IGNORED

Your Greatest Athletic Achievements (Non-Golf)

HJJ003
Note: This thread is 1836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Obviously, this forum is a great resource of Golf knowledge and people getting better at Golf. However, I know many of us were not "golfers first", and competed and succeeded (maybe even at high levels) in other sports. I thought it would be cool to hear what sports others here excelled in, so lets do it! If you post about your greatest non-golf achievement (or achievements) please give us the following:

1) The sport you competed in

2) Your position/event if applicable

3) Your achievement or achievements you want to passively (or not so passively ) brag about!

I will start!

1) My Sport: Track and Field

2) Long Jumper/ Sprinter

3) Achievements I am proud of: 

- 3 Time High School State Champion (100m, 200m, Long Jump)

- Div 1 Scholarship Athlete

- All Conference Athlete (LJ and 4*1 relay)

- Jumped nearly 25 feet in the Long Jump 

- Qualified for Preliminary rounds of NCAA D1 Championships in 3 events (LJ, 100, 4*1)

- Finished as 32nd best LJ in NCAA

Ok time to hear from you! What did you accomplish? 

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1) Baseball

2) Left-handed Pitcher

3) The achievement I am most proud of is that I was a walk on throwing around 80 mph with my fastball as a freshman in college and by my senior year I had earned a scholarship, was captain, and was consistently touching 90 mph and had numerous MLB teams come to watch/scout me.

Another achievement I am proud of is winning the championship of my summer league in Wyoming between my Junior and Senior years of college. I pitched really well that summer including multiple 10+ strikeout games and a complete game win in front of a huge crowd in the first game of the best of 3 championship series. Struck out the best hitter in the league 4 times and after the 4th one he snapped his wooden bat in half on the ground :whistle: 

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I guess I only really have two things one was an organized sport (swimming) the other non (weight lifting/powerlifting). First was deadlifting 2.5x my body weight, not all the impressive but I was pretty proud of that.

The other has more of a story attached to it, I joined a college club swim team turning D3 having never swam competitively before because I had some interest (swam all the relays, distance events, and the breast stroke). Since we were in a transition period we were not allowed to compete in the division championships, we ended up being able to attend an MIT invitational meet. I was told my times weren't fast enough to swim the 1000 free during the event and had to swim it during the mile (1650), I ended up beating a few of the people which made me feel pretty good about myself given everyone else pretty much swam their whole lives and told I wasn't fast enough.

3 minutes ago, JxQx said:

The other has more of a story attached to it, I joined a college club swim team turning D3 having never swam competitively before because I had some interest (swam all the relays, distance events, and the breast stroke). Since we were in a transition period we were not allowed to compete in the division championships, we ended up being able to attend an MIT invitational meet. I was told my times weren't fast enough to swim the 1000 free during the event and had to swim it during the mile (1650), I ended up beating a few of the people which made me feel pretty good about myself given everyone else pretty much swam their whole lives and told I wasn't fast enough.

Awesome. Sometimes the most meaningful accomplishments are when people doubt you, and then you prove them wrong anyways. Thanks for sharing. 

I was not a golfer first, either. Though i played when i was a teenager, i didn't really take up golf seriously until after college. 

Baseball - SS/2D base 

The only thing that sticks out to me is when I hit a HR off a guy that eventually made it to the bigs. I forget his name but he was a relief guy for the Tigers for a few years. Sucka thought i was going to take a 3-1 fastball and i belted that shit. ( i was supposed to take it, i ignored the sign..lol) I never won any awards for my play or anything, but i did get drafted by the Cardinals in the 51st round one year. But just about anyone who hits over .300 in D1 gets drafted, so I'm not sure how much of a achievement that was.. I was one of three guys on the team that got drafted that year and one of them was a guy we called "E4". You can guess what that means..

• Upvote 1

Once I knocked over two targets in one of those baseball throwing carnival games with a single ball and won a goldfish.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I am not athletic at all. I got down to a sub 19 5K. That's all I got.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm as athletic as a wet sock, so nothing at any kind of really competitive level.

1) Softball

2) First Base

3) After baseball in my younger days, the non-varsity track athletes mostly played slow-pitch softball in the summers. The one bit of skill I did have was hitting singles and for the five years or so that I played, I averaged .750. Only slow-pitch so It was always easy for me to find the weak link and hit a pitch where it needed to go. 

Edited by mcanadiens

Swimming for five years (1969 - 1974).  Water is thicker than air.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1) Lacrosse

2) Midfield

3) Always a baseball player growing up with tons of trophies, awards, and accomplishments.  However, the best accomplishment was deciding in my junior year of High School to play Lacrosse instead of Baseball.  Never played before, just picked up the game.  Started off as the 5th line midfield and by the middle of the year I was on the 2nd line middies and played man down defense.  Getting PT was my goal from day 1.  My High School team went on to win the state championship that year and it was the only time that I was on a high school team that won anything.  I wasn't the close to the best player on the team, but within 1 season I was a contributor to a championship and would get a good share of playing time.  It was a great feeling to be a contributor to a top class team.  I played the following year and improved my skills and was on the 1st line but we lost some of are all americans...so we didn't win the state championship again...I did get a few letters from Colleges to come and play Lax at their schools which I never went through with because of various reasons.  But, I was proud of myself to pick up a brand new sport and worked hard to improve to a level where I was a major part of our team.

• Like 1

Midnight Lightning V8 rating on Hueco scale. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Lightning_(bouldering)

Took me over 100+ tries in 10 trips to the valley and I got it by almost pure luck, but I stuck it.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I am one of those "jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none" types guys when it comes to sports.  I can do a lot of thing kind of decently but nothing really stands out.  I have a 279 bowling game to my credit but not a 300.  I was a high school all-star in baseball but never played in college.  I can get down a black diamond run on skis and can cruise down blues on a snowboard.  I can solve a Rubik's cube in under 2 minutes.

My only real "achievement" hasn't come yet but hopefully will in May ... a black belt in karate. :beer:

18 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

My only real "achievement" hasn't come yet but hopefully will in May ... a black belt in karate. :beer:

Nice! JKA Shotokan? 

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't have any noteworthy achievements, though I consider myself a good athlete.  Kinda like @Golfingdad.  Baseball and football captain in high school.  Baseball was my best sport, though I was a better pitcher than hitter and I tore my labrum junior year playing football.  I was a league starter sophomore year, and jumped 5+ mph over that season.  I was throwing 80+ with a good 2-seamer and curveball, sitting people down my 16 yo summer season.  Still wish I'd seen where I coulda taken that...

So anyway, I ended up a weak armed D3 outfielder.  I'm a decent but not excellent surfer.  Quite a good skier.  Never done extreme backcountry, but I can't find anywhere off-piste on a resort I don't want to ski.  Decent golfer.  Did a lot of partner acrobatics with my wife until we had a kid.  Progressed to working on, but never mastering, hand to hand, mastering a bunch of other fun tricks on the way.

• Like 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

4 hours ago, Lihu said:

Nice! JKA Shotokan? 

No, actually it’s actually an amalgam that our Grand Master put together himself (I think) called Mugen Bujutsu.  I say karate for simplicity but it’s actually a mix of karate, taekwondo, jujitsu, hapkido and kickboxing.

The upside is that you learn a huge variety of stuff, with the obvious downside being that it takes a lot longer to master anything because there is so much material.

The best part, for me, though is that this is something that is (was) so far out of my comfort zone when I started.  Never in a million years would I have considered martial arts or combat sports (we do a lot of sparring :)) something I was even remotely interested in.  I just kind of happened into it but now wouldn’t trade it for anything. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

No, actually it’s actually an amalgam that our Grand Master put together himself (I think) called Mugen Bujutsu.  I say karate for simplicity but it’s actually a mix of karate, taekwondo, jujitsu, hapkido and kickboxing.

The upside is that you learn a huge variety of stuff, with the obvious downside being that it takes a lot longer to master anything because there is so much material.

The best part, for me, though is that this is something that is (was) so far out of my comfort zone when I started.  Never in a million years would I have considered martial arts or combat sports (we do a lot of sparring :)) something I was even remotely interested in.  I just kind of happened into it but now wouldn’t trade it for anything. :)

It’s fun. Kind of like golf for me. Never would have thought I’d be doing it. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Not my greatest athletic achievement, but my favorite one: I dunked on some friends while playing basketball. First and last time I've ever been able to do it. That was nine years and about seventy pounds ago! 

Edited by jbishop15

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Bowled a 300.

I'have always been a combination of too lazy and unmotivated to achieve any real success in sports.  I definitely had the talent though.

Note: This thread is 1836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!