IGNORED

Favorite Team Game

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Favorite Team Game (or one you think would be most fun)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which team format is your favorite? (or if you don't play team games, what do you think would be most fun)

• Foursomes (alternate shot)
    • Greensomes (modified alternate shot - each drives, then select & alternate)
    • Four Ball (best ball of two)
    • 2-Person Scramble
    • 4-Person Scramble
    • Something else - please describe

Fresh off the Newport Cup, one has a new or renewed appreciation of team golf and team games.  So what does everyone prefer?  And if you rarely or never play a team game, what seems like the most interesting and fun format?

I think alternate shot is the ultimate team game.  You and your partner are totally dependent upon each other.  It was especially fun for me on the 2nd day when @cipher and I managed to claw our way to a tie (1.5 to 1.5) in the foursomes match.  Each of us had some obvious weaknesses but we used our relative strengths to cobble together a game that salvaged a tie.  Before we teed off we apologized for all the bad shots we were going to hit and then never said "sorry" after that, we just tried to "make lemonade out of lemons."

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I hate alternate shot, because I like to be in control of my own ball while still playing a team game. So four ball for me.

There are other quasi-team games, too, like Wolf, or Vegas, or whatever else. I like playing Vegas, too… quite a bit. Big swings in points. Big wins and big losses.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My group usually doesn't play any games but last year playing 27 holes, we played foursomes, fourball and singles.  I believe it was some of the most fun I've had playing golf.   I'm going to suggest it tomorrow!   I voted 4 ball.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Fresh off the Newport Cup, one has a new or renewed appreciation of team golf and team games.  So what does everyone prefer?  And if you rarely or never play a team game, what seems like the most interesting and fun format?

I think alternate shot is the ultimate team game.  You and your partner are totally dependent upon each other.  It was especially fun for me on the 2nd day when @cipher and I managed to claw our way to a tie (1.5 to 1.5) in the foursomes match.  Each of us had some obvious weaknesses but we used our relative strengths to cobble together a game that salvaged a tie.  Before we teed off we apologized for all the bad shots we were going to hit and then never said "sorry" after that, we just tried to "make lemonade out of lemons."

I really enjoyed the strategy behind choosing the holes and working together for Alternate Shot.  I had a lot of fun with that format as it is very rewarding to play when you start finding a bit of a stride together.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I prefer fourball, personally. I hate sticking other people with my shots in alternate shot. Even though it's never bothered me playing other people's shitty shots. 

I've never played greensomes, so I don't know how I'd like that.

I would like to try Wolf sometime. That sounds interesting.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

12 hours ago, iacas said:

I like alternate shot, because I like to be in control of my own ball while still playing a team game.

Interestingly, I prefer four ball for exactly the same reason.

My group plays it almost exclusively.  It also allows us to each keep an individual score for handicap.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Interestingly, I prefer four ball for exactly the same reason.

Brain fart. I was going to say I like four ball, or hate alternate shot, and mixed them up.

I like alternate shot, just not "regularly."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I find alternate shot to be interesting, and good in very small doses. On the list, I prefer Four-Ball.

If I had to make choice on your classic golf outing set up, I prefer shambles.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I voted alternate shot. It is a game that is hardly ever played but is the most intense for me.

I don't ever interact with a teammate as much as in this format. Loved the pressure and discussing strategy on every shot. Really enjoyed the experience.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

I've never played alternate shot.  I like four ball a lot.  A 2-man scramble is fun occasionally....I've played in way too many 4 man scrambles with people who stink to enjoy those anymore. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

My buddies and I play 2 person scramble sometimes and I enjoy those. We have done 2 person scramble match play too and that is also fun. I like 2 person scramble better than 4 person because in a 4 person scramble, its basically your group against the course, but in the 2 person scramble you are playing right along next to the group that you are trying to beat. 

I always seem to putt better when I do any kind of scrambles too :whistle:

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

My choice is Four Ball, but I make a small modification to the game, which is using the partners score when the score would be tied.
Too many times the game becomes a match between two players and counting the other scores at least keeps the partners in the game.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I dunno, I've haven't done too many team events. The year i got selected for whatever the new jersey am select team competes in - i didn't play because of family vacation conflict.  Ive enjoyed playing alternate shot with a player or similar skill to me, but i have not enjoyed it when the skills are not equal. I prefer better ball when I'm playing with double digit handis in a team game. 

For just casual play, i like playing Sixes alot. 

My Friends and I always play a game called "The Wheel"  

Basically just best ball.   but, on each hole, each team gets a point for Low Score, Low Total, and GIR (closest to the pin if both teams have a GIR).   so, 3 points possible per hole, but you get an additional point if you win all three (Or, The wheel, as it's known).  

we love it.  rarely play anything else.

edit: another advantage of this game is that everyone gets to keep their own 18-hole score.

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

1 hour ago, lastings said:

My Friends and I always play a game called "The Wheel"  

Basically just best ball.   but, on each hole, each team gets a point for Low Score, Low Total, and GIR (closest to the pin if both teams have a GIR).   so, 3 points possible per hole, but you get an additional point if you win all three (Or, The wheel, as it's known).  

we love it.  rarely play anything else.

edit: another advantage of this game is that everyone gets to keep their own 18-hole score.

I dunno, sounds like alot of math. 

Fourball is my favorite team game.  But have fun playing alternate shot at times.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

5 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I dunno, sounds like alot of math. 

It’s not.

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 2372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!