IGNORED

Do you look after your equipment?

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1-2 full cleanings per year, and I'm not that meticulous other than that.  Just wipe a club down if it has noticeable dirt in the grooves.  Some dirt in the grooves just makes the ball fly straighter right? :).  At least that's what I tell myself.

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Clean clubs when playing, usually after every shot, if needed, and after each range session, I use a wet towel, but most of the time this little awesome tool...

Groove Tube Golf Club Cleaner Clips to Bag Black NEW

Gus
---------------

If my club/grooves are obviously dirty, I scrape it clean before I use it then it's back in the bag.

Shoes, clubs, bag, cart... they all proudly display how much I use them. 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I do a quick wipe down of my clubs with a towel after ever shot. Once I'm home they get they nylon brush and soapy water. I even clean the balls I used that day. It doesn't take long and I enjoy doing it.

I take care of my things. 

• Upvote 1

A quick wipe after each shot. A dip in a bucket of water and brush the grooves after each round. Go through bag, clean out junk, scuffed balls/ found balls. Reload for next round

I clean my clubs irregularly.  If I'm playing I'll wipe a dirty clubface before I hit.  Every once in a while at home I'll look at my clubs and think - man, these need to be cleaned.  I never clean balls other than with the tee-side washers.  I don't have golf-specific shoes or clothes, etc.  It tends not to be muddy here.  I've yet to clean my 4 year old push cart.

But at the same time I do think my gear looks reasonable.  It's not like there's dirt and mud clinging to everything.  A quick bag check reveals only my 7iron is in need of wiping at this moment.

I am not a fanatic but give all my clubs a good cleaning prior to the season and get those that need it re-gripped.  At the club I play the golf clubs are wiped down by an attendant after each round, and the practice range I normally use has a bucket of soapy water with a good scrub brush that I will use for clubs that got muddied up (the range is real turf).  During play I will wipe a club with a wet rag if it is noticeably messy.  I also clean out my bag at the end of the season, mostly to find my missing sweaters and jackets and toss out the bits of junk that accumulate.   

I wipe them down as I play. Also, I have a wire brush attached to the bag that I use if needed.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• iacas changed the title to Do you look after your equipment?
On 12/19/2016 at 8:57 AM, cutchemist42 said:

So whats the best way to clean groves?

Depends in part on turf and moisture. For dry days on zoysia, my iron shots mainly cut the grass out of an inch-long divot that can't be replaced. On those days, it's a damp towel wipe and things are clean.

On wet zoysia days, it takes a bit more cleaning - sometimes with the little washer unit on the cart.

If it's softer bermuda, divots tend to go deeper and get clubs get more stuff in the grooves. A related problem: a clump of dirt can get into the area behind the clubhead cavity.

Main thing I worry about: Sand bits in the grooves which could harm both grooves and ball on impact.

If it's a slower day at the course, after 18 I just pull around to near the cart shed and use the washer unit to clean up my clubs. Sometimes the cart crew puts out a washer assembly behind the practice range tee.

I'll do the bucket thing at home about every other round - a split bucket with a suds side and a rinse side, and an old tooth brush. Grips should get washed about every 8 rounds (sometimes I forget).

I also vacuum off my bag during summer to get the dust out.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I clean my clubs really well (warm water and dawn with a microfiber cloth) once a month. I use my scrub brush on my wedges before every shot and my longer irons at the beginning of a round or if they are really dirty before the shot. I feel like the grooves don't matter as much on the longer irons as on the wedges 

I wipe every club down after every shot. No club goes back in the bag unless it's been wiped down. Several times a year I'll scrub the entire set with Dawn, hot water, scrub brush, and sponge. Amazing how much "residual dirt" comes off the clubs at this time. Do my shoes the same way, then hit with saddle soap and polish. Have to keep that leather in condition or it will crack!

Wish I could mink oil out there. Nothing like it to keep leather in proper condition, but since the demise of the fur trade it's been in short supply!

My rule of thumb is clean the clubs completely after every round.  I wash the head and grip with an old toothbrush and soap.  Should use warm water but mostly wind up with cold.  Then let it dry out naturally.

Not sure I need to do this for my grips but it is really useful for my heads.  Has kept them alive and generally rust free for much longer than I would have thought possible.

During the round my caddie generally cleans the clubs but that is just a side effect of having a towel in the bag along with living in countries where labour charges for a caddie are not too high.  Even if it doesn't happen I don't break my head because the clubs will be washed at the end of the round, though I will occasionally use a tee to clean out dirt embedded in the grooves if it looks excessive when I am playing

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Join the club. Knowing that some people can play a round and leave their clubs caked with grass and dirt drives me insane. After each round I soak them, take a toothbrush and detergent, scrub scrub scrub, and take an air hose to remove water from the groves and cavity. Seeing a clean and shining set makes me want to just play again.

I'm not as much of a stickler for the golf ball hygiene like you are. I rarely keep a ball long enough for it to show some real wear and tear from grass or dirt. 

Clean my clubs after every round , and just to make my wife even happier I do it in the kitchen sink . All club except wedges have covers as I don't like scratches . Then I dry them with a towel , again making my wife very happy. Shoes , clothing , bag ,trolley all perfectly cleaned. Golf balls all marked and I keep in the boxes , 3 , 6 , 9. Even my bag towel is washed after every round.

i have to look perfect on the course, maybe it's because I was poor when I was a kid but I have t look immaculate.

peace.

I clean my clubs after every shot with a towel hanging on my bag the has a brush on it.

After I get home I soak the club heads in a bucket of soapy water. Then I rinse them, blow off excess water with air, then dry with a microfiber towel. I do a similar routine with the bottoms of my shoes.

I do not keep them in the garage. It is not a good environment for them with the temperatures and fumes. I keep them in my home office.

Doug

I'm really bad at cleaning my clubs. I try to clean them after every shot. If they are really dirty after a round I will clean them with some dial soap and my brush. 

10 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

Have any of you used a groove tool to sharpen the grooves?

I would not recommend that. If you change the grooves too much they can become non-comforming. Unless you have old school blades, with really soft metal, you'll probably not wear the grooves out before you replace your cubs. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!