IGNORED

Anyone Miss Traditional Golf Attire?

ncates00
Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am not sure what traditional attire is.  Ricky looks good to me.

I remember being a guest at conservative club that hosted many USGA championships.  My host told me to wait in the proshop until he arrived.  He said I could wear shorts but would have to change to play.  Waiting in the proshop, I noticed a humidor with real cubans.    I asked the pro if they were worried someone would squeel on them?   No, because they would never come here again and the Chief of Police would never do anything.  We played in pants. I am not sure why, I play bettd er in slacks.  Went back to a cottage.  Changed into shorts.  Drank, smokecigars, played cards in shorts, lied about stuff that never happened.  Then, we dress in jacket and tie for dinner.

I guess it is about respect for rules.

Untucked shirts and hats on in the clubhouse is rude.

Personally, I don't get the ban on cargo shorts.  I like the pocket for the GPS unit.  I suppose there are not too many clubs not allowing shorts these days

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As long as it meets the course's requirement, it does not matter how one dresses for golf.  I got too much other crap to worry about than how others dress on a golf course.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

As a junior golfer in the UK in the early 1990s, I pestered my Mam to buy me a Pringle sweater just like my hero Nick Faldo's. Does that count as traditional golf attire? Now aged 44, I don't want another one, mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would say that golfers today - amateur and professional - wear clothes that superficially and stylistically have more in common with what players wore in the 1960s and 1970s than what they wore in the 2000s.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Rippy_72 said:

Untucked shirts and hats on in the clubhouse is rude.

How do you figure?

Because then you say something like this.

3 hours ago, Rippy_72 said:

Personally, I don't get the ban on cargo shorts.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I know that when I play a private course that I follow their dress code.   Last year I played 2 private courses and their requirements were no denim or cargo shorts and a tucked collared shirt.    

Traditional style?  If that's traditional, I can live with it.

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

12 minutes ago, colin007 said:

pleated pants

I mentioned no MC Hammer pants. 🙂

12 minutes ago, colin007 said:

saddle style shoes

Meh, they can be done right. Could import newer technology into them to make them more comfortable. But I'm referring to dressier shoes, not necessarily saddle style. Think modern dressy FJ shoes or like what Phil and others wear.

14 minutes ago, colin007 said:

those pictures are disgusting.

"Disgusting" is a bit strong. "Dated" or "of the times" perhaps. A less polyester/jersey look can be done with some modern fitting, i.e., not oversized. Some companies have already done this, like Polo, Lacoste, Penguin, etc. 

19 hours ago, ncates00 said:

I do. Now, to be clear, when I refer to "traditional attire," I'm not referring necessarily to a jacket and tie. Rather, I'm referring to, I suppose what I'll call "modern traditional." (a bit confusing, I know). Note, before continuing, I'm not saying we should go back to the traditional look wholesale. I just think companies could have 2 distinct lines: modern/athletic and traditional/dressy. Additionally, in no way am I suggesting we go back to oversize polos with the sleeves and MC Hammer style pants; I'm just referring to toning down the nascar look a bit. I'll explain:

Headwear

I prefer simpler hats. You'll see a common theme throughout: no gawdy designs that look more like a stock car. Maybe a simple logo, if that. No logos going all the way around the hat.

Tops

Simple polos, sweaters, etc. Think something like 00-11 dressy Tiger Woods shirts for the most part. Certainly he had some athletic looks back in the day, but if you look back at circa 2002, Tiger wore "nicer"/"dressier" looking polos. They were still cotton or a cotton-blend so the look didn't have the same overly sporty "jersey" look of today. No doubt that today's polyester tops feel great and perform great, but they are on-course only. That bright, vivid, jersey polo just doesn't translate well outside the course. Older polos can be worn off course--you can even pair the top with a blazer for work or date night with the spouse. Now I know some companies have more traditional graphics and designs, but they still look overly sporty to me. Some shirts look plain cheap to me, e.g., some of Nike's shirts. They're just too gawdy to me, like too bright and the designs are too flashy. For instance, Tiger's Sunday Red look back then included more muted reds, maroons, etc., as opposed to today's bright reds that look like a football/basketball team shirt.

Shoes

It seems like we could import the new tech and put them into class dress golf shoes. I know some companies still do this, but the trend nowadays is to have running shoes and basketball shoes on the course. I like that look here and there, as I own several pairs of newer Nike shoes. But I find myself missing yesteryear a bit. Perhaps it's nostalgia or something, but I do like that look.

What do you guys and gals think? Maybe I'm too much of an old man haha.

I'm not sure I completely understand your point. It seems like you are saying everyone should dress like Tiger... or maybe Phil. It also seems like you are saying we shouldn't dress like Rickie. 

I don't think I agree. 

13 hours ago, Rippy_72 said:

I am not sure what traditional attire is.  Ricky looks good to me.

I agree. I really like the way Rickie dresses. Having said that, anytime I try on any of his stuff I always look like that old guy who's trying to look young. So, I think it works great for him, but a man's got to know his limitations. And I'm just plain too old to carry off Rickie's style. 

13 hours ago, Yukari said:

As long as it meets the course's requirement, it does not matter how one dresses for golf.  I got too much other crap to worry about than how others dress on a golf course.

This 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

13 hours ago, Rippy_72 said:

Personally, I don't get the ban on cargo shorts.  I like the pocket for the GPS unit.  

I personally own several pairs of cargo shorts. I haven't bought any in a log time. But those things never wear out. And yes, I've worn them on the course. Hell, even my avatar shows me sporting a pair. Having said that, If I go to a "nice course" (I won't waste time defining "nice course") I wear nicer shorts, or golf pants if the course requires them. My avatar is from a local 9 hole muni. 

Back to the topic:
I'm still not sure what the OP is arguing for here. I guess I don't know what "Traditional Golf Attire" is. I like the way the guys and ladies dress today. I think people should have the chance to express their personalities with their style of dress. Rickie looks great. It doesn't work for me, but I think he looks great. The younger guys I see on tour, like Cameron Champ, also look sharp. I have no issues with they way the PGA/LPGA folks dress. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm not sure I completely understand your point. It seems like you are saying everyone should dress like Tiger... or maybe Phil. It also seems like you are saying we shouldn't dress like Rickie. 

I don't think I agree. 

I'm not saying we should do anything. I'm just saying what I prefer. I appreciate both styles to an extent and think both "collections" should be available to customers. I just think many companies have gone too far to the Rickie side of things for my liking.

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

I'm not saying we should do anything. I'm just saying what I prefer. I appreciate both styles to an extent and think both "collections" should be available to customers. I just think many companies have gone too far to the Rickie side of things for my liking.

Oh, I get it now. 

I don't agree. But, I understand and appreciate you point of view. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m really tired of Ricky’s and others ( Cameron Smith) mustaches. CS looks like he’s about to jump in a 1975 Charger. Ricky looks like a petty thief from a Starsky and Hutch episode.

• Funny 4

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

1975 Charger.

Yep. Should've been a '68 or '70 (peak years in my mind).

Edited by ncates00

I do tend to believe tee shirts don't belong on the golf course, but I have no logical explanation to with which to argue the point.  What I will never go back to is cotton. New wicking fabrics are so much more comfortable than the soaked with sweat all day long cottons of  days gone by.

I dress in the “traditional” style, but I’m 66years old. I would never wear joggers, but that is a style some young people like, so that’s fine. Whatever the course says is acceptable is good with me. I really liked the way Payne Stewart looked, but I wouldn’t have the nerve to do it.

I get the "no cargo shorts" thing. They are NOT traditional, and they're a terrible look. They're baggy, wrinkly and silly. No one wants to see people in baggy, wrinkly clothes on the golf course. Besides, you don't need to be carrying "cargo" in the first place. You're not on safari. You're playing golf. You've got a golf bag with multiple pockets and, most likely a golf cart with plenty of room for most anything you'll need during 18 holes. Save the cargo shorts for your next hike in the bush.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, pusher said:

I get the "no cargo shorts" thing. They are NOT traditional, and they're a terrible look. They're baggy, wrinkly and silly. No one wants to see people in baggy, wrinkly clothes on the golf course. Besides, you don't need to be carrying "cargo" in the first place. You're not on safari. You're playing golf. You've got a golf bag with multiple pockets and, most likely a golf cart with plenty of room for most anything you'll need during 18 holes. Save the cargo shorts for your next hike in the bush.

Don't forget the Steve Irwin shirt that can hold your rangefinder, phone, yardage book, smokes and USGA rules book.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!