IGNORED

2018 Tiger Debut - San Diego Open (Farmer's Insurance)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger's 2018 Debut  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Tiger finish in his 2018 debut?

• WD in first two rounds
    • MCs
    • Makes cut, WD in last two rounds
    • Makes cut, finishes 50th+
    • Finishes middle third (25th to 50th, roughly)
    • Top 20
    • Top 10
    • Top 5
    • Wins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/26/2018 at 06:16 PM

• Administrator
Just now, Club Rat said:

Tiger tees it up at 10:40 on the South Course with Hoffman and Reed.

First groups out today in a half hour at 9 am Pacific time.

Today is Wednesday.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Had a "Brain Fart", guess I'm excited about him back in action....  :-)

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

11 minutes ago, klineka said:

First groups out today do you mean for their final practice rounds? I thought the actual tournament started tomorrow?

I think there's a pro am today

3 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I still find it visually jarring with the way he seemingly stands up and pulls off the ball through impact... Alot of timing must be going on there.  But based on how he played at the Hero challenge, Im fully expecting Tiger to finish in the top 20. Possibly even top 10 if he drives it well. 

It's that old man finish where he comes out of his flexion a bit earlier. But it's still well after impact, so no timing needed since the ball is long gone.

Colin P.

So apparently he has been playing 6 days a week in preparation for this tournament.  I am even more optimistic that he will contend this week.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I voted top 20, but my heart wanted to vote for a win. I hope he really comes back for awhile, has more moments of greatness. He's so fun to watch when he's on. There's nothing like it.

19 hours ago, Yukari said:

So apparently he has been playing 6 days a week in preparation for this tournament.  I am even more optimistic that he will contend this week.

Doesn't mean those 6 days a week where any good..lol. But being that he came off the bench cold at the hero challenge and played a game resembling a professionals, i think Tiger has a chance to contend. More likely though, he'll make the cut and finsh someplace in the teens or 20's. That will be a success for him, i think. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

I voted MC. I think he'll have flashes of brilliance, but will get in trouble with the big stick. Practice round score was 70 on North Course in easy conditions and he only hit 4 fairways.

By the way, here's a webcam on Torrey as light grows.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/273

Edited by chspeed

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I voted MC. I think he'll have flashes of brilliance, but will get in trouble with the big stick. Practice round score was 70 on North Course in easy conditions and he only hit 4 fairways.

Rex (GCTigerTracker) said that his misses were by feet, though, and he wasn't reading any putts or anything like that. It's a pro-am… they're just slapping it around a bit.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A little breezy, but very good conditions

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 10.36.46 AM.png

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Rex (GCTigerTracker) said that his misses were by feet, though, and he wasn't reading any putts or anything like that. It's a pro-am… they're just slapping it around a bit.

Just read that somewhere too. And although he missed a lot of greens, sounds like his chipping was solid. That's good news.

'In his prime, Woods epitomized the phrase “horses for courses,” the idea that certain golfers are especially well suited for certain courses. Though he proved he could win just about anywhere, 42 of his 79 PGA Tour wins (53%) have come on just seven courses. Twenty-four of those wins, or 30%, have come at Torrey Pines, Bay Hill in Orlando and Firestone in Akron, Ohio.'

30% on 3 courses. That's amazing.

From article in WSJ on whether Tiger's game is still suited for Torrey: https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-tiger-woods-still-built-for-torrey-pines-1516812606

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, chspeed said:

'In his prime, Woods epitomized the phrase “horses for courses,” the idea that certain golfers are especially well suited for certain courses. Though he proved he could win just about anywhere, 42 of his 79 PGA Tour wins (53%) have come on just seven courses. Twenty-four of those wins, or 30%, have come at Torrey Pines, Bay Hill in Orlando and Firestone in Akron, Ohio.'

Thing is… stuff like that is bound to happen given that the PGA Tour tends to visit the same courses each year, in the same times, and his schedule with ramp-ups for the majors has pretty much been the same most years.

He tends to play the same courses. I think he's capable of winning at ANY course, so calling him a "horse for courses" or whatever is not quite right.

He's a horse for ANY course. It's just that, when you win as much as he has, AND the PGA Tour visits the same courses often… you'll tend to rack up wins on those courses, too.

That's not to say at all that he doesn't play a little bit better at those courses, but, I think sometimes this is overstated.

(Speaking generally, not at you @chspeed.)

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

I saw something that said he had 3 pars, 3 birdies and 3 bogeys on his first 9 and went 3/9 on GIR. Thats pretty good to have 33% GIR and shoot even par, even if it was only for 9 holes.

He also went eagle-birdie on his last two holes. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

8 minutes ago, Eric C said:

Anyone know where/if the Farmer's is being streamed, other than PGA Tour Live? I'm not paying for yet another subscription ...

Thursday’s first-round coverage

Television:

3 to 7 p.m. ET — Golf Channel

Online streams:

11:45 a.m. ETPGA Tour Live starts with coverage from range and opening holes

Featured Groups (PGA Tour Live subscription required)

• 12:30 p.m. ET — Rickie Fowler / Patrick Cantlay / Xander Schauffele
  • 12:40 p.m. ET — Justin Rose / Hideki Matsuyama / Phil Mickelson
  • Bonus coverage of Tiger Woods round starting at 1:40 p.m. ET

3 to 7 p.m. ET PGA Tour Live featured holes coverage (No subscription required)

3 to 7 p.m. ETGolf Channel simulcast stream

Radio:

1 to 7 p.m. ET — PGA Tour Radio on Sirius-XM (Ch. 92/208 and streamed here)

Edited by chspeed
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

I predict top 20. Tiger picked a good spot to return, on courses where players will have to grind it out and it will be hard for anybody to create separation, and he also has had good vibes.

Bill M

Here we go!!!!!!!!!!

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Bogey on #1.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Note: This thread is 2271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!