IGNORED

2016 Waste Management Phoenix Open Discussion

Club Rat
Note: This thread is 2989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Waste Management Phoenix Open is one of my favorite tour stops. Dubbed as the "Official Start" of the PGA Tour season, it brings one of the most entertaining aspects to the golf fan with the famed 16th home, I call "The Snake Pit"

When the sunsets, fans could mosey over to the famed Coors Light Birds Nest. This years the entertainment lineup is packed with prime talent as Rascal Flatts, Dierks Bentley and Robin Thicke will take the stage at the popular Waste Management Phoenix Open entertainment venue.  I've attended the event 3 times and one year Fuzzy Zoeller went onstage with Hooty and the Blow Fish band to sing Wild Thing.

Years ago, many Pros who also had musical talents, would gather onstage to jam and entertain crowds. It's definitely a party weekend as the event has always been played on Super Bowl weekend.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ricky currently leading the field after shooting a -6 65. Phil was right there with him until he made a triple bogey, finishing with a -2 69.

Bill M

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 2/3/2016 at 5:57 AM, Club Rat said:

The Waste Management Phoenix Open is one of my favorite tour stops. Dubbed as the "Official Start" of the PGA Tour season, it brings one of the most entertaining aspects to the golf fan with the famed 16th home, I call "The Snake Pit"

How is that the official start when the season began months ago?

Seems that there are a lot of uses of the phrase "The Snake Pit" in Phoenix-based sports.  Always things that are lots of fun.  I need to make it out to the Phoenix Open some year.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 2/3/2016 at 5:57 AM, Club Rat said:

Dubbed as the "Official Start" of the PGA Tour season,

38 minutes ago, Shindig said:

How is that the official start when the season began months ago?

Seriously.  Every tournament since Kapalua has had this said about it.

• Kapalua is the official start because it's the first in the calendar year.
  • No, Sony Open is the real official start because it's the first "full field" event of the calendar year.
  • Yeah but it's on an island so it doesn't really count ... Bob Hope is the first "official" tourney of the year because its the first on the mainland.
  • Yeah, but the field isn't great and the courses are way too easy.  Torrey is truly the first official tournament of the year.
  • Yeah, but the weather was really bad and it's so close to the ocean, it's kinda like you're back on that aforementioned island, so it doesn't count either.  Scottsdale is the first official tourney of the year!!!!

(I'm sure somebody will claim next week is the first official tournament of the year because A) it's at Pebble, and B) football season will finally be over so we can now really pay attention to golf.)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Dubbed as the "Official Start" of the PGA Tour season,

Years ago back in the late 70's early 80's when the tour had a longer layoff, the players considered the Phoenix Open as the kick off of a new season. The PO was and has always been a relaxed party style atmosphere enjoyed by the professionals.

Although, while there has always been earlier events, many did not elect to play and usually spent the month of January with there family and used the month to knock he rust off their game.

How am I going to watch the game if they blowup my Drone....

The FAA says it will shoot down your drone if you fly within 36 miles of the Super Bowl

The Federal Aviation Administration is taking a tough stance on drones at the Super Bowl this year: bring them, and we’ll shoot them down. The “no-drone-zone” spans much further than just the stadium itself too, extending out 36 miles from Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California.

5 hours ago, nevets88 said:

That was pretty cool.

What can't you see at the 16th hole? The limit does not exist. ?

A video posted by PGA TOUR (@pgatour) on

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Keegan Bradley penalized for too many clubs in the bag in PHX...... WTF, was his caddie on crack.......

Keegan Bradley shot 66 in the opening round of the Waste Management Phoenix Open on Thursday. However, he signed for 3-under 68.

Unfortunately, Bradley realized after the first hole that he was carrying 15 clubs in his bag. Under the Rules of Golf, a player is only allowed 14.

The penalty for the violation of Rule 4-4 is two strokes for each hole that a player carries more than the allotted amount of clubs, up to a maximum of four strokes.

Luckily for Bradley, he realized it after the first hole and it only cost him two shots. That could have ruined what was a good first round at TPC Scottsdale. Had the 66 held up, it would have been Bradley's best score of the 2015-16 PGA Tour season. However, the 68 should help in getting Bradley to the weekend for the first time in 2016.

2 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

was his caddie on crack.......

No Coke...Pepsi! (Gotta think of the Olympia Cafe/Billy Goat Tavern routine from Belushi on SNL)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

1 minute ago, newtogolf said:

Unless Keegan snuck a club in the bag without the caddie knowing, the caddie should be fired.

People make mistakes, and Keegan is partly at fault. It's still his bag.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

18 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

People make mistakes, and Keegan is partly at fault. It's still his bag.

Exactly.  Do we know the specifics of how he ended up with 15 clubs?

Regardless, it certainly can't be solely on the caddies shoulders.

9 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Exactly.  Do we know the specifics of how he ended up with 15 clubs?

Regardless, it certainly can't be solely on the caddies shoulders.

Agreed. Both are to blame.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Ian Woosnam will have to send Bradley a sympathy note.

Watch out for Maruyama, that guy is a huge talent.  For all the talk of Fowler knocking on the door to make it a Big Four, Maruyama could make it a Big Five.  Wouldn't shock me if he won a major this year.

This years the entertainment lineup is packed with prime talent as Rascal Flatts, Dierks Bentley and Robin Thicke will take the stage at the popular Waste Management Phoenix Open entertainment venue

lol, "prime talent"

My caddie career was when I was much younger, but I did loop for guys in local am tournaments and once for a buddy in a Nike.com qualifier (that tells you how long ago it was). Even when it was the am's some of the guys would be putzing with a couple of putters or a new driver or wedge. I would always count the clubs once we were on the first tee, because I that is how I was taught. So while it is also on Keegan, as the player and almost as certainly as the one who put the extra club into the bag, I put most of the blame on the caddie.

Players play, tough players win!

Harold Varner III works up the crowd on No. 16 at Waste Management

In the opening round of the 2016 Waste Management Phoenix Open, Harold Varner III rolls in a 36-foot putt for birdie and excites the crowd on the par-3 16th hole.

http://www.pgatour.com/video/2016/02/04/harold-varner-iii-works-up-the-crowd-on-no--16-at-waste-manageme.html#ooid=1nZ2FvMDE6MjC8UrtV1pXnOSKJuOJbR7

varner.thumb.jpg.96bb70d57539b9e96258e2f

i like this tournament.  i like the vibe of the 16th, i like the fan interaction, i like the hotties they show in the grandstand.

btw the Torrey tournament is the first of the season.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!