IGNORED

Oh crap - I have a "nickname" at my club!

jkelley9
Note: This thread is 2554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

"Speed golf guy"

Not kidding. I was walking a round with a junior (12 yo) golfer on Sunday (which was actually a lot of fun, and he shot a freaking 77!) and he was pretty much unfiltered. I had a grand time of it though, he was so excited. 

But on hole number one that's severely downhill I let my cart go and I do a little jog behind it. He says to me:

Him: "OH YOU'RE SPEED GOLF GUY!" 

Me: "... I'm who now?"

Him: "I see you walking a lot and you like to run between shots" 

Him: "The guys in the clubhouse call you 'speed golf guy'"

I almost lost it. I seriously laughed out loud, thought it was hilarious. I explained to him that even when the course is empty I'll sometimes run between shots for exercise. Apparently people on other holes see me do this and think I'm nuts LOL.

Apparently he hangs out in the clubhouse a lot because his dad will drop him off and he just plays golf and hangs out (he's a member there). It tickled me that he told me he's heard multiple people call me speed golf guy haha. I even asked you "are you sure it's me? I mean... I run between shots often but not like... ALL the time?" and he said "yea, you're the only one with a yellow and black cart." So I'm like :surrender:

Do any of you guys have a nickname at your club, in your weekend/league group, or the like?

• Upvote 2

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not that can be repeated on a family friendly forum....

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

54 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

Do any of you guys have a nickname at your club, in your weekend/league group, or the like?

A couple of guys I regularly play with gave me the nickname "cheese" a few years ago and that's what they still call me.  It was almost exactly 4 years ago (or 3 or 5, point is, it was this time of year), we were trying to schedule a round of golf and I kept being unavailable because my son and his friends were having birthday party's on 3 or 4 consecutive Saturdays (his birthday is this Sunday) and that year, every single one of them was at Chuck E. Cheese.

I don't care about the name one way or another, but I do somewhat embrace it ... one of my regular ball markers is a CEC game token. :beer:

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

one of my regular ball markers is a CEC game token.

Nice touch. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• Administrator

@Golfingdad, your nickname is Barney. :-)

• Upvote 4

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On my normal group I play with, everyone has nicknames.  Even our golfing group has a nickname. We are called the BOFA's.  You can imagine that that stands for.

So since I work for the local water utility, my nickname started out as Waterman, but that lasted maybe a couple of days and the guy who ran the group at the time said Waterman was too long so now H2O is my nickname.

A few of our nicknames are pretty funny.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

My nickname is 'u boat'

That one took precedence over my bud who calls me the nestler for not making a lot of first putts but leaving easy taps.

My nickname goal is FIGJAM 

Edited by Jack Watson

Some guys I know played with a guy that jogged/ran to his ball every hole. The consensus was that the guy was odd. I had to agree. @jkelley9 you may also have a label too.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

One of the guys I play with, not in my normal group, I call him the Golf Whisperer.  He always walks, very fast, but every day he plays you don't know what clubs he is playing.  He always has the same driver, 3 wood and hybrid, but he either has all odd irons or all even irons on any given day. Never mixed.

I asked him once how he deicdes which ones to play, and he says it depends on which clubs are talking to him on that day.  Hence Golf Whisperer.

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

14 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Do tell....Purple shirt?

Sweater!  :-)

In David's bag....

It's much better than the guy at one course I worked for who was called "Bagger" by literally everyone. I honestly don't even remember his real name, and he was my boss.

1 minute ago, Pretzel said:

It's much better than the guy at one course I worked for who was called "Bagger" by literally everyone. I honestly don't even remember his real name, and he was my boss.

Bet I know....  ;-)

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

6 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Do tell....Purple shirt?

The purplest. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

One of the regulars in my group got real ticked off after a bad 3-putt and went to fire his ball into the woods after holing out.  Well...the ball barely made it to the rough, nevermind reaching the trees, so he is forever known as "Rocket" now.

• Upvote 1

- Bill

Note: This thread is 2554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!