Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brad W

Kirkland (Costco) Premium Golf Ball?

573 posts / 63212 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

Got a notice on Facebook from mygolfspy that these ball are no longer being made.

Here are the details:

https://www.mygolfspy.com/costco-suspends-k-sig-production/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

5 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I just got this too! Oh well it was good while they lasted. Now that they are a collectors item I wonder how much my 10 dozen balls are worth? :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

I just got this too! Oh well it was good while they lasted. Now that they are a collectors item I wonder how much my 10 dozen balls are worth? :whistle:

Check Ebay prices...Somebody is selling 2 dozen for $75 and has 9 bids.   That is quite a profit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Check Ebay prices...Somebody is selling 2 dozen for $75 and has 9 bids.   That is quite a profit.

Good profit until you have to replace the two dozen balls.  :-\  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well this does make me kind of sad. I'm not all that familiar with corporate business and politics (although I do start my MBA on Monday! lol) but it seems like if Costco can sell this type of ball for $15/doz, through Nassau as the manufacturer, even if it was short lived from this or that, why are we paying ~$45/doz for something basically the same? 

Actually that's not really my question, I get the whole "you pay for quality" thing but I'm just surprised that if Kirkland is able to make a nearly identical ball without any patent infringements (I guess it's more identical to this "Quattro" ball?) and let's say they don't have the 99.999% quality control, but maybe 99%? I'd take the 1% hit on QC and pay a third the price. That's just where my game is right now. That's where a lot of players' games are, I think.

I play different golf when I have a sleeve of ProV1's. I cringe over the ball to some unmeasurable degree because I think to myself "dang, if I lose this ball in the water, that's like $4!"

I guess I'll have to either go to Snell or maybe back to used Bridgestone e6's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just played my first round with the K-sig in Florida Sunday. I can honestly say, they were as good as advertised for sure. Great ball flight, long and soft around the green.  I wish I would have loaded up and bought more than 10 dozen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

Well this does make me kind of sad. I'm not all that familiar with corporate business and politics (although I do start my MBA on Monday! lol) but it seems like if Costco can sell this type of ball for $15/doz, through Nassau as the manufacturer, even if it was short lived from this or that, why are we paying ~$45/doz for something basically the same?

Because it's not the same.

For all we know these were stolen dimple patterns and/or manufacturing processes. China, Korea, etc. aren't exactly known for avoiding infringement.

Never mind quality control and other things that can affect the cost to produce goods.

14 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

Actually that's not really my question, I get the whole "you pay for quality" thing but I'm just surprised that if Kirkland is able to make a nearly identical ball without any patent infringements (I guess it's more identical to this "Quattro" ball?) and let's say they don't have the 99.999% quality control, but maybe 99%? I'd take the 1% hit on QC and pay a third the price. That's just where my game is right now. That's where a lot of players' games are, I think.

What if it's 95%? 90% And what if the ball does infringe on other patents?

14 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

I guess I'll have to either go to Snell or maybe back to used Bridgestone e6's.

There are plenty of good options in the sub-$30/dozen price range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, jkelley9 said:

why are we paying ~$45/doz for something basically the same? 

I've been thinking all along that the industry hated this story. They hate Golf Now, too. Tee times are like airplane seats. They are perishable, so the theory is why not get all the value you can? But that creates a customer base that isn't paying full price. For what? Is the Wynn really worth $500 a round?

I have a degree in journalism. This is a big story that nobody has really been covering. Golf is shrinking; golf is expensive. You think this isn't connected? My reporter's instinct tells me this might be due for a correction. The popularity of the K-Sig is a symptom of a much larger issue, or not. That's what I would do as a reporter. That's the story I'd like to write.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jkelley9 said:

Actually that's not really my question, I get the whole "you pay for quality" thing but I'm just surprised that if Kirkland is able to make a nearly identical ball without any patent infringements (I guess it's more identical to this "Quattro" ball?) and let's say they don't have the 99.999% quality control, but maybe 99%? I'd take the 1% hit on QC and pay a third the price. That's just where my game is right now. That's where a lot of players' games are, I think.

The way I understood the story was that Kirkland isn't "making" anything.  Nassau made them, and they aren't even made for Kirkland, but rather they are Quattro overruns.  Nassau doesn't want to undercut themselves by selling Costco more balls.

Quote

A representative of Nassau Golf (originally listed as the manufacturer of the Kirkland Signature Ball on the USGA conforming list) has told MyGolfSpy that Costco purchased overruns of Nassau's European-market-exclusive Quattro ball. There is some indication the sale was made through a third party, and that Nassau may not have been directly involved in the deal. The same source confirms that while the Costco balls have a different core color, the material composition and layer thickness are absolutely identical to the Quattro.

With the initial supply of overruns exhausted, Costco effectively has nothing left to sell.

With Costco selling its version of the Quattro at its cost ($15/dozen), it appears that Nassau is not particularly interested in selling Costco any additional inventory. As you can imagine, there's little interest in allowing Costco to undercut the Quattro with the Quattro, nor is there any desire to see the ball market (including direct-to-consumer brands like Snell, and OEMs such as TaylorMade) undercut either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

I have a degree in journalism. This is a big story that nobody has really been covering. Golf is shrinking; golf is expensive. You think this isn't connected? My reporter's instinct tells me this might be due for a correction. The popularity of the K-Sig is a symptom of a much larger issue, or not. That's what I would do as a reporter. That's the story I'd like to write.

You can buy golf balls right now for under a buck a ball. Not everyone needs $40/dozen golf balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can buy golf balls right now for under a buck a ball. Not everyone needs $40/dozen golf balls.

I could not agree more with this statement. I would think that most recreational Golfers do not need the top performing ball. As of matter of fact, I would think most players would benefit from a lower spin ball. With a fairly new wedge you can put enough spin on most balls (that are not a rock) to keep the ball close enough for a putt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hategolf said:

I could not agree more with this statement. I would think that most recreational Golfers do not need the top performing ball. As of matter of fact, I would think most players would benefit from a lower spin ball. With a fairly new wedge you can put enough spin on most balls (that are not a rock) to keep the ball close enough for a putt.

You don't even need a new wedge. Pal Joey Wedge has NO grooves, but a sandpaper like finish and it will definitely spin a ball. Not sure if conforming though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, jkelley9 said:

I play different golf when I have a sleeve of ProV1's. I cringe over the ball to some unmeasurable degree because I think to myself "dang, if I lose this ball in the water, that's like $4!"

I guess I'll have to either go to Snell or maybe back to used Bridgestone e6's.

Yes, check out Snell. High quality, great value, engineer co-designed the ProV1 and TaylorMade balls.

https://www.snellgolf.com/products/get-sum/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

You don't even need a new wedge. Pal Joey Wedge has NO grooves, but a sandpaper like finish and it will definitely spin a ball. Not sure if conforming though.

I would guess that wedge is completely useless out of dewy rough. Grooves contribute little to any spin off a perfect lie but a little bit of grass completely changes the ballgame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

I would guess that wedge is completely useless out of dewy rough. Grooves contribute little to any spin off a perfect lie but a little bit of grass completely changes the ballgame.

can't really say as its been so long since I owned one. I do remember it as pretty good around the green. I don't remember what become of it. I more than likely included it in a set of irons I sold. That may have been twenty years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

can't really say as its been so long since I owned one. I do remember it as pretty good around the green. I don't remember what become of it. I more than likely included it in a set of irons I sold. That may have been twenty years ago.

a little OT, but I seem to recall a few years back, you could buy these little emory cloth stick ons for your irons. When the granules wore smooth, simply replace with new face plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I suppose it would have been nice if Costco advertised from the beginning that this was a limited overrun, I can understand why they didn't.

I can't get too excited about the whole thing, since it's not to difficult to get high-quality golf balls for a reasonable price (from several sources).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...