IGNORED

Left/Right Shot Dispersion- Whats Yours?

HJJ003
Note: This thread is 2291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good Morning from Houston. 

I was supposed to get my Shot Zones mapped this morning but it is now at or below freezing this morning after a cold front blew in so I will be waiting until it warms up a bit. However, I have been thinking A LOT about shot dispersion lately, and was wondering what is normal for different levels of golfers. So what is your shot dispersion (left/right) of your clubs? Are you a fairly consistent percentage throughout your bag (say 10% left or right). Or are you abnormally good or bad with specific clubs in relation to the rest of them (10% with short irons and 25% with driver?). Due to your natural ball flight or stock shot is your dispersion mainly one sided (5% Left, but 15% right because you play a fade?)

I am curious as to what types of shot dispersion different handicaps here on TST have. Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yup, that’s my dispersion these days. Left and right. :-D

For shot zones, it helps to use an app like Game Golf or Arcos.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I play a fade, this is especially true with the driver. My current driver does not go left very often (on purpose) so my shot zone with it reflects that. I have worked for many, many, years to try and eliminate the left side of the golf course. 

I am fairly consistent throughout the bag, all clubs are slightly fade biased, but of course the shorter the club the smaller the shot zone. My only club that has some left in it is my 3 wood, but I recently replaced it and it seems to be getting better. I do not try to move the ball right to left unless I absolutely have to.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Mine are some what left off the tee. Some even look to be on the straighter side of left. My current swing speed is not enough to cause me much grief.

However, I am also quite well trained at hitting one of those excessive fades with my driver of the tee. You know, those big fades that make recovery shots relevant.

Like every one else, the closer to the green I get, the less curve my shots have. 

Consistency is a good thing. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

My stock shot for most clubs is a draw. (If needed, I can hit a cut shot with 9i and wedges).

My shot pattern is the ellipse below, really for Driver through 7i. (The longer the club, the bigger the ellipse).

image.png.4db1ef67dd492193210453ffbbf2de6c.png

Diagonal black line is terminal path of draw, horizontal black line is average distance. Shots to left of blue dot are pulls, shots to right of red dot are pushes.

Prefer push misses, usually have OK distances and settle down in first cut or just off green. Pulls, especially with longer clubs, can fly off wherever.

I usually have a "miss pattern of the day." Push days I break 90, pull days I don't.

Edited by WUTiger
Word omitted.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I hit a fade with the driver down through my 6h (gave up fairway woods and long and mid irons).  7 iron through wedge I tend to pull.

Dangest thing, I am a lifelong slicer which since I’ve gotten a little more focused with the sport now am 37% left, 37% fairway, and 26% right off the tee. 

Love the things I learn fro game golf!

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

From the 3 rounds on my game golf, I'm 49% in the FW, 23% Left, and 29% right.  My 3 wood would definitely miss right, but my driver mostly misses left.  I don't want to say anything too definitive until I get at least 10 rounds in on the device.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2017:

Off the tee (all clubs): 60% FW, 18% left, 22% right

Approach (outside 100yds): 49% <15yds, 21% left, 10% right

Approach (inside 100yds): 65% <15yds, 9% left, 1% right

I don't try to hit a draw or a fade, I just try to reduce a push-slice or pull-hook. I usually align and try to start the ball at the target. On days when my contact is poorer, I have to aim a bit left.

My HC is around 24.

Jon

I haven't looked at my actual shot zone area in a while. I have more of a mental image of what my shot zone typically is for 80-90% of my shots with my clubs. I know were my typical misses are at. 

Driver: More likely to miss it right than left. 
My long irons I am more likely to miss it slightly right over left.
My mid irons I have more distance control issues versus missing right or left. My game golf shows very low percentage right or left of <15 yards of the pin 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have an hour booked on a Trackman at noon today. The pro is going to help me get familiar with the system and make sure I get all the numbers I am needing. Seems like a nice guy. At $40 bucks for an hour it is putting a pretty huge dent in my golf budget this month, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I will let y'all know what my shot dispersions look like!

For years my shot dispersion was a draw with my driver and woods. My irons were high and straight. Right now my misses are usually a fade or a slight pull. My irons are still high and usually straight. The last three or four years my game is not what I would call golf, It would be FLOG. Very hard to accept this but I am trying to correct it enough to be acceptable. 

On 1/15/2018 at 11:04 AM, HJJ003 said:

I have an hour booked on a Trackman at noon today. The pro is going to help me get familiar with the system and make sure I get all the numbers I am needing. Seems like a nice guy. At $40 bucks for an hour it is putting a pretty huge dent in my golf budget this month, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I will let y'all know what my shot dispersions look like!

Thats not a bad deal for an hour. I cant find any simulators around me that are cheaper than $60/hour :(

I like the format that @JonMA1 used so I'm copying it

2017:

Off the tee (all clubs): 39% FW, 27% left, 35% right

Approach (outside 100yds): 36% <15yds, 9% left, 19% right

Approach (inside 100yds): 74% <15yds, 0% left, 2% right

Whoa. I really need to work on a one way miss off the tee. If I didnt have these stats, I would have guessed it was like 50% to the right off the tee but clearly that isnt the case. 

The approach ones dont really surprise me, if the ball isnt straight it fades.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

My standard mis is left. About 80% of my misses are left. I think i Will get better with my new ordered woods with a Fade setting. On trackman my results were great. Did a session 3 times. Never had an average carry distance off 238 m (not yards) before. 

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

On 1/12/2018 at 6:55 AM, Lihu said:

Yup, that’s my dispersion these days. Left and right. :-D

For shot zones, it helps to use an app like Game Golf or Arcos.

image.thumb.png.72eba62b47f44871f22b7709090845d6.png

Edited by Lihu
Used last round which was with 3W off the tee. . .
  • Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Driver/Woods/longIrons: 90% of my shots are inside 10% of dispersion. Example, for a 200 yards shot 90% of my shots are inside 20 yards rigth or left of the target.
Mid/ShortIrons: 90% of my shots are inside 8% of dispersion.
Wedges: 90% of my shots are inside 7% of dispersion.    

Well my driver is currently out of commission (I discuss that in another thread), but my shot zone for my 3 wood was 65 yards wide! And that only accounting for 80% of my shots like LSW suggests ( I am a 90s shooter). Is that abnormally large or about right?

Note: This thread is 2291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!