IGNORED

What are Your 2017 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2017 golf goals:

1. Play some golf.

2. Define my club yardages.

3. Work on consistency.

Methods:

1. Due to financial and family medical issues, I wasn't able to play much if at all over the past few years. Hopefully things have stabilized and I will be able to get a few rounds of golf in during the 2017 golf season.

2. Hit the winter driving ranges, work on my strength and flexibility, and go to the grass practice areas once they thaw out. Work on a few clubs at a time so I can also work on a consistent swing.

3. See how 1 and 2 go, and filter this in as well.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Here's my punch list for 2017...

1) Drop from 12 handicap into single digits -- Basically I need to hit 60% FIR and 40% GIR or better every round in 2017.  Those two metrics, particularly the latter, is what will get me into single digits.  My putting is consistent 30-33 putts/round but I really need to get my GIR numbers to a more consistent level.  I'm finally seeing the practice I've put in over the past several months coming to fruition and am seeing both FIR and GIR numbers trend upward.

2) Win a Major tournament on the GC Am Tour -- I played in my first Major event this summer and I've been on a good run since then in local events.  I was only 2 back in the major after day one but let a couple of holes kill my chances at winning.  I've been practicing a ton on the areas where I need to get better and the results are finally taking shape.  And I've been on a good run lately winning both of my last two local events, so I feel like I'm tracking in the right direction.

3) Quality and finish in the top 25 in my handicap flight at the GC Am Tour National Championship in September (Mission Hills) - I need just one more win to qualify, so that should be an easy hurdle to clear once the season starts back up in Feb/Mar.  The top 25 finish is going to take 4 solid days of really good, consistent golf from me, though.  I know I've got it in me.

4) Improve short game consistency -- kind of generic one but this is where the money is made for me.  Last summer my short game around the green was awesome but I let it slip from my practice regiment.  I've got a new plan to break my practice sessions into timed sections now and short game is going to be a part of every session.  My goal is anytime I'm inside 100 yards I should be dropping that ball inside 10 feet.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

My goal for 2017 is the same as my goal for 2016.   Break 80 at least once.  

My plan is: 

1) Better equipment.   I got fitted for some new irons, but haven't received them yet.  For the last 2 years, I have been using a $200 set that I found in the bargain bin in my local golf shop. 

2) Instruction.  I bought 10 half hour lessons, so far I have taken 4.  But basically, in the long run, have an instructor. 

3) Better practice habits.   Don't just beat balls at the range.   Video my swing.  Consult the video between shots.   Focus on what my instructor wants me to do.  

4) Practice trouble shots.  The driving range is a nice flat lie, wide open, no pressure.   No sidehill lies, no downhill lies.  But when I play, I am inevitably faced with things like a chip shot from heavy rough with a severe downhill lie.   Or a low punch shot from under a tree.  I have to widen my practice and not just practice perfect full shots.  

Speaking of instruction, I bought 10 lessons from Golftec, and they're good lessons, I like my instructor, but what I might do is, after these indoor lessons are exhausted, hire my local pro to teach me how to hit trouble shots.   Chipping out of heavy rough, how to hit a high bunker shot, how to chip from a sidehill lie, how to hit a low punch shot from under a tree, etc.   All that really messy stuff that comes up during a round that no one practices.  So many times during a round, you have to make the best of a bad situation.  So many times, I am faced with a messy little dilemma and have no clue how to hit the shot, and it destroys my score. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My goals for golf are always competition based. 

My annual goal is always to qualify for the US Open. But unless i catch lighting in a bottle its unlikely. You usually have to shoot in the 130's in sectionals to advance, and I'm not sure i have that in me. Im past the point of trying to make swing changes in attempts to shoot lower scores. Thats not the answer for me. I just have to play good and do it. 

• Upvote 1

I only have a few of goals for the coming year, similar but not the same to the ones I had last year.  I did make some good strides this year which will put me into a good spot to pick things back up again in 2017.

1.  Continue with instructor as needed and keep working on what has worked so far this year.  Keep swings thoughts easy and to a minimum.

2.  Play more often next year.  I am treating myself to a season pass at my local course so this is very attainable

3.  Practice with a purpose.  Quit just hitting balls for the sake of hitting balls.  Have an intent and stick to it when practicing and put pressure on myself        so that it doesn't feel different out on the course

4.  Most important - stop beating myself up over a bad shot.  Relax and have fun...

If I can stick to these I know I will see significant improvements again this time next year.

My 2017 Goal.

1) Shoot in the 80's most of the time.

To get there I need to:

*Execute the same moves I  work on the range on the course with confidence.

*Understand how to correct the sudden inexplicable pull/hook.

*Work on the mental part of my game.

*Work on my Driver. 

2017 Golf Goals

1. Off the tee better - (just changed driver shaft)

2. Concentrate on approach distances more accurately - GPS or Yardage Books

3. Less lag putting - (preserve the par/bogey thinking based on the approach shot).

4. Learn/accept the new driver & iron shaft weight changes - (fitter dropping me down a weight).

1. Post your goals personal golf-related goals for 2017. Be specific and thorough. - Become more consistant. I have birdied a par 3 and taken 10 shots to do a par 4 in the last month. It would be nice to know that I can consistantly get within 1 of a par.
  2. Elaborate on how you'll go about achieving these goals. Details, people! :-) Practice practice practice. I will also be buying a driver after having lessons. I have been playing with just irons so hopefully that should help take a shot off some of the longer holes.

Slow play gets on my last nerve.  I'm going to figure out ways to ignore it.  Perhaps pack along a newspaper and a folding chair...

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

40 minutes ago, Piz said:

Slow play gets on my last nerve.  I'm going to figure out ways to ignore it.  Perhaps pack along a newspaper and a folding chair...

If you don't already have one, develope yourself a pre-shot routine. If you aleady have one, maybe consider changing it to something more effective against the slow play.  Just a thought. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Goal 1: To improve the influence of my short game by 4 strokes. GameGolf has my short game as a 4.5 detriment to my game.
Approach: I plan on improving this by working with Erik on my short game and spending a good amount of time on this glaring weakness. The issue is a combination of consistency in technique and developing feel for distance control from different lies. 

Goal 2: To lower my strokes lost in approach shots from 1.7 to sub 1.0 on GameGolf.
Approach: To do this I need to keep working on my swing. The primary issue is swinging too inward. The cause is my right shoulder flying out towards the ball in transition. I plan to keep working on how my shoulders work in the downswing. This is in combination with developing a good feel for swinging outwardly. I will continue to work on shortening my backswing as well for overall consistency in what ever I work on. 

Goal 3: To improve the consistency in my putting. 
Approach: I'll continue to work on my backstroke, which goes too inward in the backstroke. 

Goal 4: To participate in the US Mid Am, and the Ohio Open. 
Approach: Improve in the goals I set up above

Goal 5: To qualify for the Newport Cup next Fall. 
Approach: Improve in the goals I set above. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have been playing golf 30 years. 2016 was the first year I wrote my goals and i achieved all but 1.

My 2016 index ended at +0.4 and my tournament index ended at 2.4 

My goals for 2017 will go hand in hand with each other, meaning by achieving 1 I should achieve multiples. The tournament goals I have will be contingent on when they fall and whether I am off work. I already know I am off for the US Mid Am. 

1. Shoot 0 rounds above 79. In 2016 I posted 1 round above 79 an 83 in my first tournament of the year. 

2. Win at least 1 of my club's 3 scratch events. In 2016 I had a top 5 and two top 10's

3. My state has an Amateur, a Mid Am,  and an Open. This will be  sub goal depending on which if any I will be off work for. 

3a. Qualify for the State Am and and be exempt from qualifying in 2018 by finishing in the top 15.

3b. Make it to quarter finals of the state Mid Am. In 2016 I was eliminated in the first round. 

3c. Finish in the top 30 of the State Open and be exempt from qualifying in 2018.

4. Get my tournament index below 1.0

5. Qualify for the 2017 US Mid Am. 

6. Shoot 29 for 9 holes. 

I plan on doing what got me here. Practice, playing and playing in tournaments.

Right now, just play more...

Having a 1 year old and a new job really cut into my playing time... I'd like to be able to get out twice a month; if I can do that, I'd be thrilled.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

2017 goal

Smooth out my swing (dont try to kill everything)
consistent short game
Consistently shoot in the mid-80's
Extra-Break 80!

I am going to start swinging in my garage earlier, I am going to work on swinging & letting the club do the work, not let my belly and back!
I am going to work on making good, solid contact and not crushing the ball.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

My goals are to:

1) Drop to a 8 handicap (currently a 13.9) 

2) Straighten out my drive, I have plenty of distance just a little sporadic

3) Lag putt better, leave myself more 3 footers instead of knee knockers

I plan on completing number 1 by doing something golf related at least 15 min every day, whether that's playing or practicing. Number 2 will be to hit my driver on the range and practice an inside out swing to eliminate coming over the ball. Lastly 3 will be accomplished solely with time on the practice green. 

For me it all boils down to consistency! Late in the season this year, (yeah I know, I know!), allowed me some flashes of really solid play. Even broke 80 a few times. Then would come the round from Hell, where I couldn't hit the ball out of my own shadow! 

I think I may have gone to the range once this past year, and I used to be a real Range Rat! Most of my practice was in the back yard just swinging a club with no ball. I don't know why I've become so "range averse". I guess when I have the chance to get out, I'd rather go play. But if I'm honest with myself, I have to admit that it was my Range Rat days that really allowed me to hone my swing.

Also on the agenda for 2017 is playing more "better" courses. Some of the local goat ranches are fine in a pinch, but they really don't challenge much. Been searching the net, and found what looks like a screaming deal for Little Mountain CC. However, the website was a little short on detail, so I'll call them tomorrow to clarify.

Anyway, wishing everyone luck in 2017!

Note: This thread is 2327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!