IGNORED

2017 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale Discussion Thread

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Yukari said:

McIlroy's two halves look like mine a lot of the times (not the actual score, but the discrepancies).  Good for him to recover from that disaster of the front nine.

Agreed. It was good to see him comeback. Tomorrow will be a true test for him, though. If the weather forecast holds true, it's gonna be a battle for survival out there, especially with the morning groups when the weather is supposed to be at its worst.

Tough day for the Little Black Knight.  I was hoping for a better start from the local lad.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

BTW.....I thought Bones was terrific to listen to 

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

3 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

BTW.....I thought Bones was terrific to listen to 

I didn't hear him yet ... but I thought the same thing about Justin Leonard when I was watching.  I hadn't noticed him before - for all I know he's been announcing for awhile - but I thought he did very well.  Must be that major championship on his resume:-P

What is the deal with Leonard?  Why is he not playing?  Did he retire from playing competitively and I didn't know about it lol.  

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

16 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

What is the deal with Leonard?  Why is he not playing?  Did he retire from playing competitively and I didn't know about it lol.  

I think he only has partial tour status at this point...he's in his mid 40s and hasn't shown much form in years best I can remember.

I enjoyed listening to Bones as well. I think he was a good pick up for Golf Channel/NBC

Edited by skydog

1 minute ago, skydog said:

I think he only has partial tour status at this point...he's in his mid 40s and hasn't shown much form in years best I can remember.

I enjoyed listening to Bones as well. I think he was a good pick up for Golf Channel/NBC

Yea I know he hasn't shown much form for like, a decade but as a past champ he can play til 60 so I was just curious.  Duval still tees it up at The Open, always been a big fan of his, was hoping he'd at least make the cut but +9 doesn't bode well for him tomorrow.  

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

4 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

Yea I know he hasn't shown much form for like, a decade but as a past champ he can play til 60 so I was just curious.  Duval still tees it up at The Open, always been a big fan of his, was hoping he'd at least make the cut but +9 doesn't bode well for him tomorrow.  

True, I forgot about the past champion exemption. I guess he figured he'd make more money commentating for the weekend than if he T'd it up? ;-)

I didn't get to hear bones today.  I was streaming through the Golf Channel App and followed the marquee groups.

I look forward to listening to his insight this weekend.

3 hours ago, skydog said:

I heard Bones interviewed by Dan Patrick on his radio show earlier this week. He really seemed to know his stuff, was relaxed and funny at times, and comported himself quite well.

FWIW, Spieth was Bones' pick to win the Open. He characterized Royal Birkdale as a second shot course in that you don't need to be a long bomber there. Positioning for your approach shot is much more important.

I didn't get to watch today, too busy, but I'll get a look tomorrow and over the weekend.

Read just now that this is the first time Kuchar has ever had an overnight lead in a major. That is astounding.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

19 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Read just now that this is the first time Kuchar has ever had an overnight lead in a major. That is astounding.

It's not so much a lead when you are tied with two others. 

I do want Kuchar to pull the win out out of the three on top though,. 

Kuchar is quite possibly the most consistent player on the planet the last 10+ years or so.  He rarely wins, rarely is really a major threat to win, but he just quietly goes about his business racking up top 10's lol.  Never seems to miss a cut.

3 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

Kuchar is quite possibly the most consistent player on the planet the last 10+ years or so.  He rarely wins, rarely is really a major threat to win, but he just quietly goes about his business racking up top 10's lol.  Never seems to miss a cut.

Yeah Kuch is solid, always up there. Definitely deserves a win. Nice to see Spieth with a solid round. Very enjoyable to see DeChambeau at +6....Saw poor Omeara with his snowman on the first hole...Like to see DJ play better and Rory at least finished strong.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Just now, Vinsk said:

Yeah Kuch is solid, always up there. Definitely deserves a win. Nice to see Spieth with a solid round. Very enjoyable to see DeChambeau at +6....Saw poor Omeara with his snowman on the first hole...Like to see DJ play better and Rory at least finished strong.

I really thought if the weather had stayed that bad all round we'd see a score in the 90's and I thought that'd be O'Meara.  

18 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

:beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!