IGNORED

Trump Courses - Would You Pay to Play One Now?

Note: This thread is 1527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would go out of my way to play Ferry Point NY as it seems the most accessible and affordable good course close to NYC. Who cares about who owns the place? It's irrelevant, surely. He is just participating in a democracy. You may not like him but from here I dont like her either. So?

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/21/2016 at 10:23 AM, Elmer said:

I never met Hitler, pretty sure I hate him!
Which is why I wont go to Germany. Good thing I am not missing out on any courses there!

I concur !!!!!

That's a shame! My brother served in the U.S. Army and did a couple of tours of service in Germany. He enjoyed himself immensely! Especially when on leave walking down a street in Stuttgart in civvies wearing his Ohio State jacket. From a sidewalk biergarten he hears a shout of "Go Buckeyes"!

Turning to look, he sees a German guy, with some of his buddies, waving him over. Bought him beer all afternoon, and they caught up like it was old times!

To get back to the original point, i would not play a Trump then or now, simply because they are too expensive. I am not of the financial means to afford such luxuries.

David Feherty references Royal County Down quite a bit in his writing, even referring to it as "the greatest golf course on the face of the planet". Well, maybe second behind the old course at St. Andrew's. Curious, I Googled it up.

Holy cow! The place is gorgeous! I would absolutely LOVE to play a single round of golf there. Then I looked at the rates! Way out of my league, never mind the cost just to get there! And you know what? The place is NOT owned by Donald Trump!

To get back to the original point, Donald Trump's political leanings have absolutely nothing to do with my choice of what course to play or not! Even though, generally, I support them!

It has to do with what I can afford. Plus, I'm lucky in that there are courses close by designed by Ross, Dye, Weiskopf-Morrish, Hurdzan-Fry, Fazio, and others to keep me happy for the rest of my days!

And for those choosing to hop on their political high horse. Unless you are willing to ascertain the political philosophies of the owners of every golf course you play in order to determine if that track is "worthy" of your play upon it, you are nothing but a poseur!

If I wanted to play course XY or Z and I had the means to . I would. Golf is the last place I want to get all political

Edited by chilepepper
  • Upvote 1

Played Doonbeg in Western Ireland a few years back right after Trump bought it and long before he was a candidate for POTUS. TRUMP was festooned everywhere, from the front of the hotel to name of the Pub to the tee boxes with tee markers as little TRUMP signs. The employees were a bit distressed at the pretentiousness that had taken over what they described as a pretty low key place before he bought it. Prices spiked as well. Nice track but I won't go there again. Too many other classics in the area anyway.

Bill M

Now that Trump was won the election I wonder if the USGA, PGA Tour and LPGA Tour change their views on playing tournaments at his golf courses.  

Joe Paradiso

On 11/14/2016 at 1:12 PM, newtogolf said:

Now that Trump was won the election I wonder if the USGA, PGA Tour and LPGA Tour change their views on playing tournaments at his golf courses.  

Of course they won't! They wouldn't dare risk the backlash from the PC media!

11 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Very true. If the LPGA moved the US Open from Trump's course, there would be a backlash from right-wing media.

I think every organization will avoid making any political statement (in either direction) with course selection moving forward. Which, I'd argue, is ideal.

Back on topic, I'd have no problem playing a Trump course. 

- John

• 4 weeks later...

Golf transcends politics, I think. I either like a course, or I don't.

• Upvote 1

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

On 11/20/2016 at 6:20 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Why not? ..look how good it worked out for the media with the presidential election coverage...haha...

I would go as far as saying they might, if Trump's courses are proven to be some of the best.

But to answer the question at hand..I'd say..Not really. 

Edited by Hategolf

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I would love to play the Trump courses.  Heck,  I would love

to play a round with The Donald himself.  Would be fun to see what kind of a golfer he really

is.  Screw politics, I think it would just be fun.

Gene, Retired Army, photography, aviation and golf enthusiast

Trenton, SC

Adams aOS12 set.

Gordon Lakes GC home course

Don't care for the man at all, however he knows what he is doing when it comes to golf courses. I have been lucky enough to play Turnberry since the renovation and it is the best golf course I've ever played. Playing of the medal tees offers some great golf holes not just visually but also from a playing perspective too. The amount of consideration, work and money that has been invested at Turnberry is exceptional. I played it late last year and the fees were reduced for winter, still cost £180. I played with a member and he knows that rates have been raised for this summer, talking fees of £300. Despite it being a fantastic day out and once in a lifetime experience, the price seems a little excessive...especially as it goes a long way to lining his never ending pockets.

On 12/16/2016 at 4:52 PM, Hategolf said:

Why not? ..look how good it worked out for the media with the presidential election coverage...haha...

I would go as far as saying they might, if Trump's courses are proven to be some of the best.

But to answer the question at hand..I'd say..Not really. 

You have a point.

It seems the dominant media culture doesn't like having their own crap thrown back in their faces!

On 3/13/2017 at 8:43 AM, ScottishGolfer said:

Don't care for the man at all, however he knows what he is doing when it comes to golf courses. I have been lucky enough to play Turnberry since the renovation and it is the best golf course I've ever played. Playing of the medal tees offers some great golf holes not just visually but also from a playing perspective too. The amount of consideration, work and money that has been invested at Turnberry is exceptional. I played it late last year and the fees were reduced for winter, still cost £180. I played with a member and he knows that rates have been raised for this summer, talking fees of £300. Despite it being a fantastic day out and once in a lifetime experience, the price seems a little excessive...especially as it goes a long way to lining his never ending pockets.

I have read in several publications that the Trump Corps redesign and renovation of Turnberry's "Ailsa" course is nothing short of a masterwork!

And Trump's company has done this at Doral and many other places. Yet so many seem to want to snipe!

You refer to the "exceptional" amount of consideration, work and money that have been invested, yet seem to desire that no return on that investment be realized. This suggests to me that you might be a very poor businessman.

And there are plenty of incredibly expensive places to play around the globe. Are they all owned by conservatives or populists? No! They are owned by people interested in making money!

It might interest you to know that many of the world's wealthy are liberal! They have nothing against money, unless its owned by the wrong people!

I could tell my grand kids that I played at the president's golf course...

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• 4 weeks later...

I would play a course owned by just about anybody, including our next President (Oprah).

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 1527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!