IGNORED

What is your target score?

flopster
Note: This thread is 3128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I try not to think about a target number when I'm out. Mainly because I know if I start well I think I have a chance to get there and always find a hole or two that blows up and miss the target. I'd rather just go out and play each hole the best I can on that day and take it from there.

• Upvote 1

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

When I was playing well some years ago it was always looking somewhere between 72-76. Today I have no target score. I just go out and enjoy my day on the course. I do not pay attention to my score and just try to hit the ball as solid as I can each time. The only thing I try not to do is make big numbers ie double of worse. 

When I first started playing golf, I just wanted to break 100.  It was ALWAYS a chore for me to keep it together and not have 2 or 3 blowup holes that would cost me 8+ strokes a round.  

As I started to get marginally better, I wanted to break 95.  

I began playing 'tournament' golf at some point in about 2003 and, after having quite a few years away from the game, I was again looking to break 100.  By 2004, I was pretty consistent about shooting between 95 and 105.  In 2005, we had another child... and then another in 2007, so I got away from the game again for a few years, just playing here and there when I had some spare time.

Around 2010, I joined another club and played tournaments with them.  That year, I broke 90 for the first time and finished the year doing that 5 times.  I was only able to do that a single time in 2011... and then stepped away again because of a career change.  I played only sparingly from 2012 through 2014 and only broke 90 twice, which happened to be on back-to-back days in 2013.

This year, I joined the Golfweek Amateur Tour and I've played a number of tournaments with them.  I've only cracked 90 twice... but every time I get on the course... my goal is to break 45 for each nine I play.  I figure if I can shoot 44 - 44... I'm doing pretty well.  I've posted 44 or better 7 times so far this season... and only 1 time for both nines in the same round, but... I've been finding my scores when I'm playing 'well' to be in the 46 range (give or take) recently.  Still... I like to try to 'aim' for less than bogey golf.  I figure if I can string together a few pars here and there, that's typically when I'll shoot a 43 or 44.  If I could just avoid the doubles... then I could adjust my target.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always head into a round hoping to break 90.  I don't focus too much on it during the round but it's always in the back of my mind.

Joe Paradiso

Every time I tee it up, I have a target of 75 or better.   This obviously isn't the norm, but it's my daily target when I play.  

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

When I first started playing golf, I just wanted to break 100.  It was ALWAYS a chore for me to keep it together and not have 2 or 3 blowup holes that would cost me 8+ strokes a round.  

As I started to get marginally better, I wanted to break 95.  

I began playing 'tournament' golf at some point in about 2003 and, after having quite a few years away from the game, I was again looking to break 100.  By 2004, I was pretty consistent about shooting between 95 and 105.  In 2005, we had another child... and then another in 2007, so I got away from the game again for a few years, just playing here and there when I had some spare time.

Around 2010, I joined another club and played tournaments with them.  That year, I broke 90 for the first time and finished the year doing that 5 times.  I was only able to do that a single time in 2011... and then stepped away again because of a career change.  I played only sparingly from 2012 through 2014 and only broke 90 twice, which happened to be on back-to-back days in 2013.

This year, I joined the Golfweek Amateur Tour and I've played a number of tournaments with them.  I've only cracked 90 twice... but every time I get on the course... my goal is to break 45 for each nine I play.  I figure if I can shoot 44 - 44... I'm doing pretty well.  I've posted 44 or better 7 times so far this season... and only 1 time for both nines in the same round, but... I've been finding my scores when I'm playing 'well' to be in the 46 range (give or take) recently.  Still... I like to try to 'aim' for less than bogey golf.  I figure if I can string together a few pars here and there, that's typically when I'll shoot a 43 or 44.  If I could just avoid the doubles... then I could adjust my target.

CY

Nice post, Appreciate the honesty. 

My target score is relative.  It's a score that will improve my current HI.

This I agree with. While I don't like to think about it before the round, I like the idea of deciding if it was a good round or not afterwards by this measure.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

I try not to think about the score. What I focus on is the next shot. When I play this way, I tend to play better and score lower. If I think about the overall score for the hole or round, my focus fades and I will make poor shots or decisions. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I can shoot a 96 If i'm wild however I usually shoot 2 over on each nine with about 3 birdies in a round and more bogies. Overall I forget score now and only focus on birdies I even shoot at sucker pins at times knowing I will bogey some more holes. My target is 7 birdies in a round I have never done it My best is 4 with dome doubles bogies and mostly pars.

Edited by Mike Boatright

• Administrator

I always know how I stand. It doesn't affect me at all. It's in the past, after all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think what gets most people to "stall" or remain at their current handicap is having these expectations or even "target scores".  If you can get yourself to a mental place where it is just about the current shot and nothing else, you are going to play much better.  I know its always been said "one shot at a time" but seriously if you can get there and not think about a target score.  If you are playing well, and start thinking of target score, what do you think is going to happen?  You convince yourself that you can afford a couple bad holes.  Next thing you know, bogie-bogie-double to finish only one stroke of your personal best.  You could have done much better if you would have gotten rid of the "target score" mantra.  

Be honest with yourself once you finish and manage your expectations, but never limit yourself by imparting a "target score"

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

I see the point some make about not wanting to focus or be reminded of where they are but the truth is we do think about it or let ourselves be reminded, I think being honest about it being somewhere in the back of your mind will help in the long run in dealing with the pressure versus using mental focus to block it out, I just don't see the latter being an effective method towards preparing for tournament or especially match play. Personally I rarely play now without something riding on it just so being in other pressure situations will not seem so big. Think about it if you always played casual rounds with the least amount of pressure upon you there is no way you could perform on any consistent level when the pressures on.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I always know where I stand, and I do my best not to pay attention to that.  I'd say I don't have a target when I start, other than to play each shot well.  Its not exactly a target, then, but at the end of the day I'm reasonably satisfied if my score is better than my average, which is around 80 right now.  Obviously that changes a little based on course rating and slope, but if I'm in the 70's, I've done at least a few things reasonably well.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I think what gets most people to "stall" or remain at their current handicap is having these expectations or even "target scores".  If you can get yourself to a mental place where it is just about the current shot and nothing else, you are going to play much better.  I know its always been said "one shot at a time" but seriously if you can get there and not think about a target score.  If you are playing well, and start thinking of target score, what do you think is going to happen?  You convince yourself that you can afford a couple bad holes.  Next thing you know, bogie-bogie-double to finish only one stroke of your personal best.  You could have done much better if you would have gotten rid of the "target score" mantra.  

Be honest with yourself once you finish and manage your expectations, but never limit yourself by imparting a "target score"

I have a memory of a round where this happened to me that I just can't forget.  I was going into 16 (par 5) at 2 under. BY FAR the best round I have EVER played. Walking off the 16th green, I told my buddy, I can go bogie, bogie on the next 2 holes and be even par which was my best ever at this course.  17 was a par 3 and 18 was an uphill par 4. Went on to drop one in the water on 17 and ended up with a double bogie. 3 putted 18 for a bogie.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I have a memory of a round where this happened to me that I just can't forget.  I was going into 16 (par 5) at 2 under. BY FAR the best round I have EVER played. Walking off the 16th green, I told my buddy, I can go bogie, bogie on the next 2 holes and be even par which was my best ever at this course.  17 was a par 3 and 18 was an uphill par 4. Went on to drop one in the water on 17 and ended up with a double bogie. 3 putted 18 for a bogie.

I have a memory of this happening to me about 4 times this year. I don't sleep well at night when this happens,

Just wondering what number you guys like to target at your ability level.

I really don't have a target score. I just try to go out and hit greens. Though I do tend to have goals for each hole or few holes I play. 

At the course I have a membership at I like to go -1 to E on the first three holes. The first hole is a simple shorter par 4. The second hole is a good par 5, but it's a birdie hole. The 3rd hole is a tougher longer par 4. If I had to be realistic I think playing the front nine in something like this would be good for me. I have good length so I need to attack the par 5's when I can. 

Holes 1-3: -1
Holes 4-6: E
Holes 7-9: -1 

I like the idea of breaking down the course into 3 hole matches or segments. I think it helps keep you focused on playing golf rather than the overall score. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!