IGNORED

Tiger Woods 2017 Season Predictions

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger's 2017 Season  

107 members have voted

1. 1. How will Tiger fare this season (assuming he remains healthy)?

• Awful. He will miss a lot of cuts. He might not even make it through the whole season.
    • Not great. He'll make a few cuts but nothing more.
    • So-so. He might see the weekend more often than not, but nothing better than perhaps a couple of Top 20s.
    • Not Bad. He makes many cuts, and even contends a little early on in the week but usually fades. No wins, but maybe a couple of Top 10s.
    • Good. He shows flashes of his former self on the weekend often, and he contends several times. Maybe even a couple of Top 5 finishes.
    • Really good. He plays well often, and he breaks through with many top finishes and even a win.
    • Great. He contends more often than not, gets at least a win, and even contends at the majors.
    • Superb. He makes a return to the old Tiger. Wins multiple times, one of them even being a major.

I voted so so. Even though he is one of the greatest ever it is hard to just compete at his age.  I'm new to golf but in the professional sports world how many 40+ year olds have you seen even be competitive? 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm going to go ahead and predict he has 0-1 wins this year, and maybe 1 top ten outside of that. 

He's certainly bulkier than in 2000, but I wouldn't necessarily say he's in better shape. He's backed down his workout routine (to reduce wear on his body), and is more concerned about preserving his body than he ever was in the past. 

For experience, I'd give him only a slight advantage over the field. He's got experience on tour, for sure, but no recent tournament experience (which is what often counts for the most).

In terms of motivation, I would actually say his motivation has decreased. I'm sure he still would like to break Jack's record and all, but from interviews as of late he seems to be much more laid back and focused on his kids than he ever was back when he won every tournament he looked at. He seems to know that he's done quite a bit to solidify his legacy as the man who changed golf, and I think anything now short of some crazy good seasons will be viewed as icing on the cake. 

As for living a lie, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

The competition is the biggest issue. Comparing it to the competition in 2000 is absurd, because Tiger had few legitimate competitors to him at that time. Now just about every man on the field has a chance to win it if he plays well that week, whereas before I'd consider only 5-10 in each field of having a legitimate chance outside of a fluke.

Father time always wins, he can't turn back the clock. Tiger was the best us younger guys ever saw.  I'm into MMA and Rousey was the best woman fighter anyone had ever seen, but the game evolves and the forefathers get left behind. Tiger is unfortunately a figure of the past still holding on, the younger guys have caught up to and surpassed his CURRENT skill level. 0 wins this year if he even makes it thru healthy.

If he's truly healthy and has no further risk of re-injury, then you look at him like Mickelson or Furyk, guys who can cowboy up for the majors and contend in some other tournaments, but also might run into prolonged funks due to their games not being what they were and not having the ability to make those superhuman compensations during their swings like they used to. So I think Tiger could be a factor in some tournaments, but I also could see him hovering at the cut line all year, too. It'll come down to his health and whether he can get back to putting in the incredible amount of work he used to in his prime.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

3 hours ago, False hopes said:

I voted so so. Even though he is one of the greatest ever it is hard to just compete at his age.  I'm new to golf but in the professional sports world how many 40+ year olds have you seen even be competitive? 

Well, what about Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els and Tom Watson? Thats  even without a blink of an eye. I am sure there are a lot more over 40 that could (or still are) compete at the highest level in golf.

I think he'll win again, health permitting, and provided that he also reclaims his (ahem) eye of the tiger mental strength. Since 2013, he's looked vulnerable between the ears as well as in body. The fields are arguably tougher these days and the youngsters don't fear him, but few of them have seen him at his best, physically or mentally. I think once (if) the health questions are gone the mental toughness will return, and that's worth a few strokes a round right there.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Not bad.  I can see him making more cuts than he misses and being in contention a handful of times.  Not sure he will win one this year.  I think that has just as much to do with his health/status as it does the current level of play on tour.  There are a plethora of really, really good youngish players on tour and any one of them could be hot.  Just look at Matsuyama and Thomas right now.  Hard to imagine Tiger winning tournament(s) with guys playing like that...especially in majors.

My hope is that he does win one or two and shows that he is 1) physically sound and 2) mentally close to the old Tiger.  He has to get over hurdle #1 first before #2 is attainable.  To me, that is what this year is about.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Short and painful. So long as he keeps trying to play like a 20 year old.

In the bag: TaylorMade R5 Duel driver (44", Senior-flex), Namura 19* 3 Hybrid, Stiff, Cougar X-CAT 26* 5 hybrid, Wilson K-28 irons 6-PW, Wilson Harmonized Gap (52) and Sand (55) Wedges, Blade Runner II putter.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, BigBaffy said:

Short and painful. So long as he keeps trying to play like a 20 year old.

What do you mean?

He was well behind DJ and Day yesterday, and didn't seem to really take a huge rip at anything.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sorry, I didn't see him play yesterday, but in general, when I've seen him play he's continued to swing aggressively. I'm waiting for the day when his upper body just separates from his hips on his follow-through.
That said, maybe he's starting to throttle back. Good on him if he does.

Edited by BigBaffy

In the bag: TaylorMade R5 Duel driver (44", Senior-flex), Namura 19* 3 Hybrid, Stiff, Cougar X-CAT 26* 5 hybrid, Wilson K-28 irons 6-PW, Wilson Harmonized Gap (52) and Sand (55) Wedges, Blade Runner II putter.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, BigBaffy said:

Sorry, I didn't see him play yesterday, but in general, when I've seen him play he's continued to swing aggressively. I'm waiting for the day when his upper body just separates from his hips on his follow-through.

I don't think he swung aggressively yesterday or in Bermuda at the HERO.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Now that full schedule is looking not that full after all if he's not making cuts. :-O I guess he anticipated it. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I have no idea how he'll fare this year. His swing looks kind of forced to me. I think he really needs to at least make cuts just to get a bunch of tournament reps under his belt. If he can't make cuts, and then at least get on the fringe of contending, I wonder if he'll stick with it.

I guess I am one of the three goons that thinks he won't even make it through the year.  I am a huge Tiger fan but if history says anything I just don't know how he stays healthy.  I also have a pretty tainted view of bad injuries at this point.  I know, my doctors are not his doctors, but still.  I hope I am very wrong on this one.  

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

7 hours ago, BigBaffy said:

That said, maybe he's starting to throttle back. Good on him if he does.

I think I saw his first round (tee or driver not sure which) club speed around 114 mph. He used to be a 120 mph guy. If that reported number included three woods, though I'm not sure if it says much. But he looked a bit slower than in the past, so I'd expect it reflected driver.

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Now that full schedule is looking not that full after all if he's not making cuts. :-O I guess he anticipated it. 

He didn't look too crestfallen / surprised about his performance so it's quite likely you're right. I think the courses ended up being a lot tougher than usual due to the rain (playing long). Heck Daniel Berger and Jimmy Walker shot the same for two rounds. I expected he'd come back somewhere around the cut line for his first couple of events.

Kevin

1 hour ago, natureboy said:

I think I saw his first round (tee or driver not sure which) club speed around 114 mph. He used to be a 120 mph guy. If that reported number included three woods, though I'm not sure if it says much. But he looked a bit slower than in the past, so I'd expect it reflected driver.

He didn't look too crestfallen / surprised about his performance so it's quite likely you're right. I think the courses ended up being a lot tougher than usual due to the rain (playing long). Heck Daniel Berger and Jimmy Walker shot the same for two rounds. I expected he'd come back somewhere around the cut line for his first couple of events.

Yeah, and DJ and JD and Rickie all missed the cut as well.

I'm always hopeful .. I'm a big Tiger fan.  However . . .when I watched him hit those 100 yard exhibition shots last year at Congressional . .I thought - he's done.  I know those are only 3 shots on one day but, to me, they were extremely telling.  Tiger of 2000 just doesn't hit 3 balls in a row in the water from 100 yards . .and he certainly doesn't go out there joking around about his bad back and hit 3 in the water.  If this were 2000 and Tiger were in that shape - he wouldn't show up.  

Tiger not only had amazing mechanics - he also had this belief that he could not be beaten.  At this level - where everybody's got fantastic mechanics . .especially today . .an aging Tiger without that killer instinct just has no chance.  I think the injury and, to a lesser extent, the issues in his personal life, have just robbed him of that unbeatable quality he used to have.  Like when Wiley Coyote walks off the cliff . .everything is fine until he looks down and realizes he's going to fall.

I say it's 50/50 if Tiger ever wins again.  I know he *could* . .but I don't know if he will or not.  If he does win, it could just as easily be at a Major as anything . .but I do not think he'll dominate, win multiple majors or ever break Jack's record.  

And then there's the back injury . . .we don't really know what injuries he's had or what surgeries he's had (I don't think . .do we?) . . .but for all I know he's doomed with injury.  I strongly believe he's one more back injury away from being done forever because of back injuries.      

Note: This thread is 2570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!