IGNORED

2017 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale Discussion Thread

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 7/17/2017 at 7:04 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Tee times & Pairings have been posted - https://www.theopen.com/TeeTimes#!/R1

Looking through the tee times and I thought it was amusing the photo they chose for Tom Lehman - it's like 800 years old.  Then I realized that it's exactly 21 years old.  The photos of most of the players are of them in action after hitting a shot, but the photos of past winners are cropped photos of them with their trophy.  Daly's sporting his mullet, and Duval and Els look like kids. :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Love the Open, but the one part that I don't like is the luck of the draw. One half always gets screwed and the forecast is one that calls for some heavy wind part of Friday so it likely will happen again this year. You look back last year and Stenson/Mickelson ended up where they did because they got the benign conditions on Friday. Really every year in recent memory other than prolly 2013 it's been an issue. So it will be interesting to see who gets screwed this year and which half dodges the bullet. 

On 7/17/2017 at 10:04 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Tee times & Pairings have been posted - https://www.theopen.com/TeeTimes#!/R1

Weather looks to be Openeque - per accuweather Wednesday could be a mess with showers, heavy thunderstorms and some local flooding,  Thursday might be the best day high of 64° with no rail predicted and the weekend being

Royal Birkdale weekend 7-22-16.PNG

Tournament Airtimes on Golf Channel (Eastern):
Thursday         1:30 a.m.-4 p.m. (Live) / 10 p.m.-Midnight (Replay)
Friday              1:30 a.m.-4 p.m. (Live) / 10 p.m.-2:30 a.m. (Replay)      
Saturday          4:30-7 a.m. (Live) / 10 p.m.-2 a.m. (Replay)
Sunday            4-7 a.m. (Live) / Midnight-4 a.m. (Replay)

Tournament Airtimes on NBC (Eastern):
Saturday          7 a.m.-3 p.m. (Live)
Sunday:           7 a.m.-2 p.m. (Live)

Thanks for posting this. I was going to ask this exact question. I'll have to remember to get up early this weekend!

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Love the Open, but the one part that I don't like is the luck of the draw. One half always gets screwed and the forecast is one that calls for some heavy wind part of Friday so it likely will happen again this year. You look back last year and Stenson/Mickelson ended up where they did because they got the benign conditions on Friday. Really every year in recent memory other than prolly 2013 it's been an issue. So it will be interesting to see who gets screwed this year and which half dodges the bullet. 

Hey, it's the breaks! I think we need more players like Tom Watson and caddies like Bruce Edwards! Tom continually got screwed by weather, except for the "duel in the sun", and just soldiered on! I think Watson could have been a Navy Seal!

And, remembering a Feherty essay, he wrote that if you're ever golfing in Scotland and the caddy says, "The sheep are laying down, that means it's going to rain.", just remember where you are! You're in Scotland, and it's ALWAYS going to rain!

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Yuck. I hate internal OB. 

(In my own play, at least. It sounds like they have a solid reason for applying it here.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Can't root for DJ the philandering sniffer but will be rooting Spieth!

Some weather and a tough course makes it interesting!

Good job R and A preventing a semi chea with in course OB!

Just now, Jack Watson said:

Can't root for DJ the philandering sniffer

clown comment....

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

When the sheep are laying down...it means they are tired.

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

7 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

Pretty sure he didn't carry a driver when he won the tournament.

Which?  The comment you were responding to referenced the Open at Torrey Pines in 2008 which Phil didn't win.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

6 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Which?  The comment you were responding to referenced the Open at Torrey Pines in 2008 which Phil didn't win.

Yes but he's about to play in the British open without a driver ... and he was pointing out that he won the British open without a driver a few years ago. :)

26 minutes ago, Shindig said:

British Open he won.

Trollin' is the life

Nobody is a high betting favorite this week...Spieth leading the pack at 14/1. My guess is DJ and Rory won't be in contention and Spieth and Fowler will be.

Edited by skydog

Watching some pre-practice rounds, the rough doesn't look nearly as penal as it was in '08 when scoring an 80 was like scoring Even Par. Course looks in good shape...looks a bit dry which is what you want for a links course. Not dry like 2013, though....that Open at Muirfield was fun to watch. It was as if they were playing on garage cement the way the ball was bouncing and rolling.

7 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Yes but he's about to play in the British open without a driver ... and he was pointing out that he won the British open without a driver a few years ago. :)

Exactly. People love to give Phil crap even though he has won a ton because he isn't afraid to go against the norm. That is a perfect example of selective memory. People only remember his failed no driver attempt at the US Open but are ignorant enough to forget he won the tournament he is about to play without a driver. Most players will hit only a handful of drivers a round. It is smart to take something else especially if the course is super dry.

• Upvote 1

Trollin' is the life

If it's dry the fairways will play like I-95 at 5 pm with no traffic. One or two under might win, but not likely.

Birkdale is tight, so Phil's no driver+2 3-iron +64° wedge+ Mad scientist experiment = Might win.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

19 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

If it's dry the fairways will play like I-95 at 5 pm with no traffic.

It won't exist?

19 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Birkdale is tight, so Phil's no driver+2 3-iron +64° wedge+ Mad scientist experiment = Might win.

Yes, but he also might win with a driver.  And just because he wins with it doesn't mean it's the better strategy. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 2461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!