IGNORED

JDay, DJ, Others Pull out of Olympics, Rickie, Others Still Going

ZappyAd
Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf doesn't need the Olympics, rather than risking their health and well being, pro's will enjoy the two weeks off home with their families.  

At this point you really have to feel bad for all the other athletes, especially those who will be swimming in the cesspool called Guanabara Bay, who can't afford to skip the Olympics and will have to endure the risks of being in Brazil for it.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just as I thought, the domino effect continues. At this rate, Stuart Appleby will be representing Australia and Ken Duke will part of Team USA.

The ZIKA Virus is what a lot of players are using as an excuse, but the bottom line is the timing of the Olympics is really bad for these guys. It's right after a WGC event, a British Open and PGA Championship and right before the Fed Ex Cup Playoffs start where most of these guys play every single event. And then for some like Rory, the Ryder Cup follows. The motivation's just not there. It's not a major....there's no prize money involved (unless the country decides to give them some), you're not getting the top 50 in the world.....for those who are motivated by a medal and are really into the whole country spirit, they'll play. But most don't.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

The ZIKA Virus is what a lot of players are using as an excuse, but the bottom line is the timing of the Olympics is really bad for these guys. 

I doubt it's being use as an excuse. These guys have major concerns about their well being and the well being of their families. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I doubt it's being use as an excuse. These guys have major concerns about their well being and the well being of their families. 

I disagree. I don't think there's a lot of motivation to go....period. And the Zika Virus is the tipping point for these guys and a reason they can use to back out. You won't hear them say "I don't have the motivation to go" but I think there's a lot of guys who just don't want to go simply because there are so many other big events surrounding the Olympics that they need to focus on.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I disagree. I don't think there's a lot of motivation to go....period. And the Zika Virus is the tipping point for these guys and a reason they can use to back out. You won't hear them say "I don't have the motivation to go" but I think there's a lot of guys who just don't want to go simply because there are so many other big events surrounding the Olympics that they need to focus on.

I was talking with a buddy of mine, and it settled on something more like this.  But more, these guys would like golf to stay in the olympics, but this year, its 1 in a bad area and 2 bad timing.  But instead of saying they just don't want to play in it, they say it's because of zika virus.  The latter has better intentions, which would keep golf in.  If its the former, olympic committee might just pull golf because they players don't want to play anyway.  Not to say zika is harmless, it's not.  But it's definitely not just because of zika that these guys are pulling out.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

55 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I tend to agree with this. Most would love to add an Olympic gold medal to their list of accomplishments, but they simply don't want to risk their family's health. The other factors may play a small part in helping them make the decision, but I belive without Zika, or if the Olympics were in the USA or Europe, these guys would be there. 

- Mark

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

That's pretty much what Adam Scott said, wasn't it?

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

So why don't they just wear this when they play?

beekeeper.jpg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Great article, thanks for posting.  

I hope for all the athletes that are participating in Rio that the health and personal safety risks are far lower than is being reported.  It would be a tragedy if any athlete were hurt in the streets or stricken with a deadly virus just because it was their dream to compete in the Olympics.  

Ultimately the IOC has to be held accountable for their selection of Brazil given all the financial problems the country has had.  Articles I've read stated almost every country loses money hosting the Olympics so while I'm sure some corrupt government officials lined their pockets with cash, Brazil as a country will be worse off when the Olympics are over than before they were selected to host it, sad.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

9 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Ultimately the IOC has to be held accountable for their selection of Brazil given all the financial problems the country has had.  Articles I've read stated almost every country loses money hosting the Olympics so while I'm sure some corrupt government officials lined their pockets with cash, Brazil as a country will be worse off when the Olympics are over than before they were selected to host it, sad.  

I still think the Olympics should not move around. It should have a permanent site to host the games every four years. This would save massively on venue costs and controversy regarding selection of sites. Pick a major city (perhaps Athens where the games began) and stick with it for the long-term and erect permanent venues. This would also add to the tradition of it, like with The Masters and Augusta. 

- Mark

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Braivo said:

I still think the Olympics should not move around. It should have a permanent site to host the games every four years. This would save massively on venue costs and controversy regarding selection of sites. Pick a major city (perhaps Athens where the games began) and stick with it for the long-term and erect permanent venues. This would also add to the tradition of it, like with The Masters and Augusta. 

If they continue to have trouble finding sites that want to host, they may have to do something like that indeed.

Until recently people like Billy Payne campaigned HARD to host.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Braivo said:

I tend to agree with this. Most would love to add an Olympic gold medal to their list of accomplishments, but they simply don't want to risk their family's health. The other factors may play a small part in helping them make the decision, but I belive without Zika, or if the Olympics were in the USA or Europe, these guys would be there. 

I think I lean more towards @Braivo and @saevel25. The motivation is the rareness and the novelty. How many golfers have an Olympic gold medal? And it's not like it's a massive time commitment.

I think the Zika virus excuse is a valid one. It would certainly deter me from going.

• Upvote 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I think it's odd that many people think that pros are pulling out of the Olympics like they would out of a Wednesday afternoon pro-am if given half an excuse to do so.. Like all of them are rich spoilt brats with no nationalistic pride whatsoever. That's a stretch and frankly, unfair arm chair quarterbacking.

• Upvote 2

Vishal S.

41 minutes ago, Braivo said:

Definitely not Athens. They broke attendance lows when the Olympics were held there in '04. Beijing did a great job in '08 with the Olympics.

24 minutes ago, jamo said:

I think I lean more towards @Braivo and @saevel25. The motivation is the rareness and the novelty. How many golfers have an Olympic gold medal? And it's not like it's a massive time commitment.

I think the Zika virus excuse is a valid one. It would certainly deter me from going.

I'm not in the know on this, but are there a lot of other Olympic athletes pulling out? Are NBA guys pulling out? If it's just golfers, then the argument that guys are just not motivated may have some merit to it. 

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Definitely not Athens. They broke attendance lows when the Olympics were held there in '04. Beijing did a great job in '08 with the Olympics.

I'm not in the know on this, but are there a lot of other Olympic athletes pulling out? Are NBA guys pulling out? If it's just golfers, then the argument that guys are just not motivated may have some merit to it. 

I agree, I just threw Athens out there as an uninformed suggestion. Many quality places that could host it for a long time. 

A few basketball players have pulled out, buy I'm not sure they cited zika. It is very different for most of the other smaller sports as those athletes rely heavily on the Olympics to make a living, it is their main event. It's not so easy for a swimmer or kayaker to pull out. 

• Upvote 2

- Mark

13 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Good point.

However, the first return on Google gives this slideshow: http://sportschatter.com/sports-talk/slideshow/big-name-athletes-pulling-out-rio-olympics/

It's golfer and tennis player heavy, but with several NBA names thrown in as well (and a TV host!)  Some of the NBA players are already injured, so it's obviously not the Zika thing, but who knows if it played into the decision for some of the others.

Also, agree with @Braivo about all of the other small sport athletes.  The Olympics is what the swimmers and track athletes live and train their entire lives for, so they're all much more likely to take risks that the big name golfers don't have to.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Just as I thought, the domino effect continues. At this rate, Stuart Appleby will be representing Australia and Ken Duke will part of Team USA.

And Gary Player did say that he was available to play for South Africa.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!