IGNORED

Are You a Fair Weather or All Weather Golfer?

StuM

Are you a "Fair Weather" or "All Weather" golfer?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What type of "Weather Golfer" are you.

• I am 100% a Fair Weather Golfer - It can't be too cold or too hot and forget any rain or wet fairways. It must be perfect weather or I am out.
    • I am a Decent Weather Golfer - I'll golf if not raining as long as it is over 60 degrees and under 85 degrees.
    • I am a Dry & Warm Weather Golfer - as long as over 60 degrees and not raining I'll be there, even if over 85-90 degrees.
    • I am a Warm Weather Golfer - As long as over 60 degrees I'll be there, even if it is wet/rainy.
    • I am a Dry Weather Golfer - I'll golf in any temps as long as it is not raining or snowing.
    • I am an All Weather Golfer - If the course is open I'll be there.

Today it rained most of the morning and I am getting all sorts of "Comments" from my league players.  Some are "I'll be there no matter what" some are "I'll be there if they allow carts" others are "even if they allow carts it is going to be wet and we should cancel.

This prompted me to think of this poll.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted "Dry & Warm".  I have golfed in colder temps, once @ 30 degrees & snowing, but that was because I was on a golf trip and that is how the weather worked out in northern Michigan in October.  I clearly prefer not to be cold.  I will tolerate rain if caught on the course but would prefer to avoid it.  I do not mind a light drizzle or "Chance of a scattered shower" but if the forecast is for a steady on-going soaking rain I will avoid it unless there is some unique situation.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I guess Dry Weather is closest to what I am. I’ve played in the rain before, but generally because I was traveling or something and golf was already planned. I’ll play in some light rain or occasional showers locally, but if it’s going to be steady all day I’ll pass.

I played all winter as long as the course was open so the temperature doesn’t bother me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Dry Weather Golfer for casual rounds. A light rain is ok. 

All Weather Golfer on tournaments. Bring it on! I love to play soccer on the mud or the beach under rain so golf with an umbrella is a piece of cake. Moreover this days were you can attach the umbrella to the cart.
A month ago we had a rainy cold days for a 36 holes tournament. On the 1st day on hole 3 a guy on my group just quitted. The next day we were 4 again. One quitted at 9th, another at 11th and the last one lifted his ball at 12th and proceeded to walk with me to keep my scorecard until I finished the round. Respect to that guy.  

25 years ago, on my teens, I even went out to play alone on heavy rain, without rain clothes or an umbrella and plenty of lightnings.. didn't know how crazy I was at that age. 

I prefer playing in dry 60f weather, moderate cloud cover, with a little breeze.

However, if the course is open my league plays.
Therefore I have played in everything from snow to ridiculous heat, from Irish Sunshine to 20 mph wind!

Not ideal, but it is what it is!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

• Administrator

I can't really vote. I'll play in 50° if it's even a little sunny and not pouring. I'll play in 90°.

I generally won't play when it's pouring, ridiculously windy, or > 100° or below about 40°.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm an all weather golfer. Luckily in my part of the Bay Area, it never get's much hotter than mid-70s, and the only humidity fog, so I don't have to deal with hot and humid weather.

Most of the year I only have time to play once a week, and it's my weekly psychological break from the daily experience of work/parenthood so I hate to miss it. The only thing that really gives me pause is high winds, because my home course has tons of trees, and quite a few are diseased/dying.

Often times when I am out playing and the weather is really shitty I will momentarily question my decision to play, but I rarely regret it.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

My boss, out of the blue yesterday, asked me if it ever gets too hot for me to play. I've played in 112* in Phoenix before. Fairly frequently play in mid-90s in NY. Those days are worse than the 112 in Phoenix. I said no. But I'll play in anything. I've played in sleet, snow, hail (one time it hailed on us while blowing a steady 45mph gusting to 55mph - as verified by an anemometer in the clubhouse), torrential rain, high winds, cold, hot, you name it. 

Lightning will get me off the golf course though. I'm not an idiot (well, not that much of one anyway).

6 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

Good point on wind

2 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

Lightning will get me off the golf course though. I'm not an idiot (well, not that much of one anyway).

Makes me think of Caddy Shack

Stuart M.

36 minutes ago, StuM said:
7 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

Good point on wind

OPPs, meant to quote @colin007

Stuart M.

Hey there, new member here (also a newbie player)!

I voted All Weather Golfer since I live in Colombia, a tropical country with relatively stable weather throughout the year, but with plenty of “micro weathers” depending on the altitude you're in. So I've played in cooler mountain cities like Bogotá (55°F ish - 8,660 ft asl) but also in warmer mountain regions like the coffee triangle and of course on the hot and humid Caribbean coast as well, and I've enjoyed all rounds.

When I lived in Oregon my friend had a rule. It could only be 2 of the following 3 items for us to play. If all 3 we’d skip. 

1. Windy (20+)

2. Rainy (needs to be steady, rain in Oregon is pretty common)

3. Cold (less than a high of 50)

This was a pretty solid rule.

Michael

I voted "warm weather golfer", but I'd expand my acceptable conditions a bit.  If its over about 40 to start, and not raining, I'm OK.  (My wife uses the 50/50 rule, it should be over 50 degrees for over 50% of the round)  If its 60+ and a light rain, I'll play.  I have the gear to play in all conditions, waterproof jackets, pants, hat, rain gloves, winter golf gloves, thermal underwear, all of it, but I've become a bit more selective in my old age.  Also being retired, I CAN be more selective, I have more days available to play.  And of course for competitions or golf trips, I'll play in almost any weather.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'll play in anything besides lightning. The only weather I haven't really played in is a cold rain, because it's unusual to have cold rain here. It just snows instead. Here are some of the highlights (lowlights?) of what I've played in:

• 40 degrees, probably 30 mph winds gusting to 50-60 mph. I played fast because no one else was on the course!
  • 32 degrees, on and off snow flurries.
  • 100+ degrees (fortunately, no humidity).

My motto currently is if courses are open, I'm playing. I'm sure this will change as my kids get older, and I have more time.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Dry-weather golfer is probably the most appropriate for me.  I will tolerate a little bit of light rain, but as soon as soaking occurs I'm out. 

Temperature-wise, I'll play in anything from 40 to 95. Significant wind might bump that lower end up 5 or so degrees. 

I’ll break this down by weather.

Raining, I use to be worse because my swing was very steep and you need to be very accurate. Now that my swing is shallower I can pick it more.

Windy, I struggle a bit because I hit the ball higher. I struggle to flight shots. Windy days benefit better ball strikers because it amplifies curve.

I rather play in the hot versus cold. I hate golfing with a ton of layers on. I can handle heat pretty well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: