IGNORED

Tour Pro Tries to Make Hole in One with 500 Balls

iacas
Note: This thread is 1992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does he make one?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. BEFORE you watch the video, do you think he makes one? The hole is 145 yards away, winds are calm, and he's hitting a 9-iron.

• Yes, he makes at least one.
    • No, he doesn't hole out in 500 tries.

Not too surprised he didn't make one, a lot of luck goes into making a hole in one. I bet several of those would have gone in at different times of the day too, with the changes in the green.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted no.  The odds are against him making one.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I voted "yes" :-(

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

I voted Yes :-(

I have a non-golfing friend that agreed to play a par 3 course with a group on us. Much drinkage of beer was involved.  Dude bounces his tee shot off a tree, lands on the green and rolls into the hole.  I play every week and have never had one. F him anyway.

Voted yes.. 145 with a 9 iron with 500 consecutive tries has much better odds than 1/2500 odds if that is the historical occurrence rate all par 3 holes played by pros. 

I know I would have lost in this instance but I would have bet $25.

Vishal S.

I voted no, but that was just my gut without really thinking about too much detail.

If you’d have told me he hit 189 of 500 within 6ft (as it says at link), I’d have voted yes- one of those has gotta sink!

http://www.pga.com/news/european-tour/european-tour-pro-hits-500-balls-145-yards-in-12-hours-trying-make-just-one-ace

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

500:1?  Nope.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I voted no. 

It was interesting to watching him go from somewhat intrigued to switching on that competitive nature. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Oddly enough, I once heard a Bob & Tom radio show where they broadcast from a golf course, and had Fuzzy Zoeller as a guest trying to do the same thing. I think it was to promote his "Wolf Scramble" tourney for charity. As I recall he made one in a little under an hour.

Bob & Tom also remarked on how torn up the tee was getting. Zoeller said, "Yep, if you want to get a tee a chewed up just turn a pro loose on it with a short iron!"

14 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Oddly enough, I once heard a Bob & Tom radio show where they broadcast from a golf course, and had Fuzzy Zoeller as a guest trying to do the same thing. I think it was to promote his "Wolf Scramble" tourney for charity. As I recall he made one in a little under an hour.

Bob & Tom also remarked on how torn up the tee was getting. Zoeller said, "Yep, if you want to get a tee a chewed up just turn a pro loose on it with a short iron!"

1 in 2500 chance for a pro to get a hole in one? Amazing!

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I said no before I watched the video, only because I read this a few weeks ago.

ODDS

A study made for Golf Digest by Francis Scheid, Ph.D., retired Chairman of Mathematics at Boston University, using all the available statisitics for holes in one, both amateur and professional, came up with the following estimates:

• Professional Tour player making an ace: 3,000 to 1
• Low-handicapper making an ace: 5,000 to 1
• Average player making an ace: 12,000 to 1
• Average player aceing a 200-yard hole: 150,000 to 1
• Two players in the same foursome aceing the same hole: 17 million to 1
• One player making two holes-in-one in the same round: 67 million to 1"

Edited by Midpack
  • Informative 1

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Do you think 1 in 2500 applies to taking the same shot over and over?  I sure don't 

No. It decreases the odds quite a bit. Maybe even to 1 in 500.

Plus I imagine the average distance of a PGA Tour par three is over 145 yards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I say no before watching it and i nailed it, but i was amazed on how many balls finished inside 6 feet.

It´s good to point out that he took 12 hours to hit 500 balls. 1 minute and 25 seconds between shots.
On the range i normally see guys hitting 100 balls in half an hour, thats just 20 seconds between shots. Too fast!!  

15 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

I say no before watching it and i nailed it, but i was amazed on how many balls finished inside 6 feet.

It´s good to point out that he took 12 hours to hit 500 balls. 1 minute and 25 seconds between shots.
On the range i normally see guys hitting 100 balls in half an hour, thats just 20 seconds between shots. Too fast!!  

Some of that time could have been for repairing the divots and the ball marks on the green.

At one point, so many people just hit balls one after another. That was when they first started a "Player's Club". Now it seems different. They only offer one large bucket per day and I only see a few people machine gunning balls like that and they have two or three buckets using their friends or relatives keys or something? Most people take about 30 seconds or a minute to hit each ball.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 1992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!