IGNORED

Anyone Carry and Use a Really Old Club?

satchmodog
Note: This thread is 1384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have an old Tour Preferred Taylor Raylor ca. 1991 that occasionally makes its way into the bag. My hybrids are about 10 years old. I have a 37  year old putter that makes the occasional round.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After my Diablo broke on a rock, I used a 3W that I got for free some time ago with a $5 donation that I assumed was from the 1960s until one of my playing partners told me it was a so and so brand from 1980, and knew it well.

One day one of my range buddies pulled it out of my bag, told me it was crap, so I got my current Callaway XR16 3W. Some of my other regular playing partners got sick of seeing a low ball land like 180 yards away and end up past their drivers and were threatening to take it out of my bag anyway. :-P

Now, my bag is all new-ish stuff.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

All my irons are from 1996. I plan on buying new 4-GW irons this Winter to see what the tech fuss is all about, but I'll probably just carry on with my 1996 SW.

I don't know why but I still have my original Acushnet Bulls Eye putter, though I don't carry it and likely never will again...

Edited by Midpack

On 9/20/2017 at 8:54 PM, billchao said:

8202017214417.jpg

I use this as my gap wedge. It might be older than I am.

I used to use a pitching wedge from my Ben Hogan Apex II (Black Cameo) set as my GW but it's harder to hit and designed like an iron rather than a wedge so not as versatile around the greens. Depending on the source, the black cameos are either from 1979 or 1983.

The white cameo and black cameo Apex II are the same head...the white was used from '79-'82, and it was changed to black in '83 which was the last year of production.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

24 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

The white cameo and black cameo Apex II are the same head...the white was used from '79-'82, and it was changed to black in '83 which was the last year of production.

Yea that's how I understand it. Some people I've spoken to seem to think they were produced concurrently or something. Either way they're older than I am :whistle:

OT, but I've been thinking about reshafting them and putting them into play once in a while.

Anyway thanks for the info.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Until a couple of years ago I carried a 1967 Spaulding 4.5 wood in my bag... for old time sakes.  I bought it when I lived in Hawaii and held onto it over the years.  Didn't need to but I used it once when I had the pleasure of playing Pebble Beach for the first time.  It was like letting an old friend in on something special.   It is now retired, but one day soon I may throw it back into the bag for a round or two. I will have to invent a reason for using it before it and its rusty shaft go back in the upstairs closet.

On 9/20/2017 at 5:16 PM, satchmodog said:

I've been using this 2 iron probably since 1983 when I lifted(rescued) it and the 1 iron from dad's bag. He couldn't hit them to save his life, so I liberated the clubs from his worm burner tyranny. Sadly, he lost(so he claims, I think he wrapped bit around a box elder tree) the 1 iron when he decided to take it to a tournament one day. I would have to guess this club is from about 1975-1980. It's still in amazing shape and I do use it  since I have zero control over fairway woods. What do you all sport ?

20170920_181024_HDR.jpg

Is that a pre-Taylormade speed slot on the sole, or just a reflection?

50 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Looks like a reflection of the phone @satchmodog used to take that picture.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I carry an old two iron once in a while. Just a good club for me. Probably 10-15 years old. 

My favorite putter is around 20+ years old. We have went through a few divorces for younger stuff, but the youngsters just could not do the deed correctly.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 10/5/2017 at 4:41 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Until a couple of years ago I carried a 1967 Spaulding 4.5 wood in my bag... for old time sakes.  I bought it when I lived in Hawaii and held onto it over the years.  Didn't need to but I used it once when I had the pleasure of playing Pebble Beach for the first time.  It was like letting an old friend in on something special.   It is now retired, but one day soon I may throw it back into the bag for a round or two. I will have to invent a reason for using it before it and its rusty shaft go back in the upstairs closet.

Just a reflection. I do carry this club in a bag with 10 year old TaylorMade, though

I have a Ping Zing 2 Putter that's older than I am in my bag currently.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

As a retired club builder\shop owner I have tried just about everything and I settled on my rechromed, rebuilt to my specs 1968 Macgregor VIP’s. Smaller, less offset easier to square up, smaller head flies through the rough, decent hit muscle back seams to go farther.

I still play a Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood which came out in 1999.  I got it from a Tour player before they were released to the public, which was in the fall of '98, so it's been in the bag for 19 years.

witb_1.jpg.1ac88a8cd8b9211f2c3e605aa2588276.jpg

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

My Irons, driver and 4 hybrid are 2008 vintage and perform great. May have to look at a newer driver when funds permit though.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 1384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!