IGNORED

Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?

wedge player
Note: This thread is 1051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Depends on the venue/occasion for me. When playing in a scramble with my buddies we will be playing some music. If it’s just a normal round I prefer no music, and just the sounds of the golf course (in most cases). 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Music on the Course - When did this become a thing?

I have been fortunate not to run into music on the course, but I would not like it. I suppose it would be like going to read a book on the beach and the group several blankets down are blaring heavy metal. 

31 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

I have been fortunate not to run into music on the course, but I would not like it. I suppose it would be like going to read a book on the beach and the group several blankets down are blaring heavy metal. 

A little Iron Maiden never hurt anyone.  :whistle:

• Like 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I'll confess to not reading every post.  In the past I did not like Music when I was playing.  Then we started playing indoors in the winter.  In that scenario there is more noise then just music.  I found it to be helpful, both the noise and music.  It taught me to tune out the outside noise, all of it.  I now enjoy music on the course.  It is not a must but I tend to like it.

When we are playing with others we ask if music will bother them, if they say yes we turn it up....kidding.  If they say yes we leave it off.  I play on a  course with few trees and it is difficult if not impossible to hear anyone else's music. 

If music is going to hurt someone from having a personal best in any way there is a problem.  It would never be a jarring sound.  If music is bad then talking is equally bad.  Do you talk on the course?

• 3 weeks later...

Today I worked a fairly large charity tournament in Frisco, TX, which is just north of Dallas.  I decided to keep track of how many groups were playing music that could be heard easily from at least 20-25' away.  I didn't count the number of carts that were playing music (some groups had different music in each cart)...I just counted how many groups had loud music.

I'll set the scene: basically every demographic was represented at this tourney except for juniors.  Men and women, twenty-somethings to senior citizens, quite a few couples, a handful of foursomes were all-female, the majority of foursomes were male, a good mix of blue collar and white collar types.  Despite the size of this tournament, alcohol consumption seemed very moderate compared to most of the other events I've worked this season.  The morning flight was a full field of 144 players (36 groups), the afternoon flight had 68 players (18 groups).

THE RESULTS:  In the morning flight, 31 of 36 groups were playing music in 1 or both carts.  In the afternoon, 13 of 18 groups were playing music.  I was surprised that there were this many groups who have jumped on this trend.  I didn't track the type of music that players were listening to other than making mental notes, and from what I noticed the majority were listening to hip-hop, country or classic rock.  I realize this was a social, fun, fundraising scramble and is a different atmosphere than a typical round or competitive tournament, but at least in this type of situation there are more people who have embraced this aspect of the "modern game" and consider it normal than not.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

On 6/6/2018 at 5:15 AM, inthecup said:

If music is bad then talking is equally bad.  Do you talk on the course?

Er.... no. On what planet?

Making conversation is hardly the same as inflicting something upon others in an environment people choose to be in partly because they want to be away from such things. I can't think of anything more obnoxious.

• Like 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Shorty said:

I can't think of anything more obnoxious.

Well now that's just a flat out lie.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My new favorite beef... Music from another fairway and now the same guys have to yell to talk over it...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, Valleygolfer said:

My new favorite beef... Music from another fairway and now the same guys have to yell to talk over it...

The John Belushi stairway scene in Animal House just popped into my head. :-D

• Like 1

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

I'm sure it was mentioned already, but technically it's against the rules to play music during a round. 

My buddy does it in his Thursday league when I join. I'm not really a huge fan of music while I play, but it doesn't distract me or hamper my game in any way, so I let it go. It's never a serious round anyway, and he's nice enough to invite me to his league...so I'm cool with it. He's also one of the courteous ones that turns it pretty much all the way down when we're within 30 yards of another group.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

On 6/5/2018 at 3:15 PM, inthecup said:

I'll confess to not reading every post.  In the past I did not like Music when I was playing.  Then we started playing indoors in the winter.  In that scenario there is more noise then just music.  I found it to be helpful, both the noise and music.  It taught me to tune out the outside noise, all of it.  I now enjoy music on the course.  It is not a must but I tend to like it.

When we are playing with others we ask if music will bother them, if they say yes we turn it up....kidding.  If they say yes we leave it off.  I play on a  course with few trees and it is difficult if not impossible to hear anyone else's music. 

If music is going to hurt someone from having a personal best in any way there is a problem.  It would never be a jarring sound.  If music is bad then talking is equally bad.  Do you talk on the course?

There's a difference, the music could be used to invalidate the round, so even if it were their personal best it would be an unofficial score. I've become more tolerant of people playing music, because I really can't do anything about it. I could ask them to turn it off, but then I become "that guy" so it's just not worth it. Plus, lately, I haven't even been golfing much anyway.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

IDK when it became a thing, but the most memorable music moments for me are:

• Playing the last few holes of a nice country club with the mansion up above playing Sinatra full blast every Sunday. Not a big Frank fan, but it's a pretty cool vibe.
  • Playing at a public course next to a Jewish festival with lots of Israeli hardcore techno. Most people didn't seem to mind, found it funny. It probably cost all of us a few shots though.
  • Playing at another muni across from a big event, with DJ Cash Mooooooney on the mike. He was so bad it was hilarious. I can't imagine he gets many gigs.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Well now that's just a flat out lie.

Possibly an exaggeration.....How about inconsiderate and rude?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

8 hours ago, Slice of Life said:

I'm sure it was mentioned already, but technically it's against the rules to play music during a round. 

My buddy does it in his Thursday league when I join. I'm not really a huge fan of music while I play, but it doesn't distract me or hamper my game in any way, so I let it go. It's never a serious round anyway, and he's nice enough to invite me to his league...so I'm cool with it. He's also one of the courteous ones that turns it pretty much all the way down when we're within 30 yards of another group.

Good for your buddy. I've had round where people playing music kept it blasting the entire time they were on the course. Nothing more needs to be said in that it's all about them!

4 hours ago, Shorty said:

Possibly an exaggeration.....How about inconsiderate and rude?

Inconsideration and rudeness are both outside the bounds of the rules! Whether the player subjected to those wishes to report these are up to them. Most don't.

Golf is supposed to be a gentlemanly and ladylike form of competition. If you cannot conduct yourself thus, perhaps you should be denied the field of play!

On 6/24/2018 at 9:32 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

I've had round where people playing music kept it blasting the entire time they were on the course. Nothing more needs to be said in that it's all about them!

Yeah, that's really inconsiderate. 

I try to be considerate about everything I do on the course. I like my cigars, but if I'm with someone who's not a fan, I'll keep them in the bag for the round. Should be the same for music or any other non-golf related "activity" on the course.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I guess golf is many things to many people.

Personally, in a world full of human-made noise, a big part of golf for me is the fact that is played in an (admittedly, adapted), natural environment - but that's still outdoors in what amounts to a huge park. I want to hear birdsong and not much else.

10 hours ago, ScouseJohnny said:

I guess golf is many things to many people.

Personally, in a world full of human-made noise, a big part of golf for me is the fact that is played in an (admittedly, adapted), natural environment - but that's still outdoors in what amounts to a huge park. I want to hear birdsong and not much else.

I like this. For those who just can't get along without their music, get an app on your cell phone, stick some earbuds in your ears, and you can have all the music you want. Just leave me out of it!

I also have an issue with the guys who are just wedded to their cell phones on the course! They are on it constantly, texting or responding to Facebook or Twitter! And they wonder why they can't play decent golf.

I played with a friend who's girlfriend was giving him grief about him playing golf that day. He got increasingly aggravated as the round went along. I finally told him that if he knew the next text would piss him off, why not shut the damned phone off until the round was through!

He looked at me like I was crazy! He had to fight it out in real time!

FWIW, I leave my phone in the car when I play. If anything goes down, I can deal with it after the round. This constant "connectedness" does not appeal to me. I like my time away!

Last weekend we got a good deal at Manele Bay, Lanai. It was an all you can play for 1 price. Anyway, the carts were nice and came with built in speakers that bt connect to your phone. They were about the nicest carts I’ve driven. We played 36 holes and never got around to testing them out. Never heard anyone else either. 

Now if the deal stays when we go back in the fall, we might play a tune or 2.

Aloha,

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Note: This thread is 1051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!