IGNORED

2018 Tiger Debut - San Diego Open (Farmer's Insurance)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger's 2018 Debut  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Tiger finish in his 2018 debut?

• WD in first two rounds
    • MCs
    • Makes cut, WD in last two rounds
    • Makes cut, finishes 50th+
    • Finishes middle third (25th to 50th, roughly)
    • Top 20
    • Top 10
    • Top 5
    • Wins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/26/2018 at 06:16 PM

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

I don’t know the percentages on fir and gir for Tiger, but they are bad. Still he is at -3 for the tournament. I think this tells a lot about his shortgame.

Imagine his score if he would be hitting fairways. I think this tournament is a big succes for him. Could still end up top 20.

When he has his distance control has been off, though, too. So almost about the same.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/26/2018 at 4:31 PM, Yukari said:

Well at least he is playing this weekend.

What a squeaker. With few exceptions, Eldrick is playing the B players this week, and ends up on the cut line. Let's see what happens when he plays the big boys at Riveria.

23 minutes ago, Ping said:

What a squeaker. With few exceptions, Eldrick is playing the B players this week, and ends up on the cut line. Let's see what happens when he plays the big boys at Riveria.

Disagree - there's enough decent players out there and they aren't miles ahead of him. In his group, you had Patrick Reed, who we know is hot and cold, but can go low, whilst Hoffman has had great showings at the Masters and the US Open. J.B. Holmes has had top fives at the Open and the Masters (IIRC), Noren was top ten for most of last year, Rahm's could go number 1 if he were to win, and Mickelson, Rose and Day are hardly bad players. I could go on...

I get what you're saying in that it's not the strongest field, but it's hardly a weak one... Sure, he made the cut by one, but I think 4 shots off Jon Rahm, for example, represents a decent week.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

1 hour ago, Ping said:

I’d say A- players. ;). Looks like there are 4 of the top 10 there and one of them could be number 1 with a win today (Rahm).

It doesn’t matter though because considering his age and rust, Tiger is a B player as well anyway. ?

It doesn't matter how he plays, unless he's been doing it for a good while. First time the GOAT is playing in years is a big deal, no matter where he end up. Everyone is interested in seeing how he plays and what to expect this year.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

I’d say A- players. ;). Looks like there are 4 of the top 10 there and one of them could be number 1 with a win today (Rahm).

It doesn’t matter though because considering his age and rust, Tiger is a B player as well anyway. ?

To quote Clemenza, you won't be seeing him no more.

Doesn't look like there are a lot of birdies out there today. Course playing tough and Tiger has moved into the top 20, as predicted. :-D

Bill M

Just now, phan52 said:

To quote Clemenza, you won't be seeing him no more.

Doesn't look like there are a lot of birdies out there today. Course playing tough and Tiger has moved into the top 20, as predicted. :-D

Yeah he kinda blew it on the last couple holes yesterday.

JB Holmes on the other hand ... he’s started out birdie birdie today and they said that’s now 9 birdies on his last 10 holes.

Has anybody told HIM that this is a difficult US Open course?  He didn’t seem to get the memo.

Tiger looking awfully good today.  (Or, better, anyways). Each round progressively better thus far.   Still wild off the tee, but that approach game is dialed in.

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

3 minutes ago, lastings said:

Tiger looking awfully good today.  (Or, better, anyways). Each round progressively better thus far.   Still wild off the tee, but that approach game is dialed in.

That ability to hole a putt under pressure helps as well! He's leant on his short game a lot over the last few days.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

3 hours ago, Ping said:

Who would even suggest this is the B players? Just because all the A guys aren’t there doesn’t make this an easy tournament.   There is still an abundance of talent here.    Pretty standard event.   There’s only a couple tournaments all year, other than the majors that everyone shows up to. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I’ve always liked Jason Day, it’s good to see him playing well again. 

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Not a terrible week for Tiger. He'll need to fix that driver for Riviera, but it's good to have him back.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator

Nailed it! :-)

(Thank goodness for "roughly".)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What the hell was JB Holmes doing? Needed an eagle for the playoff and he takes 5 minutes and hits the worst layup possible. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Why did Noren drop about 20-30yds to the side of where his ball went? 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Like watching paint dry...especially when contrasted with the Haotung/McIlroy finish.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• Administrator
1 minute ago, klineka said:

Why did Noren drop about 20-30yds to the side of where his ball went? 

Nearest point of relief.

It was behind the tv tower and grandstands.

Note: This thread is 2286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!