IGNORED

Is "Out of Order" Etiquette a Big Deal?

stpinmass
Note: This thread is 2490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So a quick question. I was out with a foursome today, and we were definitely not playing "ready golf". Two members made remarks when others went out of turn, albeit "busting chops". I personally waited for each golfer in order, as I find it's rather disrespectful unless you are actually playing ready golf. So on the 7th hole, I hit a couple of errant shots causing me not to reach the green until my 5th shot. Upon reaching the green, the other three golfers were putting to hole out. Is it just me? But if you're going to complain when someone else goes out of order.. is it really kosher to be holing out before the last player even reaches the green?

Edited by stpinmass

No, playing out of order is generally not a big deal. In fact, it's my opinion that ready golf should be the default mode of play (outside of tournament golf, perhaps). However, most of the time, the group should somewhat stick together in terms of the section of the hole being played so you don't have some players jumping way ahead of the rest of the group.

Unless your group was really falling behind the pace of play it probably wasn't appropriate for the rest to be putting out before you even got there. One exception to this is when everyone is on except one player, and that one player blades it over the green or something. Now the player has to get all the way to his or her ball, so the rest of the group might as well start putting. 

https://thesandtrap.com/tags/ready golf/

Welcome to TST! Here are some other threads that have touched upon "ready golf."

From my experience (nearly all casual rounds at munis), just about everybody plays some form of ready golf. Typically someone will say something on the first tee- or maybe at the first situation where it becomes obvious that playing out of order makes sense.

With that said, every round is different and once in a blue moon, I've come across folks who get annoyed if someone oversteps some ready golf boundary that wasn't obvious. And sometimes you might come across a hypocrite like you did- where nobody else can do it but them. That's people sometimes. I wouldn't sweat it- it says more about them than you.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yesterday in tournament play our other twosome kept driving and parking in front of our cart and hitting before we did basically because they wanted to play fast. Granted these were older guys out in the heat but if you dont want to play in heat id suggest you stay home. The guys putting out I would say is ok if one of the guys had trouble and is a ways away. 

I, personally, see no reason why they should have waited for you to return from your expedition off the beaten path (we've all been there - myself included) to continue playing the hole. All that does is it slows down play for both your group and everyone behind you.

If a group is being hypocritical about it you are under no obligation to follow "proper" etiquette and just hit your ball when you're ready.

I am of the opinion that the only form of order-based etiquette that has any place on the golf course is if someone insists on using the "honors" system for who tees off first. The proper way to play is ready golf, and playing differently only leads to long 5+ hour rounds.

• Upvote 2

It's a big deal if a group does not play ready golf...

• Upvote 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

There are times to play it, and times not to. I would never consider parking in front of another group, as per Aflighter's post, just so I could hit first, But, if you're on opposite sides of the fairway, or a longer hitter has a clean shot while the shorter hitter is still looking for their ball in the rough, go right ahead. Keep play moving. Also, consecutive putting is a good idea unless you have to stand in someone's line.

8 hours ago, stpinmass said:

.. is it really kosher to be holing out before the last player even reaches the green?

So think about this. They get impatient and finish the green. Then what? Do they tee off on the next hole before you get there too? 

Also what if you need to chip on to the green?  You can't because they are in your way making the whole delay longer. 

There is a logic to waiting for all to get onto the green.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

11 hours ago, stpinmass said:

So a quick question. I was out with a foursome today, and we were definitely not playing "ready golf". Two members made remarks when others went out of turn, albeit "busting chops". I personally waited for each golfer in order, as I find it's rather disrespectful unless you are actually playing ready golf. So on the 7th hole, I hit a couple of errant shots causing me not to reach the green until my 5th shot. Upon reaching the green, the other three golfers were putting to hole out. Is it just me? But if you're going to complain when someone else goes out of order.. is it really kosher to be holing out before the last player even reaches the green?

Yes and no. I don't really care who bats off first because at the end of the round it makes no difference. I don't really care who putts first either. However, there are things that annoy me, like people wearing jeans, and golfers who won't let others play through. Last week I played another course and witnessed the worst piece of etiquette in the world. There is a small cafe on the 12th where some golfers stop for a coffee etc. The 4 ball which were about two holes in front of us had stopped for a break, and as soon as we got to the 12th hole they all stood up and went to the tee. It would have been so easy for them to remain in their seats for 5 minutes whilst my friend and I teed off. Instead we had to wait for 15 minutes for them to get out of reach. They were all women, and in my experience it's women who have the worst etiquette.  

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

5 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

So think about this. They get impatient and finish the green. Then what? Do they tee off on the next hole before you get there too? 

Also what if you need to chip on to the green?  You can't because they are in your way making the whole delay longer. 

There is a logic to waiting for all to get onto the green.

It's faster if they all hole out while you are on an adventure, assuming they're not preventing you from getting on the green. It's not like they can't just mark their balls when you're trying to hit on.

The last thing I want is three people standing around waiting for my safari to end instead of continuing their play, because by the time I get on the green, only one person needs to finish instead of four.

2 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

However, there are things that annoy me, like people wearing jeans, and golfers who won't let others play through. Last week I played another course and witnessed the worst piece of etiquette in the world. There is a small cafe on the 12th where some golfers stop for a coffee etc. The 4 ball which were about two holes in front of us had stopped for a break, and as soon as we got to the 12th hole they all stood up and went to the tee. It would have been so easy for them to remain in their seats for 5 minutes whilst my friend and I teed off. Instead we had to wait for 15 minutes for them to get out of reach. They were all women, and in my experience it's women who have the worst etiquette.  

None of that is on topic.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 hours ago, David in FL said:

It's a big deal if a group does not play ready golf...

That's what I was thinking as well. I've never been in a group where we've announced early on that we're not playing read golf (or vice versa). It's just a given that we are. If you're ready to hit, you hit.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Everyone I play with plays ready golf including on the green if someone happens to be hacking it back and forth. The exception being "birdie honors" on the tee 

• Upvote 1

I don't think that was any breach of etiquette.  I've said this before but when playing with people I haven't before I will ask if I can go (out of turn) if I'm ready and they (or others) are not.  That just sends a friendly signal that I like to play ready golf.  I probably would have done the same thing if I were them.

Now, I think the only exception to this is in tournament play.  I normally slow myself down just a touch.  Everyone seems to like to play in their turn during tournament play.  I'm kinda the same way...unless someone is struggling with a drop or a ruling I'll normally wait my turn.  I'm always ready to go when it is though.  :-)

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

1 hour ago, billchao said:

It's faster if they all hole out while you are on an adventure, assuming they're not preventing you from getting on the green. It's not like they can't just mark their balls when you're trying to hit on.

The last thing I want is three people standing around waiting for my safari to end instead of continuing their play, because by the time I get on the green, only one person needs to finish instead of four.

\

I think you're making my case.

It's not faster because 3 guys on the green are likely to interfere with your final shots. So I guess the question is what's faster?

Waiting for the 4th guy to get on the green, then you all putt?

Or delaying that 4th guy a bit more while the 1st 3 putt.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

1 hour ago, billchao said:

4 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

However, there are things that annoy me, like people wearing jeans, and golfers who won't let others play through. Last week I played another course and witnessed the worst piece of etiquette in the world. There is a small cafe on the 12th where some golfers stop for a coffee etc. The 4 ball which were about two holes in front of us had stopped for a break, and as soon as we got to the 12th hole they all stood up and went to the tee. It would have been so easy for them to remain in their seats for 5 minutes whilst my friend and I teed off. Instead we had to wait for 15 minutes for them to get out of reach. They were all women, and in my experience it's women who have the worst etiquette.  

None of that is on topic.

Not to mention sexist and almost certainly incorrect.

1 hour ago, jamo said:

That's what I was thinking as well. I've never been in a group where we've announced early on that we're not playing read golf (or vice versa). It's just a given that we are. If you're ready to hit, you hit.

+1

We always play ready golf, and the only exception to that, like others have mentioned, is birdie honors off the tee.  If nobody birdied, the tee box is wide open.  The only times I don't play ready golf is during tournament rounds because it seems everyone wants to play in turn, and it is expected that it is going to be a longer than normal round, so we play the furthest away game.  The other time is during match play.  Other than those 2 exceptions it is always ready golf.

To answer your question, yes it is kosher. Here is an example: 

In a tournament last Monday playing a 200yd par three a fellow competitor missed the green in some high grass. We searched for 5 minutes then he began the walk back to the tee. The third competitor and I holed out and were done before he even reached the tee. He hit the green with his third and the flag was attended by his marker while he two putted. Had we waited until he got on the green, the time we were putting while he was walking would have been added to the wait of the group behind.

Ready golf - all the time.  Order is silly.  YMMV

I just say it during intros.  Ready golf as much as possible as long as you aren't out in front and being possible hazard. 

Plus, it pretty much defuses the super slow players from affecting the game of others.  You know who you are.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!