IGNORED

What Do You Do When Play Is Slow?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Assuming you can't play ahead, I generally look for a convenient hole to make an exit and head back to the truck, unload the clubs, return the cart, then head to the house, hook up the boat and go fishing...

If it is not a tournament and there are holes open in front of this slow group, I will usually skip forward a couple holes and come back to the ones I missed later.  If I am with people I am usually enjoying my time so we play $.50 games of Poison on the tee boxes.  Kills time and keeps us from complaining about slow play and even keeps us loose I suppose. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Look for golf balls, given my propensity for losing them it's always good to avail myself of some free ones while waiting. I'm sure to give a few back later in the round. Plus, it's a great way to try out different brands and models of ball. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I bid on a set of irons on eBay once. Play was slow enough I bid three more times. 

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

It depends on how slow the pace is that day. If I am on say the 14th hole and it has already been close to five hours I would just leave the course. I love this game, but I am there to play golf and waiting and waiting to hit each shot to me is not playing golf. Playing 5 1/2 to 6 hour rounds is not my idea of having a nice day. When I was working and had to play on the weekend and the courses were always crowded play was between 5-6 hours. My wife and I stopped playing golf and took up tennis until we retired. Then we played during the week and the play was at most 3 1/2 hours and less than three hours if no one was slowing us down. 

I'll sit on the green and practice putting/chipping (which I'm pretty sure is legal even in tournament play?).

Or I'll do what I did yesterday: I finished hole #4 (as a walker), said "%^&* it," and walked back to my car. Aint nobody got time fo dat.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

After a particularly bad experience this last Saturday we went to the pro-shop for some guidance on this very topic.  Their advice was take out your phone and give us a ring, and we will send out the course marshal to move things along.

We were the third group out at 7:10 am but unfortunately in-front of us were two four balls who were 'regulars' that allegedly 'always' play at that time.  They must have held up the entire course that day (we walked off at 12).  And the good news is they will be back again next week at the same time!  :cry:

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

Mostly just chat with the group and try to wait for 5 minutes extra on a tee box if we are not holding up people behind us so that at least for the next two or three holes we will be playing normal paced golf.  Nothing more irritating than waiting on almost every shot or every hole

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I hit into the group in front of me and then pretend like it was an accident.

(Joke based on another thread :whistle::-D)

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I call the clubhouse to send a ranger to light a fire up the behinds of the group in front of us.... 

(I didn't actually do that but I have seen someone who did) 

Sometimes we have to play when our schedule allows and face a 5 hour round, for which I have learned to grin and bear it, but it does take away from the day.  For my current home course I have learned the times when the play will be at a good pace if at all possible I play then.  It is forecasted to be very hot this coming weekend and I will likely tee off on Saturday or Sunday around 1PM, and with lots of hydration and shade seeking, have a 3 hour round.  NFL Sundays in the afternoon are also a great time to be on the course. 

11 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Nothing more irritating than waiting on almost every shot or every hole

For this very reason I'll wait until they at least finish the hole. That way I can play the whole hole (haha) at my own pace. Then its back to sit and wait again at the next tee. 

20 minutes ago, CyboNinja said:

For this very reason I'll wait until they at least finish the hole. That way I can play the whole hole (haha) at my own pace. Then its back to sit and wait again at the next tee. 

Often that is not an option, when you have people behind you waiting as well.

Note: This thread is 2832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!