IGNORED

I'm Really Trying to Just Let it Go

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 1131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are you able to "let the last shot go"?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you forget about the last (bad) shot you hit or does it linger?

• No Problem. Once it's over....it's over.
    • I can't let it go....it really pisses me off.

I have spent the past couple months trying no to dwell on bad shots. Just try to immediately let them go. I would say I'm having some success....most of the time. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I have spent the past couple months trying no to dwell on bad shots. Just try to immediately let them go. I would say I'm having some success....most of the time. 

I am closer to the first choice than the second, but I still get irritated with myself at times.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

30 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I am closer to the first choice than the second, but I still get irritated with myself at times.

This^^^

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

To clarify a little, I don't see a big problem with letting your reaction linger a little bit, as long as you're not taking it out on your companions.  But I believe its essential to get over the previous shot before you start preparing to hit the next shot.  And I want to get over my good shots just as much as getting over my bad ones.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• iacas changed the title to I'm Really Trying to Just Let it Go
  • Administrator

I don't even care about it while it's in flight.

It's just golf. It's not going to change my life.

I will get upset/bothered (these aren't quite the right words) about play as a whole, and while that can be "frustrating" I turn it into drive and determination to get it on film and fix it.

Which I did today. Super frustrating as a whole, but every problem has a solution, so as soon as I recorded a swing, I saw what it was. And the last four or five holes were better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I do have a hard time letting go of some bad shots. But then again it depends on the moment of the game and the shot itself.

If I miss a very difficult shot going for the attempt to gain a stroke... I get over it pretty fast (e.g. hitting a 5 iron from the rough attempting to land on a receptive green at 175m but landing on a greenside bunker instead - that's OK for me)

When I miss a pretty simple and easy shot such as a 1m putt for BOGEY, then I do get upset and I tend to get aggravated... 🎇 luckily it doesn't happen often!

All in all I think it depends on the mood, and building a positive vibe with assertiveness and mindful control over your emotions and thoughts - that's an immensely important part of golf. 

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

And I want to get over my good shots just as much as getting over my bad ones.  

I like this also!

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I was kind of in between the two options. As in, I’m not one to immediately forget bad shots/holes, but I’m also not one to let it linger for the rest of the round. For example, if I miss a short, easy putt on the 5th hole, I’ll typically have it pushed out of my mind by the time I hit my approach on the 6th. 

Or, if I hit an awful drive, I’ll have that memory gone before I finish that hole. In other words, it takes me about half a hole to flush out the botched shots from my brain.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Well...when your errant shot takes out a BMW rear window or damn near kills someone ....pretty hard to whistle it away and admire the f****** birds, one of whom I almost killed as well, and enjoy the day.

• Funny 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I can laugh off a bad shot. the ones that get me can be either good or bad but...well, live example. Last Saturday I was playing a course that is having so many drainage problems that I have joked to the superintendent "there was so much water this side of the red stake I thought maybe the far side was in bounds and the side closer to the fairway was the hazard".

Well, I hit a really nice drive, actually watched it land in the fairway which is not all that common.

And never found it.

It plugged somewhere, I dropped and played from there (not able to record since I was playing alone). That shot stuck with me because I hate losing a ball in the fairway. I kept looking back towards that area the rest of the hole as if the ball would magically appear. The chunk chip 90 degrees right? that was worth a laugh. Following it up by nearly sinking the following chip and leaving a 6" tap in was also worth a laugh. But losing a ball in the fairway? that stuck with me

1 hour ago, darthweasel said:

Well, I hit a really nice drive, actually watched it land in the fairway which is not all that common.

And never found it.

I can relate to this situation... Not long ago playing with a friend, on the second hole I made a perfect 90m uphill approach shot hitting the far end of the green, I supposed.

As it turned out to be I never found that ball neither on the green nor on the adjacent uphill rough, and had to repeat the shot from where I had hit the approach once more, this time with the penalty.

That disappearing ball situation stuck in my head for quite some time, I even considered that someone took it...(!) Maybe a bird 🐤 :hmm:

I don’t care much about individual bad shots, but I get frustrated when they form a pattern. If I top the ball once during a decent round, I’ll dismiss it as a fluke, but if I top the ball three holes in a row, that annoys me.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I get so much joy out of the good ones that the bad ones hardly register. As my swing improves you'd think that would be a good thing except now I hit it into hazards I never used to be able to reach.

On 3/10/2021 at 11:49 PM, billchao said:

I don’t care much about individual bad shots, but I get frustrated when they form a pattern. If I top the ball once during a decent round, I’ll dismiss it as a fluke, but if I top the ball three holes in a row, that annoys me.

That tends to be my problem as well: my bad shots are typically topped balls, and I seem to get into a series of 2-3 shots when that happens. Slowing down and swinging more consciously is usually the remedy. Having said that: that one TV-worthy shot you hit during every round sticks with me longer than the bad ones!

Mine is actually both. Sometimes I can forget it and other times it sticks in the mind.  I chose option 1 because I can generally forget it. I guess tournaments is when it tends to stick because each stroke matters

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I struggled on which to choose.  I voted “No problem” because  I do not get pissed  and do not carry the anger, however the bad shot stays with me in the sense that I try to figure out what I did wrong and start to over over think my swing.  It is not that I am mad, just trying to go better.  It usually does not help to over think it so I do need to learn to let that go.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

At my particular level of golf, letting go of one bad shot is fairly easy. It's really the succession of bad shots combined with one or two spectacularly bad shots that's a challenge. On my worst days it starts a snowballing effect that has me wondering if I'll ever hit another solid shot.

Maybe its gotten a bit better in the last couple of years as my expectation levels have slowly started to more closely match my ability, but I still have my moments.

Note: This thread is 1131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!