IGNORED

Pace of Play and Checking Yardage

Note: This thread is 1121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just played my first round where I had a range finder and precise distances for each club for chips and pitches.   Needless to say my short game was great, better than its ever been.  

For those of you who like to get yardages before you hit your shot how do you shoot your target and still keep up the pace.  Suggestions welcome, just play the game and don't use the range finder is not welcome.  I like golf for its precision.

• Upvote 1

WITB

Cobra  Wishon 911 D FMAX 10.5 ,EQ-NX 4W, 7W, 4H/6H, 7-LW

Biomech Acculock Ace Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Themightyoz said:

Just played my first round where I had a range finder and precise distances for each club for chips and pitches.   Needless to say my short game was great, better than its ever been.  

For those of you who like to get yardages before you hit your shot how do you shoot your target and still keep up the pace.  Suggestions welcome, just play the game and don't use the range finder is not welcome.  I like golf for its precision.

First, If I am out over 150 I just use the course stakes/markers and estimate how far I am from them.  At that distance I really do not need to be accurate to the yard.  A better golfer may benefit from that level of accuracy but I'm not that golfer.

Second, if I am waiting for another player I will move up along the side of the fairway to get even with my ball (If I can stay out of the other's way) and laser my target from the side.  Again, this is not 100% accurate but for my game it is usually close enough.

• Like 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

3 minutes ago, StuM said:

Second, if I am waiting for another player I will move up along the side of the fairway to get even with my ball (If I can stay out of the other's way) and laser my target from the side.  Again, this is not 100% accurate but for my game it is usually close enough.

As I usually have the longest drive in my group I am moving down the side of the hole long before everybody else catches up that is a great idea.

WITB

Getting the distance shouldn't be taking so long as to slow down pace of play. I set my bag next to the ball, grab the rangefinder from its pouch, shoot the distance, then put it back in the pouch while using my free hand to grab my glove from my back pocket at the same time.

Total extra time to get a distance, compared to when I don't use the rangefinder, is maybe 5 seconds or 10 if I'm shooting the pin multiple times to be sure or if I'm ranging multiple targets (such as front of green, carry distance for something, etc.). If you play ready golf so that you're walking up to your ball (or at least perpendicular to it on the edge of the hole) while others are hitting, then it's a non-issue because you've got your distance done before it's even your turn to hit. 

Does your process take noticeably longer than the 5 seconds I describe above, or is it just a matter of feeling rushed because it's something extra to do when you only reach the ball after it's already "your turn"?

Edited by Pretzel

It takes less than 10 seconds to get a yardage with a range finder.  That’s about three minutes worth of “range finding” in an average round.

That’s not contributing to anyone’s slow pace of play...

• Like 5

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, Themightyoz said:

For those of you who like to get yardages before you hit your shot how do you shoot your target and still keep up the pace.

I get my yardage before it my turn to play, the same way I read greens.

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

For approach shots, if I need an exact yardage, I just pull out my range finder at or near enough to my ball, get the distance, then put it away. I keep it in an accessible location in my bag, so I don't have to fiddle around excessively getting it out and back in.

I usually don't laser anything inside 50 yards because my GPS watch gives me front, back, middle yardages, which is usually good enough, unless there is something like a bunker I need to carry.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

2 hours ago, Themightyoz said:

As @David in FL said, the time it takes to shoot the yardage is darn near negligible.  If you're in cart, it's hopefully sitting in a cup holder or something right in front of you and you get to you ball, shoot, and decide a club.  Not even an extra 10 seconds.  If you're walking, maybe 15 seconds because you have to replace it in the bag each time.

And the time really only counts if you are the shortest driver and the green is clear.  Because if either of those isn't true, then you get your yardage before you even have the opportunity to hit and it adds ZERO seconds to the total time.

If you don't have a laser or GPS, you either wing it or you have to pace from sprinkler head and do some math.  That's always going to take a bit longer.  (Still usually easy to do before it's your turn though)

39 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

If you don't have a laser or GPS, you either wing it or you have to pace from sprinkler head and do some math. 

...or you ask your foursome members with rangefinders to scope your distance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

...or you ask your foursome members with rangefinders to scope your distance.

That's the way it works with my usual foursome!  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Our group usually keeps up all the time with groups in front, in fact, yesterday we only were a 3some, but we kept up with a 2some in front of us, and usually had to wait a small bit for them to move, and they were playing at a good clip. I figure if our group falls behind the pace, I give up my right to take a additional time to pore over a rangefinder, if a rangefinder takes more time. I also wear a gps watch that is instant yardage, and that is what I would use if lagging behind. To answer your question would be to say a simple "yes", because we always keep pace. If I pull up to my ball I can shoot the flag in 10 secs and hit the ball in 15 or so, total 25 secs. If I want, it can be done faster.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Thanks folks.  I need to shorten my routine as well, as well no doubt about it.  Cheers.

WITB

6 hours ago, Themightyoz said:

1. Find ball
2. Shoot yardage
3. Determine shot
4. Pull Club 
5. Hit shot

For me, shooting yardage + determine shot + pull club takes 10-15 seconds. Then I got into my routine. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don’t have steady enough hands to use a laser rangefinder but I have a GPS that tells me the distance with a push of a button. I ride a cart so as I approach my ball, I usually have already scouted out the strategy for my next shot, before I get a reading. I also pay attention to the yardage markings on the fairway to get a rough estimate. Once I get to my ball, I do a reading, pick a club and hit it according to plan. 
You can save time by thinking of your strategy as you are driving to the ball, have rangefinder in hand, don’t spend time putting it away, and think of your next move before you get there.

• Like 1

For the last few years I've had a Bushnell Hybrid Rangefinder. It will give me both GPS distance front/middle/back AND it can laser the flag. It's a great range finder and I'm pretty sure it speeds up play rather than the other way around. My ONLY issue with it is that the Rangefinder uses traditional batteries you replace now and then, The GPS has to be plugged in and charged. The rechargeable battery life on the GPS is probably a round or two. The traditional battery for the rangefinder pretty much lasts all season. To me, that seems kind of weird. 

Anyway, most people I see with rangefinders have gotten pretty good at using them to the point where I feel pretty sure they are actually playing faster thanks to using them. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

8 hours ago, saevel25 said:

1. Find ball
2. Shoot yardage
3. Determine shot
4. Pull Club 
5. Hit shot

For me, shooting yardage + determine shot + pull club takes 10-15 seconds. 

Yep - takes no time 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

14 hours ago, David in FL said:

It takes less than 10 seconds to get a yardage with a range finder.  That’s about three minutes worth of “range finding” in an average round.

That’s not contributing to anyone’s slow pace of play...

I would add that you don’t need it on all holes either. If my ball is near one of the markers, I can make a good judgment without the laser.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Truth be told, a range finder is only really useful if you know your club yardages. I personally use the fairway markers for a guide and eye ball it for the rest.  On my home course it isn't so much of an issue since I know my clubs and distances.  On new courses it matters but I tend to go caddie advice or marker yardages. I do have apps on my phone/watch which will give me yardages, so should start using that.  I rarely find the need to use a range finder since I am not accurate enough to say this shot is 60 or 80 or 100 yards.  I find it much easier to go by feel and view

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Note: This thread is 1121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!