IGNORED

Old used putters...

Note: This thread is 2103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since I am a newcomer to this forum, I wanted to share with you a rather funny You Tube video that I just made...  I was out running errands, and decided to stop in that used sporting goods place here in town called "Play It Again Sports" (you might have one in your town too).   They have everything in there...  You name it, they got it.  Some stuff is complete junk and beat all to heck, some stuff is really good, you just never know...  Anyway, I stumbled upon an old Odyssey Dual Force putter for only $9.95 and is was almost spooky - I swear, that old putter spoke to me and said, "...a little up to the right...  Over... There you go, you found me!  Buy me, clean me up, and give me new life!"  So, as you can tell, it came home with me!  Ha ha ha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpICvh8bAXY

It will accompany my highly prized, custom made/component mallet putter that I've had for probably 15 or so years and will NEVER get rid of.  It is a generic component of the Odyssey Rossie II mallet putter that a friend of my old former next-door neighbor made for me back in the day.  I soon got creative in MS Word using that "Word Art" template thingamajig on my computer, and made a nametag of my name printed on glossy photo paper, cut out to fit, and I used my wife's hot glue gun and glued it in place.

zQwGT5H.jpg

So, with all that said...  I have a question for all the seasoned veteran golfers on here.  How many putters do you own?

:cobra: --- older model 454 Comp, 10.5° face, reg shaft.
:ping: --- old, classic set of i3+ irons, 3W, 5W, 21° Hybrid, etc...
:odyssey:--- an old DF550 blade putter that I just can't part with!
:titleist: --- NXT Tour, DT Tru Soft, and a few prized Pro-V1's 

I have three, currently using an older 2 ball Odyssey.    I did try an Evnroll that was fantastic at Carl's Golfland

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have 9, and one of those is damaged. The damaged one I just retired after 20+ years of it being my gamer. 

A Carbite, Odessey 2 Ball, a Scottie,  Heavy Putter, Zone 1 (damaged), a Rail Gun (original), and three really expensive ones that I could never putt well with. 

The Heavy Putter is now my current gamer. 

The most unique one is the Scottie. When it hits the ball, it gives off a sound like a tuning fork. The Rail Gun is the strangest looking one of the bunch. The 2Ball has the most history since it has been in 3 relatives bags, and finally made it back to me just recently.

Don't know why I keep that many, but I think memories have alot to do with it. Some were gifts, one was won in a raffle, the rest I purchased looking for that "magic" one. The cheapest one of the bunch was my gamer for over 20 years. :-P

Edit, I lied. I have 10 putters. I forgot about my "Enterprise" putter. A novelty if there ever was one. 

Edited by Patch
  • Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I think I have 7 or 8, but only the Odyssey in my sig is in play.

I have an old Wilson that I have used off and on for over 35 years. I will never get rid of it, but it is on reserve status. If I get back into vintage golf, it will go in the bag.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

My father and I have a common collection of putters that I keep in my garage. I haven't counted them in a while, but there must be more than 20 of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I have probably around 10 putters including some cheap zinc putters I purchased when I first started playing years ago, they are junk. But I have Ping and Odessey putters that I have gotten over the years, never really found one that I liked. Last year for some unknown reason I purchased a Piretti Teramo 365G semi mallet putter on line having never hit it. Turns out to be the best putter I have ever had, I use it all the time now. Just a lucky buy, for me. I don't recommend buying one on-line having never hit it though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I frequently drop into Play it Sports when traveling. There's usually one in every city. From time to time you find a bargain, but most of the stuff that's any good is overpriced compared to EBay and good golf-only retail stores (Edwin Watts, etc.) that sell used clubs. 

Something else to keep an eye out for is your local thrift store. Over the years I've bought a Ping putter for $3 that I resold for $25 and a Vokey wedge for $9.95 that I re-sold for $40. At one store I found a set of MacGregor forged irons that was missing the 6-iron. I bought the set for 19.95 and found the matching 6-iron on EBay for 10. So now I have a nice set of graphite-shafted forged irons for $30. Based on EBay prices I could probably sell them for $100, but I'm keeping them as a backup. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

9 minutes ago, RandyBobbitt said:

I frequently drop into Play it Sports when traveling. There's usually one in every city. From time to time you find a bargain, but most of the stuff that's any good is overpriced compared to EBay and good golf-only retail stores (Edwin Watts, etc.) that sell used clubs. 

Something else to keep an eye out for is your local thrift store. Over the years I've bought a Ping putter for $3 that I resold for $25 and a Vokey wedge for $9.95 that I re-sold for $40. At one store I found a set of MacGregor forged irons that was missing the 6-iron. I bought the set for 19.95 and found the matching 6-iron on EBay for 10. So now I have a nice set of graphite-shafted forged irons for $30. Based on EBay prices I could probably sell them for $100, but I'm keeping them as a backup. 

My wife frequents Thift Stores for her charities. I go with her and head straight to the sporting goods sections. Over the years I have found some good brand name clubs. I pick em out, and she give them to her charity of choice. They in turn sell them again for their own profit. It's a win/win situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Just the 3 now:

Cleveland SmartSquare blade

GEL Diamond

Yes! Stephanie I4Tech belly

Used to have a RAM Zebra but sold that the other year

• Thumbs Up 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Zebra ..... Yep that is my long time favo !

I bought mine new about 35 yrs ago, used it always, made a few side steps to Cameron and back to the Zebra ..... For me it is the best putter, but because it is a bit light it is not the best for long putts.

zebra.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Wow, there's a blast from the past....

I remember the Ram Zebra mallet putter!  A golf buddy had one years and years ago.  If I remember also, I think he put a piece of lead tape along the bottom edge to give it a little more heft.

:cobra: --- older model 454 Comp, 10.5° face, reg shaft.
:ping: --- old, classic set of i3+ irons, 3W, 5W, 21° Hybrid, etc...
:odyssey:--- an old DF550 blade putter that I just can't part with!
:titleist: --- NXT Tour, DT Tru Soft, and a few prized Pro-V1's 

1 hour ago, butchammon said:

Wow, there's a blast from the past....

I remember the Ram Zebra mallet putter!  A golf buddy had one years and years ago.  If I remember also, I think he put a piece of lead tape along the bottom edge to give it a little more heft.

The later models had a sole plate you could unscrew. I knew a few guys filled the head with anything from washers to sand!

• Informative 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I have 9 putters. Use an Axis 1 now which has incredible balance. Have an original Scottie Futura which has made visits back to my bag but gets replaced. Two response 86 masters Nicklaus putters. One without a grip I found at flea market.  Two ping ansers one about brand new Have had a Heavy, came/went. A clear plastic putter called clearview, came went. Have an old wilson Jim Ferrier and an old New Mills the Ray model.  And an old Ray Cook Zebra mallet. I pull 4 putters out about every 6 months and have a putt off for which will go in bag...Ha

• Thumbs Up 1

I am one of the rarer golfers that doesn't constantly tinker with my clubs.   I typically buy a set off the shelf and play them for 10+ years and then do it again.   I can honestly say in the last 35+ years, I have really only used 2 main putters.   An old ping answer, and then a TM Rossa.   I just updated my clubs this year and put together an Odyssey putter that I had the head floating around the house for quite a few years.  So we will see if that one works out, or if I go back to one of the other two.  In my thinking, if the face is square and flat, it will work as well as any other putter.     

If I searched every corner of the house I might find a total of 5 putters +/-    

Now that I think about it, in that same 35 years, I have really only used two different sets of irons too.   A set of TM Tour Preferred T-D ones I bought in HS back in the 80's (loved), and then a set of TM Tour Burner Irons from 2000ish (hated) and now new TM M1's (yet to use)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I probably have 5 or 6, not exactly sure. But I am sure that my oldest is an original Acushnet "Bullseye" putter. Every once in a while I'll pull it out and take it to the putting green for S's & G's, and wonder how I ever managed to putt with it!

I once read that you should never sell, or give away, an old putter. You should just retire them and put them in your closet. When your current gamer goes south, which it will at some point, you can pull some of those old ones out and find something that works!

• Thumbs Up 1

I have 6-7 putters. One my grandfather gave me that is hickory with a rusted iron blade. Pretty cool. But once I got my Edel, it's all I ever use now.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 4/7/2018 at 3:06 PM, butchammon said:

Since I am a newcomer to this forum, I wanted to share with you a rather funny You Tube video that I just made...  I was out running errands, and decided to stop in that used sporting goods place here in town called "Play It Again Sports" (you might have one in your town too).   They have everything in there...  You name it, they got it.  Some stuff is complete junk and beat all to heck, some stuff is really good, you just never know...  Anyway, I stumbled upon an old Odyssey Dual Force putter for only $9.95 and is was almost spooky - I swear, that old putter spoke to me and said, "...a little up to the right...  Over... There you go, you found me!  Buy me, clean me up, and give me new life!"  So, as you can tell, it came home with me!  Ha ha ha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpICvh8bAXY

It will accompany my highly prized, custom made/component mallet putter that I've had for probably 15 or so years and will NEVER get rid of.  It is a generic component of the Odyssey Rossie II mallet putter that a friend of my old former next-door neighbor made for me back in the day.  I soon got creative in MS Word using that "Word Art" template thingamajig on my computer, and made a nametag of my name printed on glossy photo paper, cut out to fit, and I used my wife's hot glue gun and glued it in place.

zQwGT5H.jpg

So, with all that said...  I have a question for all the seasoned veteran golfers on here.  How many putters do you own?

Sigh. I think the number now hovers over 40. I will post a pic of some good old fashion putter smut if I have to, (oh! oh! please ask!!). Some beat to hell. Some beautiful. One that I played exclusively for over 20 years before I knew any better (ie equipment is the key to scoring, although I have ZERO subpar rounds since I became an equipment junkie). One Concept 2 Circle T that is worth more than my car. That's in my bag as of now. I like that I can throw 30g weights in on slow greens and 15g weights on fast ones and 20-25 gram weights if they're in between. I didn't buy the hype... Until I owned it. I probably still putt better with my 20 year gamer, bought for 20 bucks from WalMart but I FEEL so much better using the Circle T. A car and a WalMart putter better, if I have to be exact. 

On 4/7/2018 at 5:46 PM, Patch said:

I have 9, and one of those is damaged. The damaged one I just retired after 20+ years of it being my gamer. 

A Carbite, Odessey 2 Ball, a Scottie,  Heavy Putter, Zone 1 (damaged), a Rail Gun (original), and three really expensive ones that I could never putt well with. 

The Heavy Putter is now my current gamer. 

The most unique one is the Scottie. When it hits the ball, it gives off a sound like a tuning fork. The Rail Gun is the strangest looking one of the bunch. The 2Ball has the most history since it has been in 3 relatives bags, and finally made it back to me just recently.

Don't know why I keep that many, but I think memories have alot to do with it. Some were gifts, one was won in a raffle, the rest I purchased looking for that "magic" one. The cheapest one of the bunch was my gamer for over 20 years. :-P

Edit, I lied. I have 10 putters. I forgot about my "Enterprise" putter. A novelty if there ever was one. 

Carbite? I have an old Carbite 66* Wedge. Every time I'd say it I'd say "Carbite Check, Check!"  The 3 times that I hit that darnable thing well, it checked like no ones business. The rest was blade city and I now know why 66* wedges are not in high demand. I could hit that stupid club backwards pretty easily. But it would shred the Titleist Professional 100 and spin right back to my feet if I did, that much I know! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 2103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!