IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

I voted no, and I will be about the same.

The no is because of playing significantly less golf - due to a new job, a new granddaughter and other family events (not complaining, I wouldn't change any of them).

I voted about the same because "I have no idea" was not an option and about the same was the best fit. I would think that if I get my schedule "straightened" out then I will be able to play more and then I would expect to play better...but who knows.

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm scoring around the low side of my average but my variance is a lot less than last year. I also feel like I am on the cusp of a bit of a break through, I can feel it building. I am far more accurate with my wedges and am improving significantly around the green with chipping just recently. I feel I am about to tie it all together. Have had a set back with my tee shots though, not hitting my driver or woods off the tee great right now. Next year I will continue to be better as I pretty much have nowhere to go but down. 

Edited by Gator Hazard

I'll definitely be better by next year. I've had a couple lost years to golf- not a lot of rounds, and on-again-off-again lessons. I'm worse now than I was several years ago, in fact, although I know more about how to golf than I ever have. 

If I can't improve this year, with the effort I'm hoping to put in, let's just say that'll be a bit demoralizing. Thus far, slow start for scoring, so improvement shouldn't be difficult!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Right now, yes I'm a better golfer.  I made a couple of adjustments to start the year and I'm loving the results.  Hitting the ball further and more pure.  However, those changes have also resulted in some inconsistency that I hope to iron out before the beginning of summer.  I mean, my bad shots right now ARE ****ING TERRIBLE.

So yes, I'm better, but my scores aren't.  Yet.

"Witty golf quote."

Yes and Yes. Made some good strikes last year and will be practicing/playing a lot more this year and I have a good idea of what I need to do to get down to a 2 by the end of this year.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I said no.

The scores from mid last year to now are very definitely worse. I've had enough rounds that I'd have thought the winter rust (always a factor in Ohio) would be done and dusted. I've got about five strokes on me compared to last summer.

I see that there is a lot of optimism here at TST.  I am among the optimists, not because I work that hard at my game, but because I simply know that I'm capable of better than it is now, and now it's better than it was last year.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I voted Yes and Yes. This time last year my handicap was 21 and I'm down to 14.5. I have been losing many shots around the green and I've sorted out my putting and chipping (or short pitching :-P) over the last 3 months - so if I can continue to execute those and keep having lessons, and at 29 my physical abilities are not diminishing much, I hope to be down to single digits this time next year.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

I feel like a worse golfer than I was a year ago, but I attribute that mostly to having higher expectations of my game. My handicap range is pretty similar and my "anti-cap" is a actually a bit better. Two things I know for certain, my distance has increased in the past year, but my short game has gotten worse. 

Since I believe I can fix the short game woes with more practice time, I'll say that I expect my game to improve by next year.

Voted YES.

Though I have played only for 2 months each of the last 3 years, i do have improvement in the swing technique that has resulted in better consistency and the recent irons upgrade has improved the scores. 

Hoping to continue the rounds through the year.... lets see how that goes :)

I did answer honestly, and no, I do not feel I am a better golfer than last year. Last year I wound up playing quite well. This year so far, I am hacking and chopping! But, it's still early. Last year at this time, we were still coming out of a brutal winter, and I had hardly played any golf at all. But, we'll see how things end up. It's how i"m playing at the end of the season that counts, not at the beginning!

For me the answers are Yes and Yes. Last year I believe I was a 36 and now my handicap is 24, goal is to be below 20 at the end of the season. Another thing that makes improvement obvious that sometimes I can be annoyed with a shot that would have been a good shot last year.

Yes and Yes

Last year I was a 15 (Game Golf) 13 (Congu) and currently I am 12 and 9.

I am aiming to get that down to 9 and 7. 

Hi, My name is Matt.

Yes and Yes - I had just started playing again this time last year and so inevitably wasn't very good.  After some lessons, a lot of practice and now this year getting some more rounds in I have definitely improved.   Repeating the same over the next 12 months and I'm sure I can improve some more.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

I'm better in that I am more capable of hitting the ball better, further and both ways with more regularity but my score has yet to really reflect the strides I have made. The endless search for improvement makes me wonder if I shouldn't just try and play from where I am at for three months and enjoy more consistency and make my HC move quicker but I know I have important things to work on. I'm probably trying to progress like a 15 year old who wants to turn pro instead of a 44 year old with limited time to play and practice. 

I voted yes, because I only started playing 9 months ago. As I am still pretty terrible, if I haven't improved greatly by next year I would give given the stupid game up.

I am so blood inconsistent. Friday I was 13 over handicap, and today I was 16 under

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I voted about the same.  My handicap is about a stroke lower than it was at this time last year, so maybe I'm a little better, but it would be a small improvement.  I'll see over the summer, once the monsoon season ends and I can play more often.  If I follow the normal trend, and my handicap drops by another stroke or even two, I'll definitely admit to improving.  For next year, I hope I can keep playing at this level.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.