IGNORED

The 27 Absolute Most Irritating Golf Habits, Ranked [Golf.com]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Number one is being shocked by your poor play. Did not know hate of poker chips as a marker was a thing. Also never really took notice of anyone using a rangefinder for short game shots. I would put unsolicited advice way higher.

http://www.golf.com/extra-spin/27-most-irritating-golf-habits-ranked

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They're really phoning it in, lol . .I guess everybody's ready for the offseason.

#17 - Putting everything out

#4 - taking gimmees. 

Repeating lines from Caddy Shack?  Is this an archive re-run from 1988 that they forgot to update?

An interesting list.  For me most of  this list is not a big deal.  A few are very annoying and difficult to ignore without comment.  But if you're going to play you have to learn to overcome distractions.

Butch

Slow play is and will always be #1.

The poker chip thing does annoy me a bit when it's close to my line. It's not a huge deal, but what's the point of having a giant ball marker? Just get a normal sized one. If you have trouble seeing it, get a normal sized but really colorful one.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

19 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Slow play is and will always be #1.

The poker chip thing does annoy me a bit when it's close to my line. It's not a huge deal, but what's the point of having a giant ball marker? Just get a normal sized one. If you have trouble seeing it, get a normal sized but really colorful one.

Ha ha!   I have a couple of poker chips that I use.   They are about the size of a 50 cent NZ coin that I like to use as well.   I just happen to like the look, but will put a smaller one down if I am close to someone's line for the very reason to not distract anyone putting.

I used to play with someone who would shoot the pin from 40 yards and while it didn't annoy me, I thought it was silly.   I suppose if you specifically go out and get a feel for those distances you want to know within a few yards at that close range.   But let's just say I knew he didn't go to the range and do that.

—Adam

#8 (logo-philia) is kind of a strange one; it's hard to buy golf-related things without a logo on them.  My golf bag has a Callaway logo on it (I don't use callaway clubs) and I have had people look at my clubs, expecting to see Callaway's.  I thought that was strange but what was actually rude was the guy introduced himself, then walked directly to my bag and pulled out a club to see what it was!

Phone dependency and non-ready cart golf drive me batshit, whether it's in my group or the jags I'm waiting on.

Everything else is easy to shrug off... for me anyway.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

5 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

Ha ha!   I have a couple of poker chips that I use.   They are about the size of a 50 cent NZ coin that I like to use as well.   I just happen to like the look, but will put a smaller one down if I am close to someone's line for the very reason to not distract anyone putting.

Honestly, this is best way to handle this. If you like a giant poker chip, fine. Have another ball mark to use when you're close to someone else's line. Perfect for me. :beer:

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

No. 2. Nope. Caddy Shack never gets old.

No. 1 can get confused with general anger over poor play and, of course, No. 10 (temper tantrums). Those are sensitive ones for me.

I'm also guilty of No. 17 putting everything out and No. 27, counting on my fingers. What do you want, it's a bunch of strokes. Just be happy I don't take off my shoes.

27.  I do this.  26. I do this. 25.  ugh..  I do this.   24.  I do this..  kinda.  I mean, i'm not opposed to a breakfast ball.    5.  I do this.. 

I thought that would be worse..  but, I'm definitely guilty of some..  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

This is actually a pretty good list.  I'm definitely guilty of spouting cliches, and have been known to toss a club or slash a club head in the ground.

Not playing ready golf is definitely one of my pet peeves.  I was hoping to see "that guy who repeatedly has no idea when its his turn to putt" make the list.  I hate that guy.

I am also guilty of another that is not on the list.  

being too oblivious to pull the pin, when you're clearly the guy in the best position to pull the pin.  

check out my swing here

I'm not opposed to breakfast ball if there is no driving range to warm up.

Slow play and unsolicited advice top my list. The rest really don't bother me

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Many of these are just going to be ticks or idiosyncrasies that people have.  Counting on your fingers is more of a unnecessary learned

18 minutes ago, lastings said:

I am also guilty of another that is not on the list.  

being too oblivious to pull the pin, when you're clearly the guy in the best position to pull the pin.  

Someone once asked me on 18, whilst holding the flagstick, "Do you know how much a flagstick weighs?"   I said no, not understanding.   And he goes "Yeah, you probably wouldn't because you haven't picked one up all day."   

• Upvote 4

—Adam

Just now, imsys0042 said:

Someone once asked me on 18, whilst holding the flagstick, "Do you know how much a flagstick weighs?"   I said no, not understanding.   And he goes "Yeah, you probably wouldn't because you haven't picked one up all day."   

Ha!  hilarious!

check out my swing here

Some are minor irritations.  Most I don't really care about.  It is mainly when one or more of these characteristics starts to slow down play that I will consider taking action.  Also, the "temper tantrum" issue is a problem if it occurs more than once a round.  We all get a bit angry at times, it just shouldn't occur often in the same round.

Brian Kuehn

Guilty of a few of these, sort of.

I named dropped a couple of courses just yesterday on the "splurge" thread, but otherwise, I don't really do that.

I will use my range finder on short-ish shots, but specifically because I know that my "full-swing" 54* pitch goes 45 yards.  Anything that's obviously well inside of that, I don't use it.

And I'm the opposite of one of them ... I'm the guy guilty of talking to other players balls too much, and I know that it probably annoys some, so I've been trying to stop that, so far to no avail.

I think that's it for me.

Note: This thread is 2757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!