who claim they’d rather hit it straighter than farther? 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I agree with everything Ian said.  I do not agree, however, that distance is a problem that needs addressing.  Sure...a long, straight, hole with little in the way of trouble favors the long hitters...but how many of those do we typically encounter?  I'd say it has more to do with course design than it does length off the tee.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• iacas changed the title to Ian Poulter’s Take on Distance Debate
  • Administrator

I'm automatically against anything Ian Poulter says. 🙂

• Like 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

BD didn’t invent the knowledge that swinging up reduces spin. He didn’t develop the training to swing faster either. He has just taken advantage of this knowledge, which is a credit to him. I wish they would stop crediting him with things others came up with. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

17 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm automatically against anything Ian Poulter says. 🙂

Exactly, 

But in this case I will give him a pass on having an original idea. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

19 hours ago, Piz said:

I agree with everything Ian said.  I do not agree, however, that distance is a problem that needs addressing.  Sure...a long, straight, hole with little in the way of trouble favors the long hitters...but how many of those do we typically encounter?  I'd say it has more to do with course design than it does length off the tee.  

BDs win at the US Open kind of goes against this. If he is going to be hitting it as high as he plans on at Augusta there are going to be some crazy lines taken.

My opinion is that the longer player will always have an advantage, no matter what the setup is. Unless you are going to put water for the last 160 yards of every hole before the green, it's something you just can't get around. 

I think that the distance "issue" does need addressing but only because of conservation efforts (water and space). The longest hitters will still have an advantage, but at least you can keep courses true to form. Bifurcation is the only way I see it working, so that casual-amature players can go play the same courses and the courses don't have to keep buying up more land (and using more resources on the space)

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Pretty interesting response by MC.  

• Like 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Isn't the object of the game to get the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible? BDC said he was going to hit 2000 drives in preparation for the Masters. Come on, you can't ban practice and physical fitness. If someone is obsessed enough to put in extra hours of work you can't penalize them for it. You can't penalize everyone else for what he does. I'm sorry, but if they change the rules, someone like BDC will find a way to exploit a weakness in them. He and his coach are those types of guys. They study physics and stuff like that. This whole thing is funny. 

If anything, Crossfield and Poulter convinced me to try adjusting my driver for less loft and see what happens. I have a 18-19 HC. What have I got to lose?

I don't want to see bifurcation. Where do you draw the line for the bifurcation? It would be bad for the game because elite amateurs compete in "Open" events and that opens a new can of worms. You would regret bifurcation. And you would regret rolling back the equipment or the ball because of a handful of players.

Is BDC winning every week? No.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Does anyone regret banning square grooves? Same arguments, same worries, and in the end we don't even think about it. Its kind of funny that since the ban, the average rough on the PGA tour would qualify as first cut at your local muni so that's your way around square grooves.  I don't think rolling the driver back to 8 degrees and 45.5" inches really is going to hurt the average golfer. Maybe we should limit tee length to 2.75" and be done with it. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm all in on the 2.75 inch tees, but gimme back my square grooves.

I just picture Mark Calcavecchia and his Ping wedges when I hear the term "square grooves", spinning it out of the rough. 

We do not tell sprinters to not try to run faster, we do not tell swimmers to not try to swim faster, how about telling tennis players to not work on hitting faster serves.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I don’t think I’ve heard/read an actual good argument that distance is an issue. It seems like all the people arguing that is a problem, don’t want to come to terms with the fact that par doesn’t matter in tournament golf.  

I like the idea.  Why limit cor if distance isn’t a problem.  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

I disagree with Ian as far as making rules changes for the Tour as a response to BDC and others hitting it longer. I do have firsthand knowledge of how much the angle of attack (hitting up vs hitting down on the ball) affects distance off the tee, it has made a big difference in my game. The average weekend golfer would probably benefit from hitting up on it more. 

Note: This thread is 1258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!