IGNORED

Tiger Woods 2017 Season Predictions

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger's 2017 Season  

107 members have voted

1. 1. How will Tiger fare this season (assuming he remains healthy)?

• Awful. He will miss a lot of cuts. He might not even make it through the whole season.
    • Not great. He'll make a few cuts but nothing more.
    • So-so. He might see the weekend more often than not, but nothing better than perhaps a couple of Top 20s.
    • Not Bad. He makes many cuts, and even contends a little early on in the week but usually fades. No wins, but maybe a couple of Top 10s.
    • Good. He shows flashes of his former self on the weekend often, and he contends several times. Maybe even a couple of Top 5 finishes.
    • Really good. He plays well often, and he breaks through with many top finishes and even a win.
    • Great. He contends more often than not, gets at least a win, and even contends at the majors.
    • Superb. He makes a return to the old Tiger. Wins multiple times, one of them even being a major.

Since it appears (knock on wood) that Tiger Woods will be starting his first season in many years with a clean bill of health, I thought it might be fun for us to predict how we think he might do.  Go ahead and make your pick in the poll and then elaborate on your answers in the thread if you so desire.

To me, as somebody who wants to see him do well, anything from "Not bad" on up will be a good thing.  For the sake of fun, though, I'll predict "Really good."  He starts the year decent, builds his confidence, and breaks back into the win column before years end. :beer:

What say you all?

• Upvote 4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He'll win the Grand Slam and the Evian to break Jack's record ;-)

I voted Great. If he stays healthy, I think he'll win once or twice. I don't think he's lost his game; it just depends if his body holds up. 

• Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I voted Good. It depends 100% on his health, so while there's a chance he plays really well and wins, there's also a chance he plays twice and misses both cuts. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

It's been a roller coaster with him.  The few times he has playing over the last couple years, he has had moments of playing very well and then badly.  If his health holds, it'll give him some consistency overall and I think we'll see a top-5, and several top 20's or so. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I clicked "good".  I'm guessing this could be his last real chance, and if he doesn't show some significant success in the first few months, I wonder if he might pack it in.  I don't think he has to win, necessarily, but I think he needs to get himself into contention and stay there a time or two.  I'm betting that he achieves that much, at least.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator

This all assumes he stays healthy all year.

I voted Really Good. I think he'll get a tournament win. He may have to wait until what is technically the 2018 season (late 2017) to get it, but I think he'll win.

How weird would it be/will it be to see Tiger playing in events opposite the WGCs? :-P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted Really Good. If his game is halfway decent by the time he gets to Firestone he'll have a good shot at a course he's dominated in the past. 

I am hoping he has a good year. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I gave my conditional prediction, conditional on his back holding.  But if his back holds, given what we saw him do last month, I think he's got a chance not to go quite Tiger of old, but to be one of the guys in the mix at the big tourneys again by the end of the year, and would not be surprised by a win.

But given how dicey his back has been, I'd take an even bet against his back holding all year, so I probably should have voted bad or not bad, since I think he's most likely to look like he has a chance to get in gear and compete with the best again, then hurt his back and accomplish nothing.

• Upvote 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator

Question changed to add "(assuming he remains healthy)" with @Golfingdad's permission.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would love to see him competitive again with some chances to win and perhaps even win one, but I really just hope he can play the whole year with no physical problems. If he plays well that is just icing on the cake. 

I'm just glad to see him back playing and hope him the best.
Tiger is and always will be great for the game.
My vote was "Not Bad"
I think he still needs playing time, especially into the weekends before I would have him on my fantasy team...

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I chose "Good". I think he'll mis some cuts early on but then will be in contention on Sunday by mid to late season. I wouldn't be blown away if he won, but it will be tough.

Jon

I voted not great. I just can't picture it playing out well for him given all that's happened. He's obviously great for the game so I hope I'm wrong. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

My prediction? The sports media (and the Sandtrap) loses its collective mind and wets its pants in uncontrolled excitement over Tiger's US Masters 2017 top 5 finish, as Hideki Matsuyama quietly and innocuously dons a green jacket...and some anonymous geezer we've long since forgotten about called Danny helps Hideki get his arms in the sleeves.

Edited by ScouseJohnny

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

My prediction? The sports media (and the Sandtrap) loses its collective mind and wets its pants in uncontrolled excitement over Tiger's US Masters 2017 top 5 finish, as Hideki Matsuyama quietly and innocuously dons a green jacket.

There's a poll. That's not an option but I am sure you can find something close enough. :-D

I'd like to see hime play well again, but based on past history,  I am leaning towards not finishing the year out. Then again I don't know what his year will consist of. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!