IGNORED

What do you think is the biggest determinant of club sales?

Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Things like the Jetspeed hybrid(2013) is selling for like 20 dollars on global golf. Srixon hybrid of 2015 for like 30-40. Trying most clubs made me realize there is a very small difference between clubs.  You think it is how well players do that are playing the clubs?

I think brand recognition and marketing as a great deal to do with it. As does appearance of the club. Since they all perform about the same, might as well choose the one that looks the best :-D

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The prices are the largest determeant of sales. Golf clubs were never cheap. But Taylormade really started a trend of guerrilla marketing and constant changeover that passed higher prices on to consumers. When you buy a club or golf balls, probably a third (or more) of the price of the product is to due to marketing expenses.

Yeah, but the RBZ 2 still has a great demand and is selling really well, opposed to the Jetspeed. I noticed the tour preferred MB irons are selling extremely well, probably due to Dustin Johnson's success and strength

2 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

Yeah, but the RBZ 2 still has a great demand and is selling really well, opposed to the Jetspeed. I noticed the tour preferred MB irons are selling extremely well, probably due to Dustin Johnson's success and strength

Jetspeed wasn't marketed well even when it was new and the entire line was quickly abandoned by Taylormade during a time they were releasing too many clubs too often.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The biggest factor is the persistent hope that there is a magic golf club out there - usually a driver or putter - that will somehow produce better results than everything employed to date.  

• Upvote 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Maybe but IMO purchasing a brand new model fitted driver can give you the same high as playing a bucket list course. It feels reeeally good and wife may be upset but is not going to divorce you over it (generally..:-))).  

42 minutes ago, Piz said:

The biggest factor is the persistent hope that there is a magic golf club out there - usually a driver or putter - that will somehow produce better results than everything employed to date.  

Vishal S.

I have no idea because I don't browse golf clubs often, can't remember the last time I was in a golf specific retail store. I have seen the lurkers in those places that seem fascinated by the shiny new objects. When I was in the market for clubs I read reviews and specs before heading out for a demo. Once I found a head that worked the real work was finding the right shaft.

At this point I'm not splitting hairs when I have a club that needs replaced due to wear I buy the exact same thing or something very similar and chase down the shaft or pull my old one. Before anything I buy sees action unless I ordered it to spec I will have yanked the shaft and installed my grip of choice. My irons are 2013, I don't use a driver and for me it's all about the shaft with fairways and hybrids. I keep a stash of uncut shafts and new grips.

Dave :-)

54 minutes ago, Piz said:

But there is....I've found it....dozens of times!   Just like how easy it is to quit smoking...done it dozens of times! (actually as far as the smoking, I did quit permanently in 1972).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I think it is funny when I am reading a review on a new set of clubs and the appearance portion is just as large as the  performance. To me, unless the club is ugly as sin, appearance would not stop me from purchasing it. 

Professional and personal reviews is what really sells me. When looking at personal reviews I tend to put more stock into what the golfers handicap is. Handicaps closer to mine are placed higher than someone closer to scratch. I was once told a scratch golfer could pick up a set of beat up clubs from a garage sale and still shoot pretty well. So what the higher handicapper feels, sees and how the clubs performs really helps steer me. 

Maybe be I am way off and maybe that is a contributing factor into my current high handicap. 

For me? I look specifically at how the club performs for me, then narrow down based on price. For most other people, I think it's price-looks-performance, if performance even factors in for them at all. Then there are those that just like to have the "newest" whatever, regardless of price or looks.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

In general, the hype and buzz create the need - as a group, golfers all want easy distance.

But ... it's not easy. If you ain't got the swing, you don't get the ring...

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

On 6/27/2017 at 4:48 PM, Piz said:

I agree. 

Spend a couple of hours watching The Golf Channel & you'll hear about a Driver which will add 30 yards to your tee shots, a wedge that magically stiffs every shot & hybrids that turns ugly swings into majestic shots. 

PXG...the best golf clubs...PERIOD!

1 hour ago, Mr. Desmond said:

In general, the hype and buzz create the need - as a group, golfers all want easy distance.

But ... it's not easy. If you ain't got the swing, you don't get the ring...

As my high school golf coach used to say, "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian."

Actually, I think it's both! The best Indian can't shoot a crooked arrow straight. However, a straight arrow can benefit a poor Indian!

Get properly fitted clubs!

I think true club customization from someone knowledgeable is great and you won't get that just anywhere.

Ive no idea why people buy clubs so much.  I guess they love the honeymoon period of false confidence and then over time the feeling fades and they want that again

Golfers are easy prey to marketing.  

Since 2000 every new driver is another twenty yards.  Do the math

Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!