IGNORED

Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?

wedge player
Note:Β This thread is 1058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

On β€Ž6β€Ž/β€Ž21β€Ž/β€Ž2012 at 10:19 AM, MrSandman said:

How about headphones?Β  Any of you play with headphones?

Β 

If I'm playing as a walk up with randoms, I might throw in some ear buds and tune out the other people in the group.Β  Not usually on the tee box, but on the fairways and sometimes the putting greens.

I find this topic fascinating. To be honest, I've never played music on the course myself, but I have played with folks who did play music. I don't mind either way. I'd be annoyed if your music was ladened with profanity. Especially if there were kids on the course. I like music as much as the next guy. I like golf probably more than the next guy.

I do find it interesting that some folks are just so dead set against it. I always wonder why. Are they distracted by it? I consider myself really difficult to distract. The folks around me don't affect my score. They can affect my enjoyment of the round. Some folks are simply more fun to play with than others.Β 

I think I'd rather have you play music on the course than wear your head phones while playing with me. I enjoy a little conversation. I like to meet new people. … and in truth I'm a little chatty.Β 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 7:36 AM, ScouseJohnny said:

Β 

Personally, in a world full of human-made noise, a big part of golf for me is the fact that is played in an (admittedly, adapted), natural environment - but that's still outdoors in what amounts to a huge park. I want to hear birdsong and not much else.

I agree with this. Sometimes it’s just nice to hear the wind, the leaves rustling and the birds.

We play music often as well but we are pretty aware and considerate. Like you get more than 3-4 feet away from the cart and you can’t really hear it. Β 

I think it’s a carry over from scrambles. We play a ton of tournaments for the industry I am in and it’s basically a party on the golf course. Β It’s not very often I don’t see someone I work with(industry wise) when I go play and they are usually rockin a speaker.Β 

Not sure about everyone else’s area but it’s been getting more popular probably the last 2 years in my area.Β 

I'm just thankful that nobody among the various guys with whom I play feels it necessary to have music.Β  I really dislike it on the course.Β  It's against the rules and it just doesn't belong on a golf course.Β  There's something wrong itΒ you can't be away from your music for a few hours to play a round of golf.Β  The odds are also very good that we won't both have the same taste in music.Β  Regardless,Β I don't even want to hear the music that I like while I'm playing.

Edited by Fourputt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 3 months later...

I think it depends on the course, who you're with, and what type of golf is being played. I have a group that we always get 4 of us together toΒ play and one of us will bringΒ a speaker. We also smoke a cigar or two. We also have MULTIPLE beers along the way. It's a guys get together on a golf course. But we are NOT loud enough to bother anyone else. You can't hear the music when we're on the green away from our carts.

I have another friend that would NEVER allow a speaker/music during his round. We play significantly more serious golf.

I walked 9 the other day by myself and thought that having earbuds might be a nice way to do that.

Β 

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / OrlimarΒ 3W & 4H (circa 2012) /Β Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) /Β Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60*Β /Β Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

• iacas changed the title to Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?

I am very much a music lover. That being said, time & a place. In my humble opinion. Not on the course. I feel it distracts from the natural rhythm of the day. I like to hear the frogs & the birds. Whenever I have encountered a speaker device turned up a little loud, I would politely ask if they could turn it down a little & the party has always been very accommodating. I find when this is approached with mutual respect, it works out great for everyone!Β 

I

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/23/2019 at 5:18 PM, AlDena said:

Only when there is beer and cigars...

What music typically goes with beer and cigars? Guessing something Octoberfest Polka-ish? And crazy lots of beer? 😡

Β 

On 1/23/2019 at 12:44 PM, Chasing_Bogeys said:

I think it depends on the course, who you're with, and what type of golf is being played. I have a group that we always get 4 of us together toΒ play and one of us will bringΒ a speaker. We also smoke a cigar or two. We also have MULTIPLE beers along the way. It's a guys get together on a golf course. But we are NOT loud enough to bother anyone else. You can't hear the music when we're on the green away from our carts.

I have another friend that would NEVER allow a speaker/music during his round. We play significantly more serious golf.

I walked 9 the other day by myself and thought that having earbuds might be a nice way to do that.

Β 

What music do you typically play? Only asking because we’re going on the course tomorrow morning? Just checking...πŸ˜‚

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 1/23/2019 at 5:18 PM, AlDena said:

Only when there is beer and cigars...

THIS is the best answer. There's a time and place, but it ain't every round with every set of playing partners.

10 minutes ago, Lihu said:

What music do you typically play? Only asking because we’re going on the course tomorrow morning? Just checking...πŸ˜‚

No music tomorrow. Wasn't planning it anyhow, but you talked me into walking so nowhere for the speaker to go.

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / OrlimarΒ 3W & 4H (circa 2012) /Β Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) /Β Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60*Β /Β Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

Β 

7 minutes ago, Chasing_Bogeys said:

No music tomorrow. Wasn't planning it anyhow, but you talked me into walking so nowhere for the speaker to go.

Ahh, one more benefit to walking...kidding, I’m sure whatever you listen to is fine 😁

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't mind if people want music that they can hear in their cart. It's when they crank it up, seeming that they insist on everyone else listening to their music, is when I get bothered!Β 

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Which rule covers the listening of music on the course?

Rule 4.3a(4): http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=4

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

27 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Β 

14-3/7

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

4.3.a.(4).Β  @Vinsk, you're looking at the old rule.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note:Β This thread is 1058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!