Note: This thread is 1710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Newport Cup Participants Review

Frogger Golf Accessories (all with Latch-It technology)

newport_cup_banner_2017.png

Product Name: Various Frogger Golf Accessories (Brush Pro, Towel, Rangefinder and Cell Phone holders, etc.)
Product Type: Cart and Bag Accessories
Product Website/URL: https://www.froggergolf.com/shop/latch-it/
Cost: Varies

Below, twelve members of the 2017 Newport Cup squad will write thorough, in-depth reviews of various Frogger Golf accessories, all featuring the Latch-It technology, complete with photos, an occasional video, and a wealth of opinion and information. They're encouraged to be as honest as possible. We'd like to thank the sponsors for the gear, apparel, equipment, and goodies, and we chose them largely because they produce quality products, but they know we value honesty and integrity in reviews as well.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ratings (out of 5):
Latch-It System

Quality: 5
Value: 5
Effectiveness: 4
Innovation: 5

The Gear (Towel, Brush, Phone Holder, and Gear Holder)

Value: 4
Effectiveness: 5

My Review:

From Frogger Golf, we got 4 items: a towel, a phone holder, a brush, and a gear holder. All of these came with Latch-It. Latch-It is unique and what makes these items stand out. According to Frogger’s website: “Powered by Catch Latch magnetic fastening technology, award winning Latch-It products allow golfers to instantly ‘fasten, detach and reconnect’ their gear – rangefinders, smart phones, towels, brushes, etc. – onto golf bags, golf carts, and even belts.” Putting it in non-marketing speak, you are basically attaching one end of a magnet onto your bag or cart and attaching the other end of the magnet onto whatever item is on the other end.

The towel and brush are designed to go onto your bag. They come with an attachment that sort of screws into your bag. The pictures show what it’s doing pretty well. You use the pressure of the screw to keep the magnet attached to your bag. Then, on the other end of the magnet, you have the item you want to keep attached to your bag. You can use this end with any of the items: i.e., the gear holder, the phone holder, the towel, or the brush.

37520030364_321dc57261_b.jpg

26454825959_6e9aec3940_b.jpg

(Looking at the “screw” that attaches to the bag)

24341578458_bf733cb978_b.jpg

(Phone holder attached to my bag via the “screw”)

24341576078_e901da2192_b.jpg

(Gear holder attached to my bag via the “screw”)

The magnet that stays on your bag has a cool feature. There’s a locking mechanism on the magnet that ensures whatever item is attached does not fall off. You activate the mechanism by turning the outer plastic piece. The following video shows you how it’s done:

You have to remember to turn the outer ring back to locked when you’re done using it. If you forget to lock it, you might lose whatever item is attached if there is too much jostling. I had my brush fall off in my trunk when I didn’t have the magnet properly locked. But if you remember to lock it, the magnet will keep that item on your bag almost no matter what. It’s a really handy feature. With my old brush, every time I used it, it felt like I was wrestling with my bag and the brush to use it properly. That’s a problem of the past because I can just quickly get the brush off the bag and use it.

Similarly, I used to carry a wet towel in my pocket to clean my ball on the green. I stopped doing it because I didn’t like having a wet towel in my pants pocket. I also don’t like having to take a big towel off my bag to bring it onto the green, so I just didn’t clean my ball on the green. With the latch system, I can easily bring the towel to and from the green and not waste time making sure the towel has reattached properly. No more wet towels in my pants, and no more wrestling with my bag and towel to make sure I don’t leave a towel on the golf course.

The other two things are a phone holder and a gear holder. They are designed to be used in a cart. Instead of the screw, you have a small piece of Velcro attached to the magnet that you can wrap around something. You can wrap it around of the outer bars and then use the magnet to latch it in. It worked great when we used it at the Newport Cup. The gear holder is great for holding onto your rangefinder. The phone holder was big enough to hold my iPhone 6 Plus, which is a large phone, with the case, no problem. If you don’t like stick your phone or rangefinder out of the cup holders on golf cart, this will work great for you.

I also found some interesting ways to use these. They don’t just have to be used in your cart. I use the phone holder at the driving range, attached to my bag. It keeps it handy when I want to use it, without having to dig it out of my pocket. I can use the gear holder to attach my GPS unit to my push cart, so I don’t have to use my very, uh, stylish GPS case that attaches to my belt.

38162165312_b35be50f03_b.jpg

(Phone holder, attached to my bag via the Velcro wrap)

Quickly onto the towel and the brush. The towel is nice. It’s not a huge golf towel, which makes it more portable if you want to detach it from your bag often. The towel is a good golf towel, as well. It cleans my clubs as well as any other golf towel I’ve had. The brush is also nice. The bristles are mostly nylon, but there are small metal bristles on the interior to help get the hard to clean dirt. The handle is nicer than my old brush, where my hand would start to hurt after I cleaned a few clubs.

38194326411_e411557d80_b.jpg

(Towel)

24341580528_bbc4243060_b.jpg

(Brush)

When I first saw these items, I didn’t quite understand what they were for. But after playing around with them for a while and seeing the convenience of them, they are a strong addition to my golfing gear.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• 2 weeks later...

Ratings (out of 5):
Latch-It System

Quality: 4

Value: 3.5

My Review:

As if the cool tee package from the Newport Cup couldn’t get any better, we all were given some great stuff from Frogger Golf. In the package was a club/groove brush, a cell phone holder, a players towel, and a rangefinder/laser holder. Frogger Golf has a new attachment device called Latch-It. The Latch-It system is pretty unique and uses strong magnets when it comes to sticking to your bag or the golf cart (see below).

IMG_3491.jpegIMG_0994 2.jpg

The Towel is pretty standard when it comes to golf towels, however, it has a ring in the corner where it won’t tear from excessive use, and with the Latch-It functionality, it is easy to pull off when walking to a green or the range. I know some guys like to carry a towel to the green in the mornings to wipe the dew off their ball or rest a wedge. The Frogger Golf players towel is easy to pull off the Latch-It system, then when you walk back to the cart you can almost toss it at your bag and it will latch itself back on. No need to worry about your towel falling off the bag when you’re driving away, and with it only attaching in one corner, it actually lets it wave in the wind so it stays pretty dry all round. I found the Frogger Golf players towel to be the coolest and most used of the Frogger accessories that we received.

IMG_7651.jpeg

The second best and most used product Frogger Golf provided us was the laser/rangefinder clip. There is a trend of new innovation where you strap magnets onto your rangefinder with a beer coozie type material and it sticks to the metal rails on the golf cart. With the Latch-It system provided from Frogger Golf, you don’t need a metal rail for it to stick. I alternate between walking and using a push cart, and a normal golf cart. It's easy to move the Frogger Golf range finder holder from one to the next in seconds. The Latch-It system uses strong Velcro straps so it is not going to fall off whether it's on a bumpy cart or me swinging my golf bag onto my shoulder. I will say that the very bumpy transition from cart path to fairway or even crossing a residential road in the golf cart would shake everything quite a bit. The Frogger Golf Latch-It has yet to come loose or fall off. I don’t even use the special locking mechanism. You can spin the attachment so the Latch-It system will not come off no matter how hard you pull on it. I haven’t felt the need to use it yet since the regular magnetic connection works so well.

IMG_2765.jpg

The Frogger Golf brush is nothing new to me. I’ve used several of them in the past and they work great or a golf season and a half, then its time to replace. The one we received has a replacement brush so this one will last at least 2 golf seasons. The flip out groove cleaner works well. Latch-It technology is used again which is nice because usually, you have to bend over awkwardly to scrape off your club, the old zip cord type system could fail, and you don’t want to brush grass and dirt onto your golf bag. It comes off easy, quick brushing, right back on with no trouble. There is nothing flimsy about all of the Frogger Golf equipment. Even when putting your bag on the back of a cart, sometimes bag tags or towel rings get ripped off from your riding partners bag, but you don’t have to worry about that with these accessories. The connections are “plastic”, however, it is pretty sturdy stuff and would hold against most except maybe a cart on cart collision.

IMG_1794.jpeg

Lastly, the Frogger Golf cell phone holder. I really thought this was going to be a pretty cool feature to be able to park a cart at the end of the range or on the course and video my swing with my cell phone, however, my iPhone 7+ with a thin case doesn’t fit. It fits without the case off, but I don’t want to go through the hassle of taking it on and off. I typically like to keep my phone in my bag or on the sides of the cart where you put your car keys. That’s my only gripe about all of the Frogger Golf accessories, even though it says right on the packaging “fits most phones with thin cases” mine was just a little too big.

IMG_0993.jpg

Im sure by now you can tell that I really like all the Frogger Golf accessories and the innovative Latch-It technology they created. It was something that I have lived without up until this point, but it is very nice to have. It's simpler where I don’t have to worry about losing stuff from my golf bag, and very useful when I know exactly where my rangefinder is when I’m pulling up to hit a shot.

Edited by kpaulhus

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• 2 weeks later...

Ratings (out of 5):
Latch-It System

My Review:

We received several items from Frogger, (a towel, brush, phone and gear holder along with their latch-it magnet system).  These are relay cool gadgets which allow you to easily take your items with you and then snapping them back into place when you return with them. 

Below is the towel, which by the way is awesome.  I used to carry around a towel and then would end up draping it all over the cart or my push cart, but with the latch it system, I just connect it with the magnet, turn the latch to secure and away I go.  No more losing the towel as it falls off my bag, plus the blue color stands out and I don’t forget them when I toss it on the green.  Really an ingenious idea.

5a1c5334f2917_FroggerLatchittowel2.JPG.85b63ee5e8a5ebd4cbd5ca7ae18900af.JPG

The brush, which I should probably use more, is shown below.  Again, the latch-it system allows easy access to the brush.  If I carried my bag, I’d have to move it.  Maybe it would fit on the other side along with the towel. Very sturdy brush, no issues with cleaning my club grooves.

5a1c537b6072c_froggerbrush.jpg.1fea888b3d5d630a68fad63212285492.jpg

As for the other items, the latch it for the phone and the range finder are also great.  Everything is easy to find and not cluttered all through the cart or the bag.  Really great items.  Now I haven’t had the change to attach these to my push cart, but I wouldn’t see why it would be any different.  Just strap it on your bag, push cart, or golf cart and go. 

5a1c53abd7c61_LatchItFrogger1.thumb.JPG.89f48d54bba723be24b98c7a6cefc280.JPG

The phone holder shown below, opens and closes extremely easily and holds the phone securely.  Just be aware that the bottom opening didn’t fit my aftermarket cable, as the end was too big.  But worked perfectly with the IPhone cable that comes with the phone.  

5a1c53ae9e3c7_LatchItFrogger2.thumb.JPG.e92e07775dad053f436d3c64c1f3f7f4.JPG

The frogger latch-it system and gear is another winner.  In fact I’m going to buy a couple of the items for my wife, who always seems to be losing her rangefinder and cell phone in her purse or golf bag.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Ratings (out of 5): 
Latch-It System

Quality: 4.5

Golf Bag Latch-It:

latchit.jpg.501618a48251c8a56a42308d4b3c0146.jpglatchit1.jpg.089c8bee6700dfb341a66dcc1dfcb9b5.jpg

The Latch-it system from Frogger is a unique magnet system that attaches to your golf bag by a threaded knob and a U shaped clamp with teeth on the inside that fits over the top outside edge of your golf bag. I was able to turn the knob quite a few times to secure it to my bag and it is not going anywhere.

The Latch-it clip is compatible with all of the Frogger items we received.   

TRAX Golf Towel:

20171104_164119.jpg.ed7338a160268981713d71e6a4e34b8d.jpg

The golf towel I owned has a hole in the middle and is draped over my umbrella handle. I never take it off because it is cumbersome to get on and off and the towel itself is large. The Frogger Trax Golf Towel comes with the Catch Latch technology attached to the towel and works in conjunction with the Latch-it system that I fasten to my golf bag. It makes it very easy to get on and off so I can take it to the green with me or on an approach shot where there is wet grass. Now don't have to keep a wet towel in my pocket to clean my golf ball or club. The towel is thinner and lighter than other towels I have and seems very durable.

My dad really liked it when I showed it to him, especially the magnetic latch-it system. I have ordered him one for Christmas.

Rangefinder Latch-It:

laser1.jpg.43b88db5942215bc153afd864500833c.jpglaser2.jpg.9a6254f6d6dd89f6ab9c9f36a3ee604f.jpg

This is one swag item I will definitely be using on my push cart and golf cart. The Rangefinder system has two pieces, one is a Velcro strap that goes around your rangefinder and the other one wraps around the windshield post or a post on your push cart.

As you can see in the video, the magnetic system holds the rangefinder securely in place. When it is unlocked (orange not showing) it will not come out unless you pull on it perpendicularly to the magnet. When it is locked (orange visible) it will not come out at all. I drove down a bumpy cart path with it unlocked and you can see it does not disengage with the magnet attached to the post. Even when I smacked it around pretty hard with my hand it did not come loose. Impressive.

I usually put my rangefinder in one of the cup holders in the cart. Using this system will now open up one of those spots for more drinks.

Brush and Groove Cleaner:

20171107_192352.jpg.1976dd1ff9334216f19da4c842532858.jpg20171107_192303.jpg.b97bede08e9a2501be065e81b8c6b1ba.jpg

The brush and groove cleaner we received from Frogger has both soft bristles on the outside and metal bristles on the inside which gives you more scrubbing power to get out dirt and grass. The Groove Cleaner is a nice feature to help get anything out of the grooves that the brush could not. Again very easy to get off and on. Less cumbersome than having it permanently attached to your bag.

You can see in the video that the brush does a pretty good job of cleaning out the dirt.

Phone Latch-It:

CIMG2114.jpg.e9768ee6c5665419a835d9dc6857b955.jpg

The Phone holder from Frogger is also part of the latch it system. My Samsung S7 was held in there quite well even with the case on it. I will keep this one locked-in most of the time as a piece of mind.

The only thing I can say negative about it is that I was hoping to attach it to the golf cart and make a Vlog with it. However it does not have a hole in the back to allow the camera to be exposed. I could always cut a hole out myself but not sure if I would hurt the structure of the unit.

Before receiving these Frogger items at the Newport Cup I had only heard of the Frogger towels. I had no idea they had all of these other golf accessories. I have to say I am quite impressed and am looking forward to using them for years to come. 

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Ratings (out of 5):
Latch-It System

My Review:

We received a handful of interesting gadgets from Frogger Golf at the Newport Cup; a towel, scrub brush, phone holder and a strap that can be used for various items I imagine, most notably, a rangefinder.  All four of these gadgets come with a "latch-it" connector system that can be attached to various things.  The phone holder and rangefinder holder come with a Latch-It that can be attached to a bag or cart via a velcro strap, and the towel and brush come with a U-shaped hook that can be fitted over the top of the bag, or through a towel ring and it has a screw that can tighten it and affix it in place.  It's worth noting, though, that the Latch portion of the Latch-It system is identical on all of the items, so they are interchangeable in that regard.  If I wanted to hook my phone to the bag with the U hook or stick my brush to the cart with the strap, I am able to do so.

The magnets that are on each item are strong and are particularly great at "finding" each other.  I can hold the bristle end of the brush and just dangle the magnet within an inch or two of the base, and they snap together.  Each holder also has a clever locking mechanism wherein you twist the outer hub a quarter of a turn of so and because it's intentionally slightly off-center, the item cannot be removed.  This is especially handy for the rangefinder since it's the heaviest (and most valuable) of the items and the most likely to fall off with a little force.  That said, I played a few rounds without locking it and it never fell off - still not a chance you probably want to take when driving on a wooden bridge over a water hazard. :)

Here are a couple of pictures of the items "in-use."  First, the brush:

frogger-brush.jpg

frogger-brush2.jpg

And here is the rangefinder holder in my hand.  The orange rubber piece is held tightly against the frame of the cart, or whatever you are attaching it to, and keeps the strap snugly in place.

laser1.jpg

Of the four items, the brush is probably the most useful for me, simply because the magnet comes on and reattached so much quicker and easier than my old brush that clipped on.  I haven't used the groove cleaner yet, but it's a nice option to have if the bristles can't do the trick.

The range finder clip - specifically when I'm riding in a cart - is also going to come in handy often as well.  No more leaning down into the cart to retrieve or replace my range finder in the cup holder.  This, in turn, also means no more bouncing around in the cup holder during bumpy rides off the beaten cart path.

The towel holder is also nice, however, I like the towel I've been using that I can drape over alignment sticks.  I don't see the Frogger towel as an improvement over my old one, so I'm using them interchangeably.  Sometimes I grab one as I walk to the green, and sometimes I grab the other.

The phone holder is the only item of the four that I've yet to use at all, and don't plan to use anytime soon.  Like others have mentioned, at first I was excited at the prospect of using it to film while I play, but the holder blocks the camera.  When I'm playing, the only time I'm fiddling with my phone is while I'm waiting in the cart, so attaching it to the cart won't really help me all that much.  I'm still going to find it more convenient for my phone to sit in a cup holder or the compartment at the front of the cart.

All in all, I'm a big fan of the Latch-It system and I will be using the towel, brush and rangefinder holders for the foreseeable future.

Ratings (out of 5):
Latch-It System

Quality: 2.5
Value: 3

Quality: 3

https://www.froggergolf.com/shop/latch-it/

My Review:

Of the many Frogger Latch-It items we received at the Newport Cup there are a couple of items that will stay with my bag and I will continue to use until they wear out. I really like the Latch-It towel and brush system. I think this little magnetic system is very innovative for the these two particular products.

1_Bag_Latch-It_v3_1000x1000-620x620.png

At first I thought the bag C clamp was going to be in the way of removing clubs but it actually tightens down on the bag quite nicely and is not in the way at all.  You do not know that it is there when pulling clubs out and putting them back into the bag.  The magnet itself is fairly strong and I think it works very well for the towel and the brush.  It is great to be able to just quickly disconnect these items to use them and then just allow them to snap back in.  I like it for any item that is light enough to not need the ring to be tightened down.  This can be seen in the video below.

The towel and the brush themselves are of nice quality and are very useful.  I like the feel and look of both items.  The towel works very well and is a thin and light but very absorptive for the size and weight.  It is nice to be able to remove it and use it more freely as well.  Getting the ring on the towel to connect it to the Latch-It magnet was a bit of a pain, but I eventually was able to make it work.  The ring kept wanting to catch on the towel as you were trying to run it through the grommet.  

IMG_6928.jpg

The brush is very nice and I like the hybrid combination of synthetic and metal bristles. I think it cleans as well as any brush I have had. I like that it is coarse but not too course at the same time due to the plastic bristles being mixed with the metal bristles.  It also comes with an insert that is plastic bristles only if you would like to swap that out.   

IMG_6932.jpg

I was not so impressed with the Latch-It system for the rangefinder.  I tried to use it during the Newport Cup.  I was having trouble with the connection feeling secure. I was trying to tighten the magnet into the knob it broke off at the base. Maybe I just got a bad one, but I think many rangefinders could possibly just be too heavy for this system.  This is the reason I gave the Latch-It system a mid grade on quality.    

I also will not be using the phone Latch-It product either.  After what happened with the rangefinder I don't fully trust it with my phone.  I also don't really see the use for it when I have never had an issue just putting my phone in the cup holder of the cart.  

As mentioned though I think this Latch-It product is great for lighter items like the towel and the brush.  I will continue to use those and think overall that this product is very innovative for that purpose.  

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Ratings (out of 5): 
Latch-It System

The Gear (Towel)

I am a walker.  My prior towel arrangement was unsatisfactory.  When the bag was set on the ground, the towel would lay on the grass.  It also would get hung up on my double strap and stand legs.  Detaching the towel was difficult and, finally, the towel required several applications of water to remain damp during a round.

The Latch-It System and Frogger towel solved all my issues.  The Latch-It System allows me to attach the towel in a position that does not drag on the ground or interfere with the double straps and stand legs.  The towel stays damp for the entire round and the ingenious magnet/latch system both allows me to easily detach the towel as well as secure the towel when not in use.

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

Brian Kuehn

Ratings (out of 5):
Latch-It System

Quality: 3.5

The Gear (Towel, Brush)

https://www.froggergolf.com/shop/latch-it/

My Review:

Latch-It System:

I was initially confused by the Latch-It system since I didn't realize it had magnets, and I thought you'd have to screw the brush and towel on and off of the latch each time. Having had one of the retractable Frogger brushes in the past I didn't understand why they'd go backwards in terms of convenience, but then I figured out that it was actually magnetic.

The magnetic clasp works really well, and I like it far better than their previous retractable system they had for their brushes. My old Frogger brush on a cable had the cable fray and snap after about two years of use, though the brush itself was fantastic, and the bag clip had broken after only a few months, meaning I actually had to duct tape it to my bag until the cable snapped. The magnetic Latch-It system will have no such troubles in the coming years, since there is no cable to break and if a magnet falls out I can glue it back in. 

The Latch-It system holds the towel and brush (the only two I use, more on that later) very securely to the bag, so you don't need to worry about it potentially falling off. Due to the depth of the latch you have to pull nearly straight out on the towel or brush to remove it from the latch. This is a good thing and a bit of an inconvenience at the same time, because while it does hold items rather securely it will take a bit of practice to be able to smoothly pull the item of choice out of the latch. With a few rounds of practice though you get used to it and it becomes a non-issue. 

The clamp that holds the latch is an interesting design, and I too thought that it might interfere with pulling clubs out of the bag. Since I put two of them on my bag at the Newport Cup, however, I haven't had a single issue with my grips catching or tearing on the latches. They're actually very low profile on the side that faces towards the club, though my one complaint is that they do stick out a ways to the outside of the bag (due to the depth of the latch). I caught a latch to the ribs a couple times picking up my bag until I repositioned the clip to specifically prevent that, so either place the clip low on the bag opening or on the far side of the bag opening if you carry your bag regularly.

The Gear:

As for the gear itself, I do have a couple of things to note. I do not use the laser rangefinder latch or the phone mount for a couple of reasons. The laser rangefinder latch I don't use because I find it more convenient to simply place the rangefinder in the cupholder of a golf cart if I'm riding, or leave it in its pouch when I'm walking. Since it's designed to mount your rangefinder to a golf cart, I find the cupholder much easier because it doesn't require me to strap the latch onto the frame of the cart and I've found that the cupholder is easier to access from a normal sitting position than the frame of the cart. It's a bit awkward to grab the rangefinder when it's on the frame of a cart and pull it directly to the side (remember, the latch is deep so you can't really pull at any kind of angle to remove it) and then stick it back on the frame when I could just grab it out of the cupholder and then toss it back in afterwords. 

The phone mount we originally thought was going to be a great method for latching your phone to your cart to film your swing, but I found a par of problems with that. While the mount is large enough to fit my Galaxy S8+ with a case on it securely in the provided frame, below you'll see a picture from the perspective on my camera while it's in the frame as well as a picture of the frame itself.

DXegdrP.jpg3V566Ua.jpg

Unfortunately, because the center of the frame is completely solid with no cutouts, there is no way to take images or video and use the phone mount in lieu of some sort of tripod. Another idea proposed among the Newport Cup attendees was to drill a hole through the back of the mount in the location of the camera to fix this issue but, unfortunately for me, the location of the camera on the S8+ ends up nearly directly below the latch on the back of the frame, rendering this solution unfeasible. I could place the phone in the mount backwards to deal with this problem, but ultimately it's easier for me to just use a simple phone tripod, which can be had for $11 including shipping on Amazon. The other advantage of a phone tripod, compared to this, would be that you can more finely adjust the angle.

This isn't entirely fair on the phone mount though, because I'm not really the target consumer for the mount. I rarely ride in a cart, and when I do my phone just gets tossed in a cupholder next to my rangefinder so I don't find it convenient. If you use your phone as a GPS during your round, however, I could see this being very beneficial (and you could possible use the rangefinder strap to mount an external battery or a speaker right next to your phone to charge it or play music if you wanted to). It would hold the phone securely where you can clearly see the screen, so it would be excellent in that purpose (but redundant for me, since I use a rangefinder). 

The towel and brush, however, I use extensively and I love them both. I have been a fan of the Frogger brushes for a long time, and was excited when we received a brush as a gift during the Newport Cup because my old brush (as mentioned in the Latch-It system review) had definitely seen better days. The magnet is the perfect system for attaching a brush or towel to your bag, since it lets you grab it, take it where you need to brush or wipe you club or ball (I like to take my damp towel to the green with me), then just stick it right back on the bag without fiddling with any clips or such nonsense.

The towel itself is that perfect golf towel material with an absorbent weave that retains water well and has a bit of texture for scrubbing clubs clean. It's just the right size so that it doesn't touch the ground when clipped onto the side of my bag, while still being large enough to dampen half of it and leave the other half dry. I like to take my towel with me when I go to putt on the green, and previously I'd cut holes in my towels to place them over my alignment sticks, which meant that sometimes my putter would get buried under the damp towel. With this system I can still just as easily take my towel off my bag and put it back on, but I don't get my nice headcovers damp from having the towel rubbing against them (and the latch is honestly quicker and easier than finding the hole in the towel and sticking my sticks through it). 

The brushes are what every golf brush should aspire to be. They've got a good mix of nylon and copper bristles, so that your brush doesn't immediately flatten out like an all copper brush but also is effective for getting dirt out of grooves (unlike an all nylon brush). It's got a nice groove tool, should any dirt be particularly stubborn, that folds away into the back of the tool when not in use so as to not get in the way. The handle is beefy so it doesn't feel like you're gripping a pencil when scrubbing, you actually have something substantial to hang onto. I've been a fan for years, and the Latch-It system only improves the brush further. If you were to choose only one thing to get from Frogger, definitely get the brush!

Ratings (out of 5):
Latch-It System

Quality: 3.5

My review

The Latch-it System is a cool innovation.  Basically, it's a magnet, where one end is on a piece of equipment while the other end attaches to the bag and/or golf cart.  Pros: It's quick to take equipment off, so helping with pace even if its a few seconds here and there, it adds up; the magnet is strong enough to keep the equipment in place; there is the ability to lock the ends in place so the equipment won't fall off; all the magnets are the same size, so you can attach any piece of equipment to either the screws or velcro holders.  Cons: The magnet attached the equipment is small, really only for the towel, you do take a second or two to find the magnet to re-attach it, so the second gained by snatching it off is lost by putting it back on; the material seems cheap, especially the the screw system that attaches to my bag, it's a soft plastic that seems like it could break easily.

Brush.jpg.3dbffb27243fbdf34835f93f5fa5f16e.jpg

The picture above shows the red mark on the latch-it to indicate the magnet is locked.  The brush is a good brush, it even came with a replacement head, so I'm sure I'll have this around for a while.  No complaints about the brush, and it's definitely nice to have it be removable.  

towel.jpg.1fd83ecf299507ff9e8da5f8dae37a1d.jpg

This is the towel I got.  You can see how small that magnet piece is and considering how big the towel is, it can be hard to find.  It's really wet here in the PNW, so I like to bring this towel out with me from the cart path to clean my ball and club.  So, when I bring the towel back to the cart, instead of just throwing it over my bag, I have to find that small magnet piece and it takes a bit longer than I'd like.  But the towel is a micro-fiber, meaning good for wet weather.  It's always worth having a micro fiber for when you play in wetter weather.

I don't plan on using the phone holder or range finder holder very much.  I don't have my phone out when I play, unless the pace is slow enough that I'll browse through the web or something.  I will say that it would be good if you were using it as a GPS and it's hands-free with the latch it system.  Or people would find it nice on a cart, when you're listening to music.  As far as the range finder holder, I don't think it's necessary.  My bag has a pocket specifically for it and the carts we use have plenty of easily accessible spots.  It is nice, though, that this holder can go around almost anything.  So it'll be useful to keep with me in case I need it.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Ratings (out of 5):
Latch-It System

I'm not a guy who collects golf gadgets, and that's the way I've always viewed the Frogger line of products. Well, I've probably been wrong about this for a while now, and the Newport Cup has changed my mind. Our gift package for the Newport Cup included a golf towel, a club-cleaning brush, and mounting systems for a cell phone and a laser rangefinder. Most important, each of these included a Latch-It attachment. Latch-it is a pretty amazing magnetic fastener that holds your gear securely until you want to use it, and then allows you to easily remove it, use it, and return it. For the towel and brush, the base of the Latch-It is intended to clamp onto your golf bag. You want to clean your club, grab your brush and clean it, then return it. The magnets are strong enough that you don't have to actually insert the “dongle” into the base. Just get it near, and the magnet sucks it in and holds it securely until you need it again.

The attachments for the laser rangefinder and cell phone are intended to strap onto the roof support of your golf cart. You might wonder if a simple magnetic socket could hold your expensive electronics, I definitely did. I was absolutely amazed at how well it worked, no matter how bumpy the terrain I rode over. I tried to take a video, but couldn't hold my phone steady enough. The mount for the rangefinder simply straps onto the device. The phone mount uses a plastic frame with elastic straps to hold the phone. My one complaint is that I can't plug my charger into the phone while its mounted in the frame. As others have said, it doesn't accommodate all phones either.

On each of the Latch-It base units, you can rotate the outer ring of the base unit to lock the dongle in place. From my experience so far, you don't need to lock it, everything has stayed securely.  The plastic locking ring seems just a little flimsy, and one of mine has gone astray somehow, but the rest of the unit functions just fine without it.

As I said earlier, I've always avoided golf gizmos, but I'll be using three of these four. The brush and towel are on my bag now, and I use the rangefinder mount every time I ride. I don't generally take my phone on the course, so that one will remain unused. I do know a couple of guys who will be buying Latch-It mounts for their own gear, after seeing how well it works for me.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Ratings (out of 5):
Latch-It System

Gear

I had no idea what the Latch-it system was before The Newport Cup.  After getting to play with all the different products I came away really impressed.  As mentioned by the others, the products use a very strong but easy to use magnet system along with straps and clamps to easily attach and un-attach different products to your golf bag, cart or (really) whatever you want.  The first thing I tried out when we got our swag was the towel.  I found that it was extremely easy to attach to the bag securely and then pull the towel off and attach back on.  I really was surprised at how strong the magnet is...and how easily it works.

For the other attachments, I haven't tried out the range finder attachment yet since I don't ride carts that often. That being said, I was very skeptical at it's ability to keep locked on and not fall over rough patches.  There was no way I'd risk destroying my range finder.  After watching @coachjimsc's video (below).  I changed my tune.

It really does work.  I'm a believer now.

I've tried the phone holder and it works fine.  I don't see a need to use that one that much though.  Normally, I keep my phone in my back pocket but now that I've upgraded my phone to a larger size I might start using it more.

The brush and groove cleaner is another great addition.  I hit a LOT of golf balls.  Normally I have to go to the little brush stations and use the flimsy plastic brushes.  The new brush is one of the best ones I've ever had and will be using it quite a bit going forward.

Overall, the Frogger golf accessories far exceeded my expectations and will probably be getting a few gifts this season!

• Like 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I will be the first to admit that prior to showing up at the Newport Cup I had only heard of Frogger as the towel company where you could put water on one side and have a dry towel on the other. So it was a very pleasant surprise to see that they have vastly improved their offering to include magnetized towels, phone holders, range finder holders, and brushes. 

When you first get your hands on these items I will be the first to admit they are not immediately intuitive devices. The hook has a locking mechanism where you can turn the knob to lock the item the frogger is holding down. This locking mechanism took me a while to get the hang of. This initial learning period is best defined by the fact that my brush fell out of the holder in the trunk of the car and @Golfingdad stole it by slipping it into his bag. He now has the benefit of a back up courtesy of me. 

After @iacas showed us how the locking mechanism worked I found it extremely helpful for the towel. I like to bring a towel with me to the green sometimes but every so often the towel falls off my bag, with the frogger I get the best of both worlds. I can quickly detach it and take it with me to the green and then lock it when I am done and not worry about losing it. You can tell you have locked it when the little clear portion of the circle looks orange. If it is black or colorless it is open and when it is orange it is locked. Really a slick invention.

IMG_3585.jpeg

The other key benefit of the Frogger system is the attachment to the bag. This comes in handy. I can easily screw the holder onto my bag and the towel is right where I want it to be. The holder was the same for the brush and the towel and only took a second to install. The magnet on the towel was just the right strength. Not too strong, not too weak. 

IMG_3588.jpeg

IMG_3586.jpeg

The phone holder was designed to attached one part to your cart and the other part to hold your phone. The idea being you may use your phone as a GPS and this holder could be made to keep your phone in view as you step out of the cart to hit your shot. I have a different use. 

I use the holder in my car to hold my phone. I attached the velcro end to my air vent and then the phone hangs down perfectly where I can use it as a GPS when I am lost driving. I cut a small hole in the bottom to allow for the charger and I am all set. I really like it.

IMG_3598.jpeg

If I am giving recommendations I would highly recommend the brush, the towel, the phone holder (especially if you use your phone as a GPS or listening to music). I think the magnetized factor allows for easy use and functionality. 

• Like 2

Michael

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, mchepp said:

I use the holder in my car to hold my phone. I attached the velcro end to my air vent and then the phone hangs down perfectly where I can use it as a GPS when I am lost driving. I cut a small hole in the bottom to allow for the charger and I am all set. I really like it.

I might have to try something like this out…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the detailed reviews! Looks like the only downsides are: 1)  it is hard to find the latch it to attach the towel back to the bag and you have to use a towel with a pre made hole. I can probably make something at home that fixes this. Thanks

• iacas featured and unfeatured this topic
Note: This thread is 1710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!