IGNORED

2017 Masters Tournament

iacas
Note: This thread is 2514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

@MuniGrit distance aside what's your point?

Spieth plays Augusta National pretty well.

Did you not read my posts? My original point was distance is overrated for how well you play the par 5 at augusta.Not just the par 5 even, Augusta itself can be won by all sorts of styles of players. I said right above, the par 5s can be had by all types of players which shows what a great track it is. I said earlier in the thread I bet on Speith only to hear how DJ is going to dominate because of how far he hits it. 

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

Did you not read my posts?

Yes. I asked so that you could remind everyone. We may have forgotten in the time we spent discrediting your "short knocker" claims.

13 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

My original point was distance is overrated for how well you play the par 5 at augusta.Not just the par 5 even, Augusta itself can be won by all sorts of styles of players.

It greatly favors the longer hitter, though. Nicklaus was long. Tiger was long. Phil was long. Bubba is long.

Jordan is not short. Zach Johnson is short but he won it in a very weird weather year. Mike Weir, too.

Long isn't a requirement, but it helps… a lot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The driving distance stat has Speith within a yard of Phil which we know that isn't the case. How many 3 woods or shit drIves did Phil hit on those holes. Other than Bubba, who has won there with a mediocre to below average short game? Adam Scott comes to mind and I'm sure there are others. 

Driver will determine your ceiling, putter and short game will determine how low you go. DJ will be in the mix but I don't think he can do 4 great short game rounds there without a 75.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

My sleeper selection is Justin Thomas. I just dig his swing and think he's certainly got the game to win at The Masters this year.

• Upvote 1

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

The driving distance stat has Speith within a yard of Phil which we know that isn't the case. How many 3 woods or shit drIves did Phil hit on those holes.

Not that many. That stat's from holes where most players hit driver. Phil is getting old.

34 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

Driver will determine your ceiling, putter and short game will determine how low you go. DJ will be in the mix but I don't think he can do 4 great short game rounds there without a 75.

He's T6 and T4 the last two years there. In 2015 he shot 70, 67, 73, 69. In 2016, he shot 73, 71, 72, 71.

Just sayin'.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, MuniGrit said:

Other than Bubba, who has won there with a mediocre to below average short game? Adam Scott comes to mind and I'm sure there are others. 

Nicklaus did pretty well there with a mediocre short game.  He was a great putter, but his wedge play and sand shots were not on the same level as the rest of his game.

• Upvote 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I'm pretty excited about this year's Masters..well...I always am...but such a deep field. So many on the radar....Rahm, Hatton, Leishman playing well, DJ...then Spieth's story...will Bubba play well? Will a nobody arise? An older player do well? I think it's gonna be a great tournament!

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I'm pretty excited about this year's Masters..well...I always am...but such a deep field. So many on the radar....Rahm, Hatton, Leishman playing well, DJ...then Spieth's story...will Bubba play well? Will a nobody arise? An older player do well? I think it's gonna be a great tournament!

A nobody always arises for 2 rounds but falls off. Im rooting for dj. He just needs his putter to be favorable and he'll do all right. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Jordan and DJ are the two guys I'm pulling for.  I have a bit of a sentimental eye on Jason Day if he plays, which isn't a given with his mother's condition.

I'm curious to see how Rahm plays as well.  He is hitting the ball really well (and long) this year.  I thought he might cool off after his hot start to the year but his play at the Dell Match Play squashed that idea.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I think Rahm will be in final pairing. I'm not a Spieth fan, but like the rest of the golfing world, I think he'll finish top 3. As always, I root for Bubba & Zach Johnson.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Does anyone know if all invites to the Tournament get to practice early, IF THEY WISH ? In other words, could Thomas, and Speith be there this week playing it several times. Curious if there are rules involved...

2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

As always, I root for Bubba & Zach Johnson.

I have to ask, as that is an unusual pairing - why them?

Players play, tough players win!

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I have to ask, as that is an unusual pairing - why them?

They definitely seem to be opposite in the game. Bubba's phobia of the public aside, they both seem like really good guys and I like the fact they are both outspoken about their faith.

Bubba genuinely seems to be a big kid doing his video's with Ricky, the hovercraft, and the jet pack. He cracks me up. I can see myself hanging out with him. My draw to them is not driven by golf, but rather persona.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I'm pulling for Rahm and DJ. They're my favorite at the time. DJ just awesome to watch and Rahm producing with less hype than the silly Dechambeau was given. Interesting about Bubba...seems most off course behavior/comments would place him in the 'jerk bucket' for me. And the faith aspect is the most unfavorable feature for me. To each his own. Regarding Spieth, I like what Colin Cowherd said a couple years back...and I paraphrase: " I'm rooting for DJ...this guy is out late partying, smoke show gf, big athletic guy .....Spieth is in bed at 9:00 in his Ritz hotel bed..."  Like phillyk said...we'll probably see some no-names at the top after Thursday...but this year ....I'm thinking one of the big names is gonna go low from the get go.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, GolfLug said:

So I guess DJ is officially the betting favorite now at 5:1 to JS' 7:1. Putts are falling..

At 5:1, I may put some money on him....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 3/13/2017 at 4:49 PM, Golfingdad said:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/ap-masters-limiting-2017-par-3-contest-honorary-invitees-lose-playing-practice-privileges?mbid=social_facebook

I'm sure many will not like this move, but I don't really care much.  If you forced me to have an opinion, then I suppose I'd say I like the decision.

On 3/13/2017 at 6:37 PM, 1badbadger said:

So...do the honorary invitees just get an invitation to the tournament as spectators?  It doesn't affect me, but like some others have mentioned, I would rather see former major winners play in the Par-3 than a bunch of kids running amok as caddies.  

My swing coach is a former U.S. Amateur champion, so I might give him a call and see if he has some insight on this.  I know he goes every year, but I don't think he plays the Par-3 anymore.

I talked to my friend who won the U.S. Amateur and asked him what the deal was, and I learned that only U.S. Am winners who maintained their amateur status were eligible to play in the Par-3 tournament and practice rounds.  He turned pro after he played in the Masters the 2nd time (he got to play the year before as well because he was the runner-up in the Am) so he wasn't part of this group.

SamRandolph-thumb.jpg.17c47f9ab68c7f8b2e90b3bdae257f94.jpg

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

On 3/1/2017 at 0:05 PM, Golfingdad said:

Just this last year they were trying to buy a bunch of land from the neighboring golf course so they can push back the 13th tee.  http://www.golfdigest.com/story/report-augusta-national-close-to-deal-to-lengthen-iconic-13th-hole

I guess they are far from having a deal in place to make this happen:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-masters-special-report-the-club-next-door-augusta-country-club?mbid=social_facebook

Note: This thread is 2514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!