IGNORED

Do You Play the Correct Tees?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Correct Tees?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Per the chart in the first post, do you typically play the "correct tees" for your driver carry yardage?

• Yes, I do.
    • No, I play shorter tees.
    • No, I play longer tees.
  2. 2. In your estimation, what percentage of golfers play tees too long for them?

• 0-15%
    • 16-30%
    • 31-50%
    • 51-70%
    • 71-85%
    • 86-100%

• Administrator

Per this chart, do you play the correct tees?

longleaf.jpg

Here are the tee yardages per the chart above (see the bottom of the chart for 9- and 18-hole yardages):

longleaf_yardage.jpg

In other words, if you carry the ball 200 with your driver and it rolls out to 215 to 220 or so, you should be playing a course that's about 5618 yards. Carry it 225 so it rolls out to nearly 250, and you can move up to 6276. Only those who carry it 250 (total of 270 or so) should play from as far back as 6830.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted no on the first one. Not many courses offer 7000+ yard tee boxes. I tend to play high 6000's. 

I voted 16-30% on the second one. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Myself: Voted "no" for playing the correct tees (between 5,600 and 6,000). While close to half my rounds were within the correct range, many (if not most) were below 5,600 and a few were above 6,000.

Other Golfers: Wasn't sure I should vote on this one because of a lack of experience with others. But 71-85% of those I play with do play from the correct tees in my estimation.

Jon

I play courses about 6,200-6,800 yards, so shorter than my driver distance, but I also don't drive the ball well so the game is hard enough for me without going back farther. Plus, the longest set of tees at four of my five county courses is 6,655. I play Neshanic at 6,600 yards too, not 7,000.

I voted 31-50% based on my experience being paired up with random people every round.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

After coming back to golf as a senior, taking some instruction, and defining my distances, I looked at the USGA recommendations that are similar to the posted chart. I began to play shorter tees than my compadres where the course has the appropriate set up. A couple have joined me a few times. I play around 5600-5800 yards. Otherwise I end up playing 6200-6400 yards. Most everyone I know (1) thinks they hit the ball farther than they do and (2) play tees that make the course too long for their drives. This is a great topic and of great interest to me. Regards, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Er... no, not usually.  I'm somewhere between white and purple at the top, so I should be playing about 5600-6200.  

My home course is a par-71 and a little over 6400 yards at the tees we usually play for tournaments (we're playing about 7000 for next tournament, but that's a once-a-year ... let's say treat ... from the tournament committee that I usually skip).  My favorite non-home but in the same system course is almost 6700 yards.  

I'd move up but my tournaments are played at these tees.

I voted that between 70-85% play the wrong tees.  Including me I guess.

I remember a few years ago we had the "play the forward tees" for a day challenge that was a lot of fun.  I hit 4 GIRs in a row when at a time when I rarely hit 4 GIRs in a round.  That was a fun day.

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I play much shorter tees, and my normal and semi-normal partners do the same. We just enjoy playing those tees and they’re still challenging.

Most regulars play recommended tees, but many that I partner with randomly play too long. They don’t hit many greens.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

To give it a percentage, I’d say I play the appropriate tees about 70% of the time (usually 6,800 to 7,000).  Sometimes I play shorter tees (if everyone in the group is playing a shorter tee, or it’s a course I struggle on) and sometimes longer tees (if it’s not too busy and I want to put myself in situations with a lot of longer approach shots).

Most of the guys I play with play from appropriate tees, but it’s certainly not uncommon to come across players who are definitely playing inappropriate tees.

12 hours ago, Lihu said:

I play much shorter tees, and my normal and semi-normal partners do the same. We just enjoy playing those tees and they’re still challenging.

And I just checked the two courses you told me I should play soon... one is exactly in the range Erik's chart tells me to play and the other is only marginally longer (or much longer, depending on which tees you think I should play on the longer of the two).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

13 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I voted yes and 71-85%. 

Yes, me too...I should have said so in my reply. Thanks, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I prefer to play from the correct yardage, which for me is roughly 6,000 yards. Unfortunately, the home courses are a bit too long to allow that. Even the senior tees clock in over that and I have to play the whites (regular tees) in any actual competition. There are a couple other courses in my rotation that are better suited.

Yep.  As I've gotten a little older, I've become a little more militant about playing tees that are suited to my game, even though the guys I play with are quite a bit longer than me.  I'm a "purple" golfer, and tend to look for tees that are as close to about 6,400 yards as possible, though I'll adjust based on how the par-4's contribute to the overall length of the course.  If I'm hitting hybrids into par-4's all day, it's time to move up.

I'd estimate that a good third of men play from too far back.  Especially younger and/or newer players, and higher handicaps of any age/experience level.  I voted for the 3d option.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

And I just checked the two courses you told me I should play soon... one is exactly in the range Erik's chart tells me to play and the other is only marginally longer (or much longer, depending on which tees you think I should play on the longer of the two).

Except for the first two holes, the shorter course is very challenging. You get two birdie chances on 14 and 16, and possibly 15 depending upon the pin placement.

I'd start off on the 6400 yard tees on the longer course or even the 6000 yard tees if you don't mind being on the "ladies tees". It's far less directionally challenging.

There are four more nice courses close by: Santa Anita, Whittier, San Dimas and Knollwood. One more in between Rancho and Brookside is Wilson/Harding, but is very hilly. Knollwood is very narrow, and I rarely take out driver there. All these are 6400 yard-ish courses which I think you'll like.

Angeles is really tough because it's like a pro course. Very beautiful and one of my favorites now. Fairways roll so much it's tough to keep stuff in play and it's kind of pricey. Hansom Dam is a cheaper and friendlier alternative.

There are also two 9 hole executive courses and a really nice par 3 course nearby as well. There is a grass range at Altadena, but I think I saw a training picture with you on that range?

You'll really enjoy Brookside. I'd start off on course 1 shorter tees. Course 2 has the potential for some high numbers on a few holes though.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My driver carry averages 215-220 and the tees I play at my home course (Whispering Woods in Erie, PA) are 6,034. Interpolating the chart, I am just about perfect. I play with quite a few guys who need to swallow their pride and move up to the senior tees, so I voted 31-50%

Marshall

I play shorter tees, I'm wild enough that it makes up the difference. Altho the other day I played well and didn't have more than a flip wedge into any par 4

Edited by colin007
Spelling

Colin P.

Difficult to answer the first. When I play in the Netherlands at my home course, I play 6750y which is too long compared to my driver distance. But I manage there to play high seventies to low eighties. Here in Spain I play much shorter tees.

I think 50-70% should move up a tee shorter.

Edited by MacDutch

Note: This thread is 1141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!