IGNORED

How long do golf shoes last

Note: This thread is 2379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've only had three pairs over the past 6 seasons-first was a pair of foot joy sandals. Felt good but were too hot. Had a pair of contours and now dry joys. Both bought on sale , both breaking down in the front under the ball of my foot, after about 90 rounds over 2 years each, walking 18 in all kinds of weather.

What do you folks usually do-buy 2 or three at a time on sale and throw them away after a couple years or buy very expensive.

How about forefoot support, especially under the balls of the foot? suggestions?

Thanks

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually get about 3 seasons out of a pair, before they start to break down in one way or another.  Over the years I've had that crappy pair that didn't last a season, or really good luck with a pair that lasted almost 5 seasons.

This last time around, I had a hard time fitting the right shoe (something really comfortable for walking but also providing really good support... that doesn't also look terrible).  When I found the right shoe, I bought 2 pair this time around and rotate them.

Edited by Denny Bang Bang

I get about 2 years and 200 rounds out of a pair of Footjoys.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I don't play as much as others around here so I'll get 3-4 years out of a pair of shoes. I never get to the point where they break down structurally, but they always lose their water-resistance somewhere and that's when I replace them.

Pretty sure my last two pairs of golf shoes were both previous model years I bought off Amazon at a discount.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

One thing to help golf shoes last longer is to use shoe trees.   I bought a new pair of Footjoys this year because they were on sale but my previous Footjoys are still good and waterproof after 4 years.   I don't walk much though.  

• Like 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I wear spikeless shoes, so sole wear is probably the limiting factor. That said, shoes probably last at least 3 years for me.

I recently found shoes that I REALLY liked, and they were a discontinued model, so I bought three pairs. I'm probably good on golf shoes for a long time.

- John

I usually spend about $120 - $160 for a good pair of Foot Joys and I expect 2 - 3 years of use from them.  My last pair of Contours fell apart (sole actually separated from the shoe itself) last October after just 1 season of use.  The only golf shoes available at Dicks in the style I wanted were the Foot Joy low end Green Joys, which were on sale and cost me $38, which I figured would be fine if they lasted the remaining 6 weeks of the season.  Almost a year later I am still using them and they are in great shape and comfortable.   I will let you know if they make it well into next season.

Edited by NJpatbee

I'm very "old school" when it comes to golf shoes, and I prefer a more traditional look.  I don't think it ever got to the point of being a fetish, but I definitely went through a phase where I was a FootJoy Classics ho.  I used to travel a lot for work, and I had an opportunity to check out golf shops in different cities, and if I saw a good looking pair of shoes I bought them.  I could sort of justify it because I wore golf shoes to work, but it got to the point where I had twice as many golf shoes as street shoes.  This allowed me to rotate them rather than wear the same pair everyday, which helped the lifespan.  So I go with quality and quantity (I currently have 11 pair of FJ Classics, plus 1 pair Nike, 1 Etonics, 1 Dexter 1 Callaway) and use cedar shoe trees which I'm a big believer in.  2 pair are dedicated rain shoes, so although the others get regular use, it's in good conditions.  I don't "baby" my shoes, but I do take care of them.  

I haven't bought any new golf shoes in at least 5 years, and I have some that are easily more than 10 years old that still have a lot of rounds left in them.  My opinion is, whether you have 1 pair or 50 pair, get the best shoes you can afford.  This is not an area to cut corners to save a few bucks.  Yes, a good pair of shoes can be expensive, but they will almost always be more comfortable and last longer.  Nothing sucks more than being on the course in cheap shoes that cause blisters or sore feet.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I had a pair of Allen Edmonds that were rock solid, but never truly comfortable. I gave them to my brother after two years, they were still in good shape and I expect would last quite a bit longer if cared for.

I replaced them with spikeless Pumas Ignites this summer. I really like the look of them, to the point where I will wear them around in place of my regular sneakers (also Pumas). However, the inside of the toe box on my right foot (rear foot) has worn down substantially. It won't be long before I'll have an exposed toe! The AE showed wear in the same area, but like I said those were rock solid, they just needed to be polished.

Don't know if it's a swing issue, never ran into the problem with other shoes. Would like to spend up on some nice Eccos or similar, but a little alarmed at how fast the Pumas degraded. Don't want to spend $150-250 on shoes that will only last a season.

I have a pair of Oakleys that I've had for probably 4 years, and a pair of Ecco's that I've had for probably 6 years.  Should always have a pair of white golf shoes and a pair of black lol.  But they're still going strong.  I play 20-25 times per year.  

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Spent the past week trolling the shelves. Picked up a pair of FJ pro/sl's. Very similar to the last pair, dry joys. Very comfortable. Thanks for all your feedback. I suppose at $1 to 2$ a round, having a pair for 90 to 100 rounds, walking, often in wet conditions, isn't too bad. 

Plus I never take them out of the trunk, lol

2 hours ago, uitar9 said:

Spent the past week trolling the shelves. Picked up a pair of FJ pro/sl's. Very similar to the last pair, dry joys. Very comfortable. Thanks for all your feedback. I suppose at $1 to 2$ a round, having a pair for 90 to 100 rounds, walking, often in wet conditions, isn't too bad. 

Plus I never take them out of the trunk, lol

I really should take my shoes out of my trunk now that I have a garage.  I could easily rotate them in and give them even more opportunity to air out.

I have a pair of Adidas that I got 2-3 years ago on a member review that are still comfortable to walk in and I might wear to practice putting or short game if I wore sandals off-course that day, but the spikes are worn down and don't seem to be replaceable.  Shame, because they're great shoes otherwise.

I also have a pair of Nikes approximately as old that I just respiked and relaced a month or so ago.  I think those will last another year.

I also got almost two years ago the Footjoy spikeless, but didn't start wearing them until a few months ago.  Had a great round in them yesterday, I hope they last a long time.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say playing 35 - 40 rounds a year that I'd expect to get 3 seasons out of a pair golf shoes. 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

well my NIKE LCV has lasted me good since december of 2016 and I've sprayed them with dirt and water repallent. each time off the course ill while my shoes off and they look new just like i bought them. its been 10months of wearing them and they are still bright white. had them thru mud and sand and even red clay dirt and they are still very white and new looking. my nike LC4 i didn't spray and they aren't to bad but wish i sprayed them now. ive never had FJ and prob won't ever buy any so i can't speak about those. oh even my shoe laces on my LCV shoes are still bright white also. water just slides right off and the dirt just shakes right off and the bottoms are still very new looking for after 10months of golf

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

Note: This thread is 2379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!