IGNORED

Shot Timing

fishgolf
Note: This thread is 2256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One of the guys in the pool of players we play with takes a really long time (IMHO) setting up/addressing and hitting the ball.  Except for cases where it starts holding up the groups behind, I just take a deep breath, remember that I'm now retired, and go with it.  But, it got me to thinking about my own shot time and whether my sequence bothers others.  I timed myself at the range going through my normal routine on the tee box and it averaged about 27 seconds from tee-up to tee pick up.  Fairway shots about 20 seconds. This compared to ~55 seconds the guy in the group takes.  I should probably note that I like to play fast and have always been a bit sub conscious about not wanting to be a slow poke :-D.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

I am the least deliberate golfer I know; but I make up my mind before I set up to the ball.  When my turn comes around; there isn't anything left to think about other than making a good pass.  

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wish others would also look at the time they take to hit when it is their turn. This game can be less than 4 hours if everyone played ready golf and hit the ball when it was their turn in less the 45 seconds. It is not hard to do and I know most people try to keep up with the group in front of them, yet most weekends it takes  more than four hours. I played in a senior tournament every Monday at my course and it took 5/5 1/2 hours for a round. After putting up with that for over a year I quit and moved to another course. So far every round has been under four hours. 

We figured this out the other day. From start of pre-shot to the finish of the follow through, and 85 strokes, it averages out to under 60 minutes of actual golf. 

What happens the the other 3-4 hours is beyond our control. :whistle:

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

One of my playing partners addresses the ball then spends at least 30 seconds thinking about his shot waggling his club. This is on drives, fairway woods, irons, no matter what. I've asked him what he is thinking about and he says the shot. By the way once he hits his shot he usually screws it up, I think it is because he is thinking too much. But I can't break him of the habit, very frustrating.

• Administrator

55 seconds or so is probably far too long.

When I last timed my routine it was about 25 seconds.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yea, 55 seconds is a long time. I am around the 25-30 second mark. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Routine? What's that? ;-)

I might take all of 10 seconds to hit a ball.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

To put that in perspective.  (assuming he shoots 90), one guy in your group is using up 80 minutes of a 4 hour round on just his set-up and swings.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, lastings said:

To put that in perspective.  (assuming he shoots 90), one guy in your group is using up 80 minutes of a 4 hour round on just his set-up and swings.   

Not quite. I'm sure he doesn't take 50 seconds for his 8-11 tap-ins. :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

How long have you been playing with J.B. Holmes? 

Anywho, I take about 20-25 seconds from the time I pull the club until I pull the trigger. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I generally take too long, and it's the lack of a good pre-shot routine. It's something I need to work on - if I could set myself properly, and I'm sure I'd be able to just pull the trigger. 

I don't know how long I take. But I can tell you I'm probably one of the shortest shot routine people out there. I grab my club, address, look up one time, and swing. No real waggle, zero practice swings. Just step up and hit. I started enjoying golf a lot more when I stopped taking practice swings and waggling and crap. Been doing it this way for a couple years now, probably.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Watching someone take 55 seconds to hit a shot is like water torture. I think it should take you less than 30 seconds to hit a shot, and some of that time should be during other people's swing/ball flight. When it's your turn to hit, you should be addressing the ball and ready to pull the trigger in my book.

I just watched a tee shot on my Newport Cup video, and it took me 15 seconds from hitting record to hitting the shot. That's with two practice swings and taking a couple of seconds to pick out my line.

• Like 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

22 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Watching someone take 55 seconds to hit a shot is like water torture. I think it should take you less than 30 seconds to hit a shot, and some of that time should be during other people's swing/ball flight. When it's your turn to hit, you should be addressing the ball and ready to pull the trigger in my book.

I just watched a tee shot on my Newport Cup video, and it took me 15 seconds from hitting record to hitting the shot. That's with two practice swings and taking a couple of seconds to pick out my line.

This^^.  Unless my ball is in another player's line of play, I will have picked my aiming point and be setting up to the ball while his shot is still in the air.  In something like 5-10 seconds after he hits, my ball is on the way. 

Even if I can't actually be going through my full routine while he plays, I'll still try to get my distance, pick a club, note the wind and lie, and generally be ready to walk up to my ball and hit as soon as he plays.  I can't imagine taking more than 30 seconds for the whole procedure. 

One comment - I don't have to be standing over my ball to get a good distance check.  I can easily estimate 5-10 yards (and none of us needs to know it closer than 1 or 2 yards anyway), so I can stay back even with him and still have my distance and pull a club ahead of time without being his way.  A few seconds saved here and there by each player adds up over 18 holes.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

This^^.  Unless my ball is in another player's line of play, I will have picked my aiming point and be setting up to the ball while his shot is still in the air.  In something like 5-10 seconds after he hits, my ball is on the way.

If true, that's ridiculously fast yes.

In theory, cool. In practice, though, my pre-shot routine takes 25 seconds or so, and starts after I've identified that their shot - which I'm watching as a dutiful and respectful playing partner - is going to be okay.

When I was a kid we'd often have two balls in the air at the same time in a group, we'd hit so quickly after another player hit. But as an adult, I watch the balls of other players, then start my pre-shot routine. It's not long, but there's no way that I could ever hit five seconds after someone else has hit. I'm watching their shot to help them out. Even if they stripe it, it takes two seconds to recognize that, then the pre-shot routine.

Note: This thread is 2256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!