IGNORED

Is Bryson DeChambeau Good for Cobra?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 1139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is Bryson DeChambeau A Good Ambassador For Cobra?   

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is Bryson DeChambeau The Right Golfer To Be The Face Of Cobra?

• No - He brings too much bad PR
    • Yes - People will like his "scientific approach" and associate Cobra with Technology. Plus he wins more tourneys than any other male Cobra Staffer.
    • Yes - Any press is good press
    • Not sure - Lets let this all play out.

Personally, I find Bryson DeChambeau fascinating. Like him or hate him, he's almost always interesting. I guess I mostly like him. I will agree that he has acted like a baby from time to time. I will also agree he has said stuff that's down right ridiculous. His slow play from time to time makes me crazy. But, over all I still contend he's good for the game. 

The question is: Is he the right face of Cobra? My understanding is if Bryson says "Jump", Cobra says "How high?" He appears to be the face of Cobra. Sometimes Rickie or Lexi shows up in Cobra ads, but probably less than half as often as Bryson. BTW - I didn't even realize that Jason Dufner and Greg Norman (Champions Tour) were Cobra Staffers. 

So, what do you all think? The question is not do you like him or do you not like him? The question is whether or not him being the face of Cobra is good or bad for Cobra? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He is good for certain aspects. The one length clubs they are pushing. Not so much for driver just because who the hell is using a 5 degree driver. I throw out his comment about his driver sucking as the driver he was speaking of is not on the market for sale.  He may be good for Puma brand for clothes. I am going to with he is good for Cobra. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• iacas changed the title to Is Bryson DeChambeau Good for Cobra?
16 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Personally, I find Bryson DeChambeau fascinating. Like him or hate him, he's almost always interesting. I guess I mostly like him. I will agree that he has acted like a baby from time to time. I will also agree he has said stuff that's down right ridiculous. His slow play from time to time makes me crazy. But, over all I still contend he's good for the game. 

The question is: Is he the right face of Cobra? My understanding is if Bryson says "Jump", Cobra says "How high?" He appears to be the face of Cobra. Sometimes Rickie or Lexi shows up in Cobra ads, but probably less than half as often as Bryson. BTW - I didn't even realize that Jason Dufner and Greg Norman (Champions Tour) were Cobra Staffers. 

So, what do you all think? The question is not do you like him or do you not like him? The question is whether or not him being the face of Cobra is good or bad for Cobra? 

Since Cobra, to my knowledge, is the only big golf company making single length clubs, I think Bryson helps in that regard. But there’s a lot of negativity around Bryson right now, so not sure how many people are buying Cobra clubs because of him. I bought my Cobra driver because the performance/price was amazing.

I still think of Rickie when I think of Cobra, with those hideous orange drivers matching his Sunday OSU outfit. Going way back, Greg Norman was the main star I remember playing Cobra. Geoff Ogilvy played Cobra too for awhile.

I actually have a good friend who plays a full Cobra bag because of Greg Norman. Go figure 🤷‍♂️

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

5 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Since Cobra, to my knowledge, is the only big golf company making single length clubs, I think Bryson helps in that regard. But there’s a lot of negativity around Bryson right now, so not sure how many people are buying Cobra clubs because of him. I bought my Cobra driver because the performance/price was amazing.

I still think of Rickie when I think of Cobra, with those hideous orange drivers matching his Sunday OSU outfit. Going way back, Greg Norman was the main star I remember playing Cobra. Geoff Ogilvy played Cobra too for awhile.

I actually have a good friend who plays a full Cobra bag because of Greg Norman. Go figure 🤷‍♂️

@Darkfrog I too, have a Cobra Driver. I can't disagree with you; Its a tremendous value. 

I'm also with you about thinking Rickie when I think Cobra. I've been a Rickie fan for quite a while. The one thing I disagree with is I actually liked his orange get up. I remember a few years back I even tried on some of his clothing line. My wife and I agreed... I'm too old for it. I looked like an old guy trying too hard to look like a young guy. 🤪

I will say this when it comes to Bryson. I see all kinds of adds for those 3D printed putters with the SIK face and Bryson's mug is all over those. That doesn't seem to be a Rickie or Lexie, or Greg Norman thing at all. I have no idea if those things are doing well or not. I can only tell you that the guy at the PGA SuperStore near me came up and told me they can't keep them in stock when he saw me fiddling with one. .... Of course, that couldn't possibly be because he was hoping to try and trigger a buying decision... could it? 

Well I don’t think it all really matters. I get the marketing viewpoint but let’s face it, Bryson doesn’t hit the ball a mile because of his driver. He could hit any number of brands and kill it. I know Cobra says they’ve jumped through hoops to build a driver for him, but they probably pale in effort compared to what he’s done to swing like he does.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The one thing I disagree with is I actually liked his orange get up. I remember a few years back I even tried on some of his clothing line. My wife and I agreed... I'm too old for it. I looked like an old guy trying too hard to look like a young guy.

I knew I'd seen you somewhere before ...

577a7c7cee9c4_notrickie.jpeg.107292a43e283f170288b6791da623bf.jpeg

• Funny 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Well I don’t think it all really matters. I get the marketing viewpoint but let’s face it, Bryson doesn’t hit the ball a mile because of his driver. He could hit any number of brands and kill it. I know Cobra says they’ve jumped through hoops to build a driver for him, but they probably pale in effort compared to what he’s done to swing like he does.

They won’t let him use the HAMMER because of objections from NASA.

• Funny 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The bean counters in the company will discard him quickly when he isn't bring in revenue for them.   They must believe he is worth the $$ paid.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I think it remains to be seen.   He has his pluses and minuses.  So far, I think he brings brand awareness, but also is polarizing so he turns off a number of people.   

—Adam

12 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

but also is polarizing so he turns off a number of people.   

I wonder about that. 
Would you actually avoid buying a golf club just because you didn't like the person representing it? 

Or maybe the question should be "How much would you have to dislike a player in order to avoid the product he/she is representing?" 

He should’ve lost respect from his asinine vaccine comment. The lousy driver comment and that should’ve been his exit.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 9/3/2021 at 8:22 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

I don't have any problem with Bryson.  He is different, yes, but he admits he is.  I think he means well and from what I have seen he does what he can for the fans when the opportunity presents itself like signing for kids and giving them a club, ball, etc.  Greg Norman is old school Cobra.  Lexi is a good female ambassador and Rickie is a good fit also.  I think Cobra is a good fit for Bryson and he is allowed to have as much input as he wants into new designs which he wants.  

9 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I wonder about that. 
Would you actually avoid buying a golf club just because you didn't like the person representing it? 

Or maybe the question should be "How much would you have to dislike a player in order to avoid the product he/she is representing?" 

For me personally it’s a sliding scale.   He is endorsed by Puma?  I bought a puma golf shirt on vacation, didn’t think anything of it.   His behavior doesn’t conflict with what I would consider my core values, so I doubt my potential disapproval of him affects a brand that has multiple ambassadors.

where I do draw the line is those core values I have.  If endorsers conflict with that, then I do have a problem with brands that don’t distance themselves from that behavior.   You don’t even have to drop someone, you can just say you disagree.

So no, I would not avoid but a Cobra club because of Bryson for anything to this point.   I think it comes down to the brand reaction for me to consider that for something more serious.  

—Adam

Who hasn't said "my driver sucks." You've got a Cobra SZ or RadSpeed in your bag that you've been playing well with and Bryson says his "driver sucks" and now you're going to buy a Callaway. Get your head examined. His 5 degree driver is something way different than I play. 

Also I tried and bought the One Length irons and have been using them for the past 3 years. If it weren't for Bryson - Cobra team that would never have happened. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Personally I did not have an opinion one way or the other about Cobra. BC as an ambassador does not offer any incentive to even consider their products, and maybe is even a disincentive in making my decision. If I already loved Cobra products I probably would not switch, but if was on the edge I may decide to change.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:48 AM, Vinsk said:

He should’ve lost respect from his asinine vaccine comment. The lousy driver comment and that should’ve been his exit.

I agree with you about the vaccine comment...ugh.  It was immature and not a wise move in terms of public opinion. A lot of air came out of my Bryson balloon when he said that. He has to do a better job thinking before he speaks. (After all, he sometimes thinks for several minutes before he putts.... see what I did there?). He's young and has said some stupid stuff. He's had tantrums both on and off the course. He needs to tighten up his professionalism game. I don't think he's a bad person. Just sometimes his brain is on rewind and his mouth is on fast-forward.

The driver comment didn't phase me in the least. This coming from a person who plays a Cobra driver. Should he have said it? Of course not. I think we've all walked off the course and said "Ah, my putter sucked today." Or "My driver wasn't working today" Or "My irons were sh!t today." It's just phrasing. I give him a pass on that. I do understand, however, if some people don't or won't give him a pass on that one. I can also understand where Cobra would be pissed at him. He is paid a lot of money to represent a company. That company by all accounts jumps through hoops for him. He SHOULD have phrased it differently. There's nothing wrong with saying "I just couldn't get the driver to do what I wanted today." BOOM - Easy. Done. End of story. 

Note: This thread is 1139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!