IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

19 minutes ago, turtleback said:

I don't know if this has been brought up here before, but I just watched a YouTube video about Tiger's SixPeat - his six year run of 3 USGA Junior Amateurs followed by his 3 US Amateurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFNkPVxnLk

One of the most interesting things was that they gathered together the 6 guys he beat in those match-play finals to talk about their experience playing him in those finals.  There is some repetition in the 40 minute video, but the vintage footage from those finals, and getting insights into what his opponents, all of whom had leads during their match, was very interesting.

If you are a Tiger fan and have not seen it, you will enjoy watching it.

I'll add, that this run is, IMO, the greatest achievement in amateur golf, Bobby Jones' 5 US Amateur wins notwithstanding.  I think an argument can even be made that this was his second most impressive achievement, after the Slam.  It is under-rated and under-appreciated, but I think that's because what followed at the pro level has overshadowed it.

Thanks for this @turtleback. I think there are unfortunate reasons why some of Tiger’s accomplishments have been under-ranked. I won’t go into that....Even the Snead/Tiger wins is ridiculous. Giving Snead 82 along with Tiger is no different than giving Jack his amateur wins to his major count but not Tiger’s. But this is a great post.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hope this isn't private. Stupid gram.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 11/3/2019 at 10:07 AM, turtleback said:

I don't know if this has been brought up here before, but I just watched a YouTube video about Tiger's SixPeat - his six year run of 3 USGA Junior Amateurs followed by his 3 US Amateurs.

One of the most interesting things was that they gathered together the 6 guys he beat in those match-play finals to talk about their experience playing him in those finals.  There is some repetition in the 40 minute video, but the vintage footage from those finals, and getting insights into what his opponents, all of whom had leads during their match, was very interesting.

If you are a Tiger fan and have not seen it, you will enjoy watching it.

I'll add, that this run is, IMO, the greatest achievement in amateur golf, Bobby Jones' 5 US Amateur wins notwithstanding.  I think an argument can even be made that this was his second most impressive achievement, after the Slam.  It is under-rated and under-appreciated, but I think that's because what followed at the pro level has overshadowed it.

Thanks for linking to that, I'd never seen it before. 

It also gave me the thought: Tiger has 3 U.S. Juniors, 3 U.S. Ams, and 3 U.S. Opens. What are the chances he plays enough post-50 to win 3 U.S. Senior Opens to complete the 4x3?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

36 minutes ago, jamo said:

Thanks for linking to that, I'd never seen it before. 

It also gave me the thought: Tiger has 3 U.S. Juniors, 3 U.S. Ams, and 3 U.S. Opens. What are the chances he plays enough post-50 to win 3 U.S. Senior Opens to complete the 4x3?

I don't think Tiger will play a single round on the senior tour.  He seems to be all in on this latest comeback; and, it may be all he has left in the tank.  He's completing (as if it needed anything else) his legacy on the Tour that matters.  I don't think senior tour accomplishments matter to him.  Further, he's got plenty of lucrative investment opportunities off the course.  Instead, I think Tiger will welcome retirement and rest his body and enjoy his time with his kids upon completion of the greatest lifetime of golf that has ever been played.

14 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I don't think Tiger will play a single round on the senior tour.  He seems to be all in on this latest comeback; and, it may be all he has left in the tank.  He's completing (as if it needed anything else) his legacy on the Tour that matters.  I don't think senior tour accomplishments matter to him.  Further, he's got plenty of lucrative investment opportunities off the course.  Instead, I think Tiger will welcome retirement and rest his body and enjoy his time with his kids upon completion of the greatest lifetime of golf that has ever been played.

After getting back the thing he loves the most, I don't see him easing up.  If he can physically play, I think he will play a limited senior schedule focusing on the Senior majors and particularly the senior US Open.

• Like 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

27 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I don't think Tiger will play a single round on the senior tour. 

He won't play often...I think just majors or special events where people throw money to see the legends play. 

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

If his body will allow it, I hope he will play some senior tour majors. A few U.S. Senior Opens would be a nice addition to the tally. I can't speak to whether he will play or not, but I hope he does. 

I was lucky enough to have my Dad take me to see Jack play on the senior tour. I got his autograph when I was about 10 or 11.  If he hadn't played the senior tour I would've never seen him play. The same will be true of the next generation of kids with Tiger. 

• Like 1

- Mark

What a weenie Greg Norman is.  He is actually complaining that Tiger didn't answer his congratulatory note after the Masters.  He has an overdeveloped sense of his own importance in the golf world.  Just like he got all butt hurt when he offered to give Tiger advice and Tiger ignored him.

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/11/04/greg-norman-says-tiger-woods-snubbed-him-after-masters-maybe-he-just-dislikes-me/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rich - in name only

43 minutes ago, turtleback said:

What a weenie Greg Norman is.  He is actually complaining that Tiger didn't answer his congratulatory note after the Masters.  He has an overdeveloped sense of his own importance in the golf world.  Just like he got all butt hurt when he offered to give Tiger advice and Tiger ignored him.

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/11/04/greg-norman-says-tiger-woods-snubbed-him-after-masters-maybe-he-just-dislikes-me/

So a guy shows up to Tiger’s gate and drops off a note to a ‘guard’ who very well may have never heard of Greg Norman and says ‘Give this to Tiger.’ Has Norman ever considered Tiger never got the note? 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 hours ago, turtleback said:

My read on the article was it's a bit tongue in cheek....

Bill - 

2 hours ago, rehmwa said:

My read on the article was it's a bit tongue in cheek....

Disagree.  Not after years of throwing shade atvTiger, and previously whining about Woods ignoring his offer of advice.

The funniest thing is when he talks about things Jack and Arnie did and tries to draw parallels to what he wants to do.  As if he is somehow in their category.

• Like 1

Rich - in name only

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 11:22 PM, Vinsk said:

So a guy shows up to Tiger’s gate and drops off a note to a ‘guard’ who very well may have never heard of Greg Norman and says ‘Give this to Tiger.’ Has Norman ever considered Tiger never got the note? 

I’m just impressed that somebody was brave enough to stand outside of Tiger’s gate.

That’s a good way to get your ass run over!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

He's cooking on a pretty good round right now. T3

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, jamo said:

He's cooking on a pretty good round right now. T3

Indeed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Is it just me or has Tiger really slowed down his driver swing since the first of the comeback?  When he first came back recently, he recorded the highest swing speed at about 129 mph on a drive and averaged in the low to mid 120s and had ball speeds in the high 170s to low 180s.  I think the speed really showed at the Hero a while back because IIRC, he made the most birdies out of the field but made a bunch of bogeys.  He looked thick and quick.

Fast forward a little: it seems like when he went on that run at the Copperhead Course, the Open, the Tour Championship, the Masters, and up to now, he swings driver, to me, much slower.  Today, I didn't see him hit driver with ball speed more than 168; tour average is 167.  Looks like he just flicking driver to hit the fairway and then doing what he does with every other club.  

I guess Tiger is thinking that he can cruise driver around the course because his cruise speed is still higher than the average player.  That keeps the ball in play for him, and then he can do his usual Tiger magic with the irons and try to get hot with the putter.  Seems to be working for him.

Edited by ncates00