IGNORED

I quit golf...now what?

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 2698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

I did the same thing.

Work had,( and still has) me angry and depressed to the point where I gave up anything that made me happy.  We had a mild winter and the crap at work with moving our office( make that now a trailer with no bathroom, phone or internet) 45 minutes further out of the way it just sucked the life out of me.

I used to play 9 holes with my group 3-4 Times a week and some days practice on my way home.  There is a course a mile from me.  Weekend nites I'd go down and practice until dark.

Work sucked it all out of me...traffic coming home everyday turned the ride into 90 minutes and by the time I was back near the house it was dinner time.  Didn't have to be in the office all the time but something always came up.  Wasn't that bad before, office was in a perfect spot and 15 minutes away from everything....not at the end of the world where it is now.

So, fast forward to July.  Still hadn't played.  I would go to the range once in a while but by July I had really put out the burning desire for golf.

Towards the end of July obese talking with a friend I used to work with and he got me thinking....the only time I missed playing golf was when I thought about the group of guys I play with.  One day I stopped at the course when I knew they finished up and would sit around talking and having a drink.  That was when I realized I was missing something....

I told myself, screw the work thing, it's not going to get better.  Get back out and enjoy yourself.  What's funny is another friend told me that playing golf was my coping mechanism for work...he was right.

So I went back out that week, 2-3 Times a week and have had my best year playing I can remember.

Thats another reason I keep failing to quit golf. Its my coping mechanism and many have actually said I suck a lot more without golf, then I do with it. That and Im hoping to have lots of memories playing golf with my little boy as he grows. And since I dont fish or hunt, not real sure what else we could do together as he gets older. Thanks for your post. It was helpful and insightful. Sorry your work life is killing you. I can totally relate. Hope it gets better for both of us soon. :beer:

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

I like @newtogolf's suggestion. Start a vegetable garden. Or maybe open a cheese shop to go along with all your whine. 

Sorry. Had to. It's off topic but....

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

NOT MUCH CALL FOR CHEDDAR????????

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Just accept the fact that 19 HCP may be as good as you're gonna get and enjoy the sunshine.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I don't see the point of quitting "cold turkey". Go if you want to go. Otherwise don't.

Not sure what your course selection is like either, but playing a different course can help a lot sometimes. My home course can often upset me rather significantly (you can ask @CarlSpackler about that). So I mix in some other courses, including ones that I know won't be as crowded. There are a few around here that i can play in three hours or less on most afternoons.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I don't see the point of quitting "cold turkey". Go if you want to go. Otherwise don't.

Not sure what your course selection is like either, but playing a different course can help a lot sometimes. My home course can often upset me rather significantly (you can ask @CarlSpackler about that). So I mix in some other courses, including ones that I know won't be as crowded. There are a few around here that i can play in three hours or less on most afternoons.

You? Get upset? Naaaaah. :-P

• Upvote 1

- Shane

On 11/18/2016 at 7:03 PM, woodzie264 said:

I think golf is working on slow play/time issues as discussed in other threads with poss 6 and 12 hole designs. But yeah, if you need a break, take it. You'll be back :beer:

I don't see these 6 and 12 hole designs doing anything about slow play other than maybe reducing the total time to play a "round". As far as I'm concerned a 12 hole "round" of golf is nothing but a gimmick! A round of golf is 18 holes! The R&A says so, St. Andrews made it so, so that's the way it is!

And I can tell you this, if a gang of hackers takes 20-25 minutes to play a hole in front of me, I'll be bitching just as much, 12 hole course or not!

What will help pace of play is teaching people how to play the doggone game! And not just the mechanics of the swing, but how to get around the course in an efficient manner. And how to take care of the course!

Sorry to hear of your accident.  Glad you are fine but totaling your car has to hurt, especially financially.

You never responded on playing Par 3/Executive courses.  If you ever want to play with your son, that is where you'll be.  Might as well get a jump on it and also keep the rust off the clubs.

John

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I don't see these 6 and 12 hole designs doing anything about slow play other than maybe reducing the total time to play a "round".

True statement. But I, like many of the respondents, wasn't attempting to address all of the OP's issues, but rather be helpful in pointing out some solutions to one of his various issues. I don't see where you offered anything helpful to the OP, unless you were suggesting that he pay for everyone to get lessons, which of course is impractical. 

On November 18, 2016 at 6:37 PM, stealthhwk said:

Need something to do for a little me time every week. Golf is dead to me. Its been a long time coming but Im done. Its too hard, too costly, and it takes waaaaaaay to long. Golf isnt going to fix slow play and golf isnt going to get easier so Im out. But what the heck do I do now?

Again, the time that it takes to play was one the OP's explicit complaints.

Functionally, the 6-12 hole course options would practically address this stated complaint. The fact that you feel that they are gimmicky is irrelevant and has no bearing on things. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

For the spring and summer - Gardening can be fun and eating what you grow is always cool.

Bowling is fun and they do have leagues.  Darts are fun and they have leagues as well.  Couple there that can get you out of the house a night or two without breaking the bank.

If you are handy, a little workshop in the cellar can be fun.  Making CD/DVD holders, bookcases, entertainment centers...

These are some side things I do and my son like to do them as well.  Dont like to see anyone quit golf.  Hope you find something to keep you busy and eventually make it back to the course.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

23 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

Sorry to hear of your accident.  Glad you are fine but totaling your car has to hurt, especially financially.

You never responded on playing Par 3/Executive courses.  If you ever want to play with your son, that is where you'll be.  Might as well get a jump on it and also keep the rust off the clubs.

John

The only executive course in my area is a 45 minute drive so its tough to get out that way often, but its a good idea all the same. And thanks for the well wishes about the car accident. Fortunately I have gap coverage and Amica as my insurer. They have covered everything for me, now its just a matter of jumping through the hoops required. 

:beer:

42 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

The only executive course in my area is a 45 minute drive so its tough to get out that way often, but its a good idea all the same. And thanks for the well wishes about the car accident. Fortunately I have gap coverage and Amica as my insurer. They have covered everything for me, now its just a matter of jumping through the hoops required. 

:beer:

Good to hear that things are working out.  Good luck with whatever you do.  I can tell you first hand that being able to share time with your son playing golf or whatever is priceless.

Our twin boys did play a little golf when they were young, had other interests, but I joined them in whatever sport/activity they were doing.  Fast forward a couple of decades and we get out and play a round when we visit them, (they both ended up in AZ), or one of them is in town.

John

On 11/20/2016 at 7:22 AM, boogielicious said:

Not too off-topic... golf really does deliberately waste your time.

Edited to add:  Just watched the video; there's a different version where, when John Cleese asks if he has any cheese at all, Michael Palin replies, "No sir, I've been deliberately wasting your time."

To the OP, I was going to quit playing this year.  Then I decided to just quit counting.  I started hitting the ball easier (and therefore better) and enjoying myself more.   Golf is really fun if you don't worry about the outcome.  Whack the ball, find it, and whack it again.

Edited by krupa

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I've now played for 58 years. However I did not play ever one of those years. There were times when work would not permit it or whatever but I always came back to the game. I moved in 1990 and since then have played on a regular basis. In 1999 I had a liver transplant due to my time in the military as a Navy/Maine Corpsman. The operation was then about 16 hours so I walked and played 9 holes every day for a year just to get into shape. Then after the operation and 5 months later when I returned home again I bought a new set of irons. In the hospital I thought about playing golf and that helped keep me going. It was instrumental in my recovery so golf is now in my blood and is a special game for me.  

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://thesandtrap.com/search/?tags=quit&sortby=newest&page=1

If anyone wants to reflect back on how often someone at TST gets frustrated with golf, this search based on the "quit" tag can give you perspective.

@stealthhwk- hoping things are going a bit better there. 

• Upvote 3

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 2698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!