IGNORED

dress code

kiwi g
Note: This thread is 2475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

do you think golf needs to relax its dress code  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think golf needs to relax its dress code?

• yes
    • no

I play golf in jeans all the time. In Vermont. Until I switch to shorts. Wouldn't do it down south though. I have a nice pair of golf pants for when I get invited to a private club, and they probably are more comfortable than the jeans, in some abstract way, and as comfortable as the shorts. I just don't mind the jeans either and feel more comfortable in them. 

If they were banned, I could live with it, but I wouldn't like the social message it was sending. But I don't mind the message about t-shirts, so go figure. 

The only thing that frustrates me is I have plenty of t-shirts that look nicer than that Loudmouth garbage.

But, honestly, whatever. It's not a big issue to me.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Of course, who the heck wants to play golf in jeans?!?

I don't really like playing in jeans but if it's below 50 degrees I'll wear them.  Better that than sitting at home.

My course's dress code is "nothing offensive and keep your shirt on."  The latter gets ignored sometimes (not by me.)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I don't own a pair of jeans. I never thought they were comfortable and they are hot when working. My getting dirty/work pants are all wrangler cargo pants of differing shades of khaki. I play golf in izod pants if the weather is cool and if it's too cold I'll add a pair of thermals underneath. Warm weather is izod shorts or wrangler tech shorts that look just like the izods for a third the price.

I don't agree with the cargo short/pant ban but I also don't want to see people in tank tops and cut offs.

I honestly feel odd if I play in jeans or a non-collared shirt.  Can I hit balls at a range like that, sure.  But playing, I just can't do it.  Even when I take my younger boys with me I make them put on collared shirts...they always give me the funniest look and ask "Why?"  My answer?  "Because that's what golfers wear."

Our club has a collared shirt and no-denim policy.  The public courses do not.  With similar rates you attract different clientele which is the point of the policy (if you ask me.)  I'm A-OK with that.

I'll ask a different question...If you had the option of playing two different courses, both very similar in conditions, would you pay an extra $3-5 for one that had a dress code over one that did not?

I would.  Call me a snob.

• Upvote 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

1 minute ago, NCGolfer said:

I'll ask a different question...If you had the option of playing two different courses, both very similar in conditions, would you pay an extra $3-5 for one that had a dress code over one that did not?

In this instance, either course would work for me.   I'd play both.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

8 hours ago, Pretzel said:

People who enjoy comfort and don't live where it's too hot or humid. 

I probably wear jeans 320 days out of the year or so, with many of those days being golf days.

On target! When I caddied years ago in St. Louis, jeans were just too hot on course from May to September.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

1 minute ago, dennyjones said:

In this instance, either course would work for me.   I'd play both.  

Pick one.  That's the point of the question...I'm curious to hear the responses.

It's the marketing side of me.  :-D

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

1 minute ago, NCGolfer said:

Pick one.  That's the point of the question...I'm curious to hear the responses.

It's the marketing side of me.  :-D

I'd pay the extra $3-$5. 

I voted "no" to the question. Then again, except for a few higher end courses, I have not seen any type of dress code being enforced. This, even though there is usually a sign saying the course has a dress code. 

I see alot of tee shirts, and cut off shorts being worn. Bluejeans are quite common. Myself, I wear cargo shorts, and a collared polo shirt. It's not uncommon to see golfers wearing flip flops for their feet. 

I think with a lot of courses, getting their green fees is more important than how the golfer is dressed. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

20 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

If you had the option of playing two different courses, both very similar in conditions, would you pay an extra $3-5 for one that had a dress code over one that did not?

Snob.  

(I'd pay the extra as well)

5 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

I honestly feel odd if I play in jeans or a non-collared shirt.  Can I hit balls at a range like that, sure.  But playing, I just can't do it.  Even when I take my younger boys with me I make them put on collared shirts...they always give me the funniest look and ask "Why?"  My answer?  "Because that's what golfers wear."

Our club has a collared shirt and no-denim policy.  The public courses do not.  With similar rates you attract different clientele which is the point of the policy (if you ask me.)  I'm A-OK with that.

You are such a snob! .JK.. ha ha.

I think dress code as more of a golf uniform. Gosh, with the array of colors and styles I wear golf shirts to work half the time.  

So yeah, I would pay $5 extra. I feel dress code is part of larger makeup of golf. It may be only a perception and even if not rooted in reality (plenty of douchebags who dress traditionally and vice versa) but I kinda like that little extra bit of stuffiness. Little reverence, little respect goes a long way (yes, I relate that to dress code). I would feel self conscious and even odd wearing denim (I own and wear plenty socially) to a golf course.

I dunno is it because I am in the 40+ crowd?

Vishal S.

5 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I dunno is it because I am in the 40+ crowd?

Is there such a group?   (jk)

15 hours ago, WUTiger said:

So, golfdom has ended up pursuing two conflicting objectives:

1. Be accommodating and attract more people to the game.
  2. Keep out the rifraff who will scare current players away from the game.

I think the dress code comes as a prevent-defense move against those in society who have terrible manners.

+1, the exact same dilemma sailing faces. Boomers and older cling to the "yacht" club culture and vigorously bemoan any attempt to change anything! While almost everyone under the age of 50 are staying away in droves. And most of the relatively few who are still boating have laughably limited boathandling skills and use their boats as floating condos and/or an excuse to drink non-stop from Fri evening though midday Sunday.

If it helps this crowd, boating has/is declining more rapidly than golf...

Edited by Midpack

In all this talk of dress code, t-shirts, and cargo shorts, why has no one mentioned the even bigger scourge of the Basketball Shorts that come down to the middle of a person's shin.  God I hate those things.

13 minutes ago, Midpack said:

If it helps this crowd, boating has/is declining more rapidly than golf..

Well shit, if people think golf is expensive, what about boating!?  My step-dad was a boater and from my perspective it was mostly an exercise in fixing expensive problems:

BOAT:  Bring Over Another Thousand

boat: A hole in the water down which money flows.

11 minutes ago, krupa said:

In all this talk of dress code, t-shirts, and cargo shorts, why has no one mentioned the even bigger scourge of the Basketball Shorts that come down to the middle of a person's shin.  God I hate those things.

I can live with shorts, I just hope shirtless is never accepted. Fortunately I don't see that one tested often, but some mostly on public courses...

2 minutes ago, Midpack said:

I can live with shorts, I just hope shirtless is never accepted. Fortunately I don't see that one tested often, but some mostly on public courses...

Even in my neck of the woods, I've never seen shirtless. What I have seen is tank tops and basketball jerseys. But, yes, we're talking about Dayton, OH munis here.

Note: This thread is 2475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!