IGNORED

Play a Favorite or a New Course?

New Course or Old Fave  

34 members have voted

1. 1. When presented with a choice, are you more likely to play a new course or play a course you know you enjoy?

• I like to check out new courses
    • I prefer to play the course I know I'll enjoy

• Administrator

Answer the poll as "purely" as you can.

Obviously, around your hometown, and especially if you have a membership, you tend to play the course you've come to enjoy. (But also, most players don't have a ton of courses nearby that are new to them.)

And when you're traveling to a new area, all of the courses are going to be new to you.

So, create a scenario in your mind where the choices are pretty equal: maybe you've traveled two hours away to play a course a few times because your buddy was a member at a public course there, but now another buddy invites you to the same area: are you going back to the course or trying a new one?

Or if that scenario doesn't suit you, try to picture your own where the choices are roughly equal from a convenience and cost standpoint.

(I'll answer the poll after I think about it a little bit more. It's a tough one.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Play a Favorite or a New Course?

I like checking out new courses, but will tend to go back to ones I like. I like the familiarity of knowing where to aim and what is over the hill on blind shots. That being said, some courses I’ve played for the first time impressed me. The Links a Unionville in NY, Fox Hopyard in CT and recently Lake View near Erie. It helps when you play with someone whose played the course before.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It’s kind of a tough one. I’m leaning slightly towards playing a course I know I like. It’s not by a lot, though. Playing a course I’ve already played means I won’t have the chance to discover a new course I might like, but it also means I won’t drive two hours to play a course I don’t like.

It’s going to fall on a spectrum. If the travel time was shorter I’d be more inclined to try a new course. Or if I really liked a particular course I’d be more inclined to want to play there simply because the opportunity arose and it’s outside of my normal travel zone for regular play.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Living in Florida I have 11 courses within 30 mins, and within an hour who knows. I play the same course every day because its on the water, staff is great and its cheap, 13 bucks to walk till you drop after 4pm. However, I have been forced into playing new courses since I joined the Golfweek Senior Amateur Tour.  That opens me up to the Orlando area which is nice, I get to play on some top level courses that I have been to lazy and complacent to go visit. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

I voted play a course I already know and like. I don’t play as often as I’d like and I want to make sure when I do it’s somewhere good. 

The funny thing is I’m kind of in this situation on Wednesday and it ended up going the other way. I have to go out of town for work for a short meeting and a going to play golf afterward. I wanted to play Industry Hills since it’s not too far from there and I know I like the course. However a buddy is going to meet me down there and convinced me to play a new course (Los Serranos) instead. It better be good. 

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

New course - of course I love playing courses I know I like, by definition, I already like them, but I’m a sucker for playing a new course.  It can be frustrating when you think you’ve hit a great shot only to find out that there was a little creek there or something I’d that nature, but overall, I love seeing new courses. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator

Man, I keep mulling this one over.

• On a golf trip to, say, Pinehurst I'll often play a course I know I'm going to enjoy. One I've played before. But… if I'm playing two or three rounds, there's a good chance one of those rounds will be at a new course (though I'm starting to run out of those in that area).
  • On a golf trip to Columbus with @georgep, we often went to new courses, even when he was a member at one or another.
  • I keep a spreadsheet of the courses I have played (though I didn't start it until a few years ago and I'm undoubtedly missing 50+). I like to add courses to that list.

Those responses would have me leaning toward "new" but… I also know there are plenty of times when I want to know what I'm signing up for, or paying for, and I'll play an old favorite.

Still, I'll vote "new" because I'm fairly likely to do that. I can always change my vote later. I think I'm adventurous enough, and will almost look for an opportunity to see a new course, particularly if someone else recommends it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I lean heavily towards the try a new course, but there are certain instances where I will prefer old favorites.

I'm going to Pinehurst in a few weeks and only one out of four rounds is going to be on a new course.

Casual rounds with friends (which is most of my rounds) I like new experiences and courses. 

But if it's a tournament or competition, playing a match for money, etc then I'll prefer something I've played before just for the familiarity aspect, knowing where any little tricky holes/spots are, etc.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Hands down a new course.  I love experimenting with things in general and food in particular.  By nature I want to try something new if I can.  Just broadens the horizons.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I am voting playing a favorite. I like to play golf, to grind out a score, and a new course is more about figuring out your lines and the general lay of the land. I recently joined the course I live on at PGA Village (Legacy) in St Lucie, and I love the challenge as it is a difficult course and I learn something new every time I play it. Its hosted some US Open and Senior Open qualifiers as well as other events so its a great test. 

I just got back from my annual golf trip with high school buddies from Orange County National and I always enjoy the 6 rounds we play in 3 days. The first day we played Crooked Cat twice because the were filming School of Golf on Panther Lake. Crooked Cat hosted the LIV (which you would never know it unlike the PGA Qualifying and Korn Ferry signs they have in the clubhouse). During the LIV event the course looked in rough shape and when we got there it was in questionable condition. The following day we arranged Panther Lake twice. Panther is definitely my favorite layout and was in great shape. The third day was Crooked (I was not looking forward to it) and Panther. We decided that next year to see if we can do Panther and another course or just go somewhere all together different.  Knowing my guys, it will be a course we can play a few times on the same trip. We like to be competitive and knowing a course seems to enhance the experience. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

When I get back to playing I'll stick to a couple courses I know, for the comfort factor.  But, after that, I'll be looking for new courses to play nearby.  I like new challenges :-)

Like some others, this is a bit of a spectrum for me.  I love to play new courses, I like discovering a "new favorite".  But I like knowing in advance that I'll enjoy a round.  If I'm playing multiple rounds on a trip, I like a mix of new and old, if I'm somewhere for just a day, I'll tend to return to a course I know I enjoy.  Or it might depend on the reputation of the "new" course, I might forego an old favorite to try something with a reputation for an interesting design, or great conditions, or whatever. I voted for "new course", but that's not a universal choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

When you have lived your golfing years with in a 30-mile radius of the same area, you pretty much played every course a few times. I do enjoy playing a new course more. Going to a new area for a golf trip or what not, is much more enjoyable than playing a course I know. 

So, I had to pick new course, but it is really like 60/40 new to something I've played before. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

When I first read the polling question, I thought it would be cut and dry. As I sat and thought about it, I came up with different scenarios that made the decision more difficult than I had anticipated. I like trying new courses, as others have stated, but I also have the side of me that likes knowing the course and trying to better my score there. Not to mention wanting to get redemption at some course where the round did not go that well. And it somewhat depends on how many rounds I am playing. If multiple, then most definitely will try a new course. Most of my playing buddies are up for new courses as well.  But as @klineka stated, if it is a money match or something of that sort, we will pick a course that is familiar. 

Ultimately, I voted for checking out a new course. I'd like to think if I had the chance to see a new course, I would take the opportunity. Otherwise, I may be missing out on what could be a new favorite.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• 5 months later...

This was a tough one. Like many have said, for me it is a spectrum. I live in VA but have family in Ohio and Philly, so I visit both places regularly. If I'm only going to be in the area for a few days, I would lean towards playing a course I know and like. If I'm going to be in the area for more than a few days, I would try a new course, and if I don't like it, I can follow it up with a course that is a favorite of mine.

I guess it's hard not to get excited about the prospect of playing a new course of repute. Honestly it's depressing to know that I will die not having played even one percent of great storied golf out there. Most won't.

A hybrid thought is that there are too many great courses I've played only once. I think a golf course is truly enjoyed in its full glory the second or even third time around. 

For eg., its been a couple of years and I am absolutely dying to spend a week in Pinehurst. I have played these but would love to play each of SP, MP, PN at least twice. Hopefully in the cards next year.

Vishal S.

I was on the fence, I really like playing new courses and have enjoyed  TST outings for that reason. But outside TST  my annual golf trip with my wife has been to the same place, Garland.  And locally my friends & I tend to rinse & repeat 4 local courses.  so in reality I tend to play courses I know I like.

around my home I’ve played most of the local courses over the years snd those I have not played I know the reputation already so much less likely to play a new local course.

My preference would be to combine new & familiar on a golf trip but that was not an option on the pole.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

All thing being equal, I would opt for the new course. My problem is I have played all the courses within 25 miles or so. In real life my choice often is drive an hour+ to a new course or 15 minutes to a familiar one. I often opt for convenience over new.

Brian Kuehn