IGNORED

Why Don’t More Players (Pro & Am) Use a 2-Iron Off the Tee?

Note: This thread is 2147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
6 hours ago, ncates00 said:

On the other hand, go check out Richie Hunt's (3jack) research on the matter.  He is a boss with the stats and works with Tour players.

So are/do we.

And you're a 10 handicapper. You're not a PGA Tour player. You likely have a larger dispersion with your driver than you seem to understand.

Look, I'm a big fan of hitting driver whenever possible. But sometimes it's the wrong play. You can read about it in LSW.

6 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Pulling driver just for your fear of dispersion isn't a strong case.

You two are talking past each other.

He's talking about "eggs" which are how we tell people to build what we call "Decision Maps." You're assuming he's never hitting driver, or something.

Like I said… you're talking past each other. You both have different pictures or ideas in your mind and are applying what each other says to that (different) picture.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/22/2018 at 6:31 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Long story short, it's because most ams can't hit a 2 iron worth crap! Why do you think I switched to a 2 hybrid over 20 years ago? I couldn't get the iron up in the air!

Seems like most of us knew that answer immediately.

What club speed does it take anyway to make it work? I noticed the stats table from the OP doesn't show that.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

6 hours ago, iacas said:

So are/do we.

And you're a 10 handicapper. You're not a PGA Tour player. You likely have a larger dispersion with your driver than you seem to understand.

Look, I'm a big fan of hitting driver whenever possible. But sometimes it's the wrong play. You can read about it in LSW.

You two are talking past each other.

He's talking about "eggs" which are how we tell people to build what we call "Decision Maps." You're assuming he's never hitting driver, or something.

Like I said… you're talking past each other. You both have different pictures or ideas in your mind and are applying what each other says to that (different) picture.

Bingo. 

Driver sometimes, as highlighted in LSW is the wrong play. But there is also an entire chapter devoted to getting properly fit for the driver.

The more distance you can gain (safely) the better. Of course, you don't want to hit it when 90% of the time, your dispersion and shot pattern is going to put you in hazards, OB, and basically where you're in the shit. Penalty strokes, chip-out, and unplayable lies are no fun. 

If your shot zone includes light rough and fairway. Light rough is a very light shade. Driving is an SV4 skill for a reason, you have more to gain with adequate distance, than with hitting 2-irons down the fairway all day.

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Interesting topic!  Just for fun last year, I took an old 3 iron, lengthened it to a 2 iron in my specs, had it bent to my specs for a 2-iron (using Titleist standard as the baseline).  Off the tee, it is amazing and more accurate than my hybrid.  Very useful on tight tee shots.  But it is not for fairway use as the club now has negative bounce lol.  Great penetrating trajectory too.

Cost to me = 0 for the club, $2 for the shaft extension (which I had an extra one already), 0 for the grip (as I got a free one someplace) plus $5 for the bending.  Didn't count glue, solvent or tape as I already had.  Did all work myself except for the bending.  Not bad :)

Edited by paperclip

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

I'm not saying you should just bomb away every hole.  I just think the take less than driver approach is greatly overstated, especially for dispersion reasons.  On a tight, tree-lined hole, I'm taking driver all day.  I'm not going with a hybrid or a fairway wood, because I "feel" I will hit it straighter, when in reality I don't really.  On my GC2, I see my tendencies with the off-line stat and I know where my miss is.  I carry my driver about 250 on average, so if there is a fairway bunker on the right (or a pond, or a dogleg that I'm not getting my turn for, or whatever) about 250-280 away, I'll probably hit 3 wood or 5 wood, because my miss is a block to the right and the trouble is in my range with that club.  Taking less club in an instance like that makes sense to me and I would agree.  I think there are many variables to look at and that more often than not, driver is still the play.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I carry my driver about 250 on average

Not according to your GameGolf statistics..:whistle:

14 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I think there are many variables to look at and that more often than not, driver is still the play.

That sums up my exact thoughts on this. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

23 minutes ago, klineka said:

Not according to your GameGolf statistics..:whistle:

LOL, that was about a year to two years ago and the average was 241.  I didn't say I carry the ball about 250 on average to brag.  That's not long.  I'm one of the shorter hitters that I play with.  My brother-in-law carries the ball out there about 280 verified on my GC2 (and the local trackman).  The last time we played 9 I had GC2 driver carry numbers of 249, 263, 237, 241, 255, and 247.  You also see some shots that went 85 and 125 yards too.  I had a complete swing overhaul.  Really, bro?  I have drastically changed my swing to hit UP on the ball, bought a GC2 (which I take out to the course with me to look at my tee shots mostly), and have taken a some lessons down at Scott Hamilton's academy in Cartersville.  I have also gotten much much stronger with my powerlifting and been using Super Speed golf workouts.  My handicap is also lower than my 10 listed here (got it down to about 8 a few months ago), but since you checked me out, you'll also see that I joined this site years ago but have been very inactive.  But fair play to you, I'd check out people's stuff too.  

Edited by ncates00

In 1971 I played in "The Open" using just irons.  Really. The course was not excessively long and it worked out quite well.  My drives were, consistently, 30-40 yards shorter than others.  Mine were in the fairway and not in the trees or OB.  The course may not have been long but it was tight.   Had a great time and lots of good memories. 

And, no, it wasn't the U.S. Open, rather, I was playing with a European amature's license and a very low handicap and I was invited to play in a country in.... Europe... as a U.S. representative.    

Regardless, the reason most people don't play a 2 iron is simple: they can't hit it.   Nothing more or less.   It really is that simple.

Enjoy

Edited by altos

I don't carry a 2i. I do carry a 2h which I use sometimes off the tee.

There are a few holes at the courses I play regularly that call for it for one reason or another.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 3/26/2018 at 2:06 PM, inthecup said:

You make an assumption that all off line shots land in the rough.  Not on the courses I play.  There are traps, water, heather, woods and a little rough.  Here in an overhead of my home course. ...

I have been practicing my 2 hybrid all winter and I am planning on pulling it more often.

In October I played in senior division of the area MAGA Championship at Aberdeen GC. This linkish layout has a curious mix of problems in the roughline amid the holes. Early flat fairway bunkers turned into horrendous deep cross bunkers about the 6th hole, and various waste areas and meandering creeks joined in. Plenty of adventure if you missed the fairway such as noted below.

On 3/26/2018 at 3:55 PM, klineka said:

If the heather/rough at times is so thick that there is a reasonable chance it will result in a lost ball, then that should considered the "O.B." with regards to your shot planning.

The "so thick" is exacerbated by the linkish layout, with treeless hundred yard rough stretches of featureless terrain... nothing you can use to mark your ball position. Plus, we didn't have hundreds of PGA spectators lining the holes who can run to and surround your wayward shot.

One playing partner for two days had a 12 HDCP. In Round 1 he shot a  92, collecting several double bogies after gusting winds blew drives off the fairway. On Day 2, he teed off with a low-launching 3H on any hole that had a hint of trouble. He shot a 78!

On several holes, this meant he had a 6i into the green rather than a 9i, but the lower lofted club held the wind better on approaches.

Sometimes you have to leave orthodoxy in the bag and go with what works.

Edited by WUTiger

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

It's just because specially for am players the result is much more consistent with a hybrid than with an iron. Think it's the same for tour pro's. it's just the way it is.You should look more at the off center hits and look at those results between iron and hybrid. 

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

• 2 months later...

So today when i went out and played 9 holes with my dad, i didnt use my driver or 3 wood... i used my 2 iron, ( i've done this before with good results )   and over all, for the 9 holes i played bogey ball...  on the longer holes i was still hitting a 3 or 4 iron for my 2nd shot, buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, i was hitting from the fairway / 1st cut and hitting the ball to a wedge shot....   

and off the tee, i was keeping the ball in the fairway a lot more, where as with my driver, i am just all over the place...   hitting from the fairway or first cut, was a lot better than searching for a ball on another fairway or taking a drop cuz you cant find the ball....  

It is what it is

I used to prefer driving irons until I realized how much hybrids have to offer.

Hybrids can hit out of rougher lies and fly high and land softer on greens.  They can fly lower in windy conditions if you change the swing.

That said, some people simply hit driving irons better than hybrids because of the shorter shaft and smaller head.

Drivers, woods, hybrids, driving irons, none is better, all have a place for the right player in the right situation.

Edited by GOATee

Note: This thread is 2147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!