IGNORED

Levels of Play Among Amateurs

Patch
Note: This thread is 2184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After reading another thread, I thought about this. 

The professional ranks of golfers are not to be considered amateurs. The biggest reason I guess is they play for pay. 

Amateurs on the other hand, make up a much larger portion of all the golfers world wide. 

Now my question is this. Are there golfers out there, who should not even be considered an amateur? The golfer who plays, several times a year, but does not keep a handicap. The golfer who plays once a month, or less. Maybe doesn't even bother to keep score. Should these golfers be considered amateurs? I suppose in the strictest since of the definition they might be considered amateurs. Or, should they just be considered "just" a golfer

On the other hand, you have the serious golfer who plays multiple times weekly. Who pays to play in amature tournaments. Who carries an updated handicap. Is this golfer the true amateur?

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Both players are amateurs. Amateurs are simply golfers that are not paid to play, or teach/run golf courses. People on Tour are "Tour Pros" not just Pros. You and I are amateur golfers, and so are 30+ cappers. We just have different abilities which is why we often classify them by handicap levels (Scratch, low caps, mid caps, high caps, etc..)

15 minutes ago, Patch said:

The golfer who plays, several times a year, but does not keep a handicap. The golfer who plays once a month, or less. Maybe doesn't even bother to keep score.

Those kind of players, like the guys that only play golf in scramble format tournaments once or twice a year and only shows up to smoke cigars and drink beers, are not golfers IMO (not that there's anything wrong with that). They're just people who happen to play golf. I go fishing occasionally or play chess, but I wouldn't consider myself a fisherman or a chess player.

As for golfers being considered amateurs, that's actually a defined term. People are considered amateurs if they satisfy the conditions for amateur status. It has nothing to do with skill level or passion for the game.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

According to the USAG,

Rule 1 - Amateurism

1-1. General

An amateur golfer must play the game and conduct himself in accordance with the Rules.

1-2. Amateur Status

Amateur Status is a universal condition of eligibility for playing in golf competitions as an amateur golfer. A person who acts contrary to the Rules may forfeit his amateur status and as a result will be ineligible to play in amateur competitions.

1-3. Purpose of the Rules

The purpose of the Rules is to maintain the distinction between amateur and professional golf and to ensure that amateur golf, which is largely self-regulating with regard to the Rules of Golf and handicapping, is free from the pressures that may follow from uncontrolled sponsorship and financial incentive.

Through appropriate limits and restrictions, the Rules are also intended to encourage amateur golfers to focus on the game's challenges and inherent rewards, rather than any financial gain.

11 minutes ago, Patch said:

Or, should they just be considered "just" a golfer

To define "just a golfer" would categorize probably the majority who play the game.
While, I play the game by the rules, I'm only recognized by the USGA as an Amateur if I would play in sanctioned events.

Defining "Levels of Play?"
There are many levels, some which are sanctioned, others would be social.
When a person is invited to play golf with friends and it's their first time ever holding a golf club,
would they be considered a "Golfer?" Probably not, but they would be included in statistics as a patron and paid a green fee.
Or they may buy a pair of golf shoes, or other items, the money they spend ends up in calculations and evaluations to the business sense.

I'm labeled as a golfer by family and friends. Seldom does anyone ever call me an Amateur.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

15 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I'm labeled as a golfer by family and friends. Seldom does anyone ever call me an Amateur.

Same here, but that's only because they've never seen me play ;-)

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

18 minutes ago, billchao said:

Those kind of players, like the guys that only play golf in scramble format tournaments once or twice a year and only shows up to smoke cigars and drink beers, are not golfers IMO (not that there's anything wrong with that). They're just people who happen to play golf. I go fishing occasionally or play chess, but I wouldn't consider myself a fisherman or a chess player.

I agree with this ^^^ because being a "golfer" is also a lifestyle, even if you're not very good at the game. 

7 hours ago, billchao said:

Same here, but that's only because they've never seen me play 

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to consider myself "just another golfer". I will move on from being an amateur. :cry:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

18 minutes ago, Patch said:

I will move on from being an amateur.

You can still consider yourself as an amateur. It's all in the mind - they say.... :-)

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Here it is. 

This was commonly agreed upon when I worked in the golf industry.  

Tour pro: Self explanatory

Amateur golfer: someone who competes In (usga or their countries equvelant) amature non-handicaped tourneys. Such as mid-am, state-am, city-am, etc. 

Club golfer: Someone who keeps a handicap. Plays pretty frequently. Participantes is club events like men's league, scrambles, club championships, etc 

Recreational golfer: plays maybe once a month and doesn't keep score or follow rules. Is out there for fun with friends and zero expectations of proficiency.  

• Like 1

I'm a tour pro stuck inside a club golfer's body.

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

• iacas changed the title to Levels of Play Among Amateurs

I think the interesting question is can people who play once or twice a year in a social context, and who don't really care how well they play be considered golfers. My opinion is, NO! These are people who play golf, or more properly, play AT golf once in a while. A true golfer cares about the state of his or her game. They take care of the courses they play on, and they strive to get better at it.

I think amateur is or a more or less serious player, They know the basic rules and care about them. They want the real score, not a Hollywood score and are trying to improve.

Below them lurk casual golfers, for whom none of that applies.

1 hour ago, cutchemist42 said:

If you dont play by the exact rules of golf, are you then an amateur golfer?

No, I am an amateur and I always play by the rules. The rules are for all competitions, amateur and professional.

I would dare say never playing by the rules makes you a person who plays golf as opposed to a golfer.

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I am a Senior Recreational Golfer....and have no false hopes of ever being anything else...I play once a week...very seldom go to range or even hit balls before a round...Closest course is 45 minutes away and there are no driving ranges in the area.

I don't really see why it matters what label you put on people.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 2184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!