IGNORED

Gallon a day water drinkers, got a question

TN94z
Note: This thread is 2121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am trying to lose some weight and I know that drinking around a gallon of water a day plays a big role in that process. I have trouble getting a gallon down in a day and was wondering what you guys do? I was thinking maybe a flavored mix or something to help. I normally buy the gallon jugs of drinking water and just carry it around with me. I thought about the Crystal lite mix but do not really care much for the aspartame in it.

Any tips or mixes that you guys use?

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find it pretty easy honestly.  I don't mix anything in either.  I have a 32oz water bottle so 4 refills and I'm done.

1 - Drink during morning workout entire bottle.
2 - Drink another bottle between lunch
3 - Refill around lunch time and drink most during lunch then continue till Dinner.
4 - Drink most during dinner and finish before afternoon workout.

I'll then usually drink another 32 oz bottle during that workout or after.  I've never had an issue getting 4 and usually drink more.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

I've never had an issue drinking that much fluid either.  Don't forget coffee also counts for fluid consumption.  I drink 3-4 cups of coffee (black) a day.  I also drink 2-3 16 oz. bottles of Perrier a day - Green Apple is my favorite flavor.  On top of that I drink protein shakes after my morning workout (~16 oz of fluid) and another after lunch as a snack.  I also drink 2-3 cups of water or ice tea with each meal.  And there you have it a gallon or more water per day.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I think drinking coffee is what takes up time. I'll make Yeti cup full to take to work and I usually drink on it until 9 or so. It's almost lunch before I start drinking the water. Maybe I should just get a 320z bottle like @poser does and drink it that way. I have just started back working out and in the past have never had issues drinking this much. I'm sure I will get back in the habit.

I have never really counted the water in protein shakes or coffee. I was always told to drink at least a gallon aside from that stuff. I'll try the bottle and see if that helps rather than using my gallon jug and a cup

Bryan A

I don't really see the requirement of drinking that much water a day to lose weight. If you require that much water drink it. Otherwise I think it is overkill.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Have you tried mixing it with bourbon? :-D 

I drink a lot of water, not to help lose weight, I'm just a big proponent of keeping hydrated.  Maybe not a full gallon every day, but close.  I don't mix anything, but I do keep my water ice cold.  That's the biggest key for me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have a 32 oz Nalgene water bottle and most of my water consumption, honestly, comes while I'm sitting at my desk doing other things. I just fill the bottle with ice and water and usually end up drinking at least 4 bottles worth in a couple of hours, or if I'm out on the golf course it's even easier. On the golf course I generally have to pace myself to drink less water since I would otherwise drink about half the bottle a hole, but I just plan it out so that I finish my water by the time I get to the next water fountain. 

I have it a bit easy in terms of drinking water since I take a medication with the side effect of a dry mouth, but I think it's easiest if you just always have water with you. Carry your bottle around the house as you do different things and just keep taking sips of it. If you have to walk into another room or go out of your way to get more water, or if you only fill an 8 oz glass at a time (you'd need 16 of those glasses full of water) you're going to find it difficult because you have to put a lot of extra effort in to just drink more water. If you've got a large bottle that requires less filling to reach your goal and you keep it with you, it's easier to just take sips throughout the day.

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

I am trying to lose some weight and I know that drinking around a gallon of water a day plays a big role in that process. I have trouble getting a gallon down in a day and was wondering what you guys do? I was thinking maybe a flavored mix or something to help. I normally buy the gallon jugs of drinking water and just carry it around with me. I thought about the Crystal lite mix but do not really care much for the aspartame in it.

Any tips or mixes that you guys use?

I buy a carbonated mineral water, mix it cold with filtered from the fridge, (the fraction of carbonated to non-carbonated is up to your tastebuds) and squeeze some lime into the glass - it's my water cocktail and is very refreshing and cold (no ice) - makes water interesting and doable all day long.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

I don't really see the requirement of drinking that much water a day to lose weight. If you require that much water drink it. Otherwise I think it is overkill.

It helps tremendously in my opinion. I do a lot of cardio and crossfit so the water need is there. Even when I just lifted for strength and BB, I still drank a gallon a day but back then it was brewed green tea that i drank cold. That made it a lot easier. I'm trying to make myself drink just plain water, but for some reason, I'm finding it more difficult now. I'm thinking the bottle will do the trick. I am using an 8oz glass while at work and filling it from a gallon container. I don't have ice though. It's just cold from the container in the fridge. If I had ice, I could drink the crap out of it. But for me to get ice, I would have to walk down the hall every time the ice melted.

All good ideas guys!

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Have you tried mixing it with bourbon? :-D 

I drink a lot of water, not to help lose weight, I'm just a big proponent of keeping hydrated.  Maybe not a full gallon every day, but close.  I don't mix anything, but I do keep my water ice cold.  That's the biggest key for me.

Absolutely! I don't know how that would make me feel going into my crossfit class though..haha! The ice water would for sure make it easier for me too. I just don't have ice handy where I work. I guess I could bring my water in a big cooler jug with ice in it...

Bryan A

Like others, I have a 32 oz bottle at my desk that I fill each morning and refill throughout the day as required.  Most days I probably go through it three times, and about 20 oz coffee each morning plus water at dinner and that's probably close to a gallon.

I don't actively shoot for a specific number though.

This may sound crazy; but I drink when I'm thirsty and don't think about it when I am not.  I begin each round with a cup of coffee and a bottle of water.  Oddly; I like a warm beverage when it is really hot and a cold beverage on a brisk day.  I'm thinking that I like whatever I'm drinking to be about the same temperature that it is outside.  Not something I've put a lot of thought behind; it just seems to have worked out that way.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

A little lemon juice can be helpful.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

(edited)
40 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Like others, I have a 32 oz bottle at my desk that I fill each morning and refill throughout the day as required.  Most days I probably go through it three times, and about 20 oz coffee each morning plus water at dinner and that's probably close to a gallon.

I don't actively shoot for a specific number though.

I don't really worry about not hitting the gallon. If I don't get it in, I just don't. My main thing is to cutout the other junk I was drinking.  I think I'm going to get me a 32oz bottle and try that.

17 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

A little lemon juice can be helpful.

I have thought about that as well..

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

5 hours ago, TN94z said:

It helps tremendously in my opinion. I do a lot of cardio and crossfit so the water need is there. Even when I just lifted for strength and BB, I still drank a gallon a day but back then it was brewed green tea that i drank cold. That made it a lot easier. I'm trying to make myself drink just plain water, but for some reason, I'm finding it more difficult now. I'm thinking the bottle will do the trick. I am using an 8oz glass while at work and filling it from a gallon container. I don't have ice though. It's just cold from the container in the fridge. If I had ice, I could drink the crap out of it. But for me to get ice, I would have to walk down the hall every time the ice melted.

Fine if you need it but I don't agree with forcing water down and don't get me started on crossfit... If it is more difficult to drink a gallon, then your body doesn't probably need it.

Edited by Valleygolfer

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I don't drink water to lose weight. I drink a lot of water to make sure I don't get kidney stones again. After two episodes of stones, I don't want to go through that again.. ever.

In the morning I'll have a 16oz coffee

I'm at the golf course by 0800 Mon - Fri and will go through 2 to 3 16 oz bottles of water during the round. After the round I have a GatorAde.. I think they're 16 oz also. Upon returning home I have a Stainless steel 24 oz mug which I'll go through 2 or 3 of those throughout the afternoon / night.

I'll occasionally squirt Real Lemon in for some tartness / different flavor. Also, Costco & BJ's sell Propel which is a flavored water. 

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

I don't drink enough water but I do drink 2 quarts of tea per day.   Before I was retired though I drank that much Pepsi per day.   

1 hour ago, CT207 said:

I don't drink water to lose weight. I drink a lot of water to make sure I don't get kidney stones again. After two episodes of stones, I don't want to go through that again.. ever.

This is something that I can learn from you, I don't have to experience it myself.   I'll start drinking more water to help prevent kidney stones.   I've heard they are extremely painful.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!